My laptop lcd screen has gone black!

Username: Qazqazq

Post Number: 1
i have this medion laptop and suddenly one day the screen goes black. i know its on as i can just make out the words on the logon screen. i tried to go in safe mode, no change, change resoulstion, colour quality (16-32bit) but no change. also tried to rub the screen to bring the pixels back to life again (sounds like magic...) but no change

anyone got any ideas to help? i have warranty aswell.

cb
Unregistered guest
I just need someone to tell me if a comp with these

Pentium4 3.0 Ghz 533 FSB
512 MB Ram
128 Gig Memory
Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 900

Will work with half life 2?
I tried doom3 and i play it fine but hf2 is said to be more intense graphic requires so someone tell me if i could play it thanks

Username: Jesusofsuburbia

Post Number: 3
Sorry, I'm really late with this post. But this happened to my old Toshiba laptop. The screen just went really dark and eventually went black. Well, little did I know, something was rubbing against the darn brightness adjustment thing on the side. That may be your problem. Otherwise, I dunno, sorry.

Unregistered guest
mike i dont know if you are still there but i have a toshiba satellite and its going through the same thing.. I dont know where this brightnees adjustment thing on the side is.. I am a lil worried thinking that it may be a burnt out lcd.... can you elaborate on your correction method please

Bronze Member
Username: Joshockey

Post Number: 18
i had the same problem with a compaq presario found out it was the lcd screen cable i hope that helps.

littlelady
Unregistered guest
Hi,
I have a Dell latitude laptop, and the same has happened to me. My screen has gone near to black, i can see that it is working because i can just about see the background. I don't know what is wrong and would love some help. Thank you.

Bronze Member
Username: Joshockey

Post Number: 24
i had a compaq laptop that did the same thing more than likely it is your lcd cable but try readjusting your monitors color refer to your owners manual on that one.

Anonymous

You might have a burned-out flourescent bulb. Laptops work by transmitting light THROUGH the lcd panel. The light comes from a big ol' flourescent lamp behind the panel.

Can you see stuff on your panel in very bright light?

If so, you may have a dead lamp.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 1618
It isn't a bulb per se, but rather an EL panel behind the LCD.

If it was a bulb, you would have uneven lighting.

someone else
Unregistered guest
ive had the same problem with my very old laptop, its just the backlight inverter, i replaced it and the screen was brighter than ever

lanci3170
Unregistered guest
i have a gateway solo 3450 and same problem as all of you with backlite probs...found some really great site that gave full directions on how to take it apart myself as to save the $200 or $300 fix it fee, and would have cost me just $18 for the bulb, but like an idiot forgot to save to my faves and have never been able to find it again. These were detailed picture for picture directions. Could use some help here...thanks

me0000112
Unregistered guest
sometimes if u cool it, it goes away happened wif a digital camera

Username: Sp311sp

I am having that problem with my Toshiba laptop similar to what everyone has been discussing. The screen shows the Toshiba and Intel logo on boot up but when it goes to Windows, it is all dark and I cannot see anything at all except the vague ability to make out my desktop icons.

How can I fix this? It seems to happen intermittenly. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesnt. I do not want to spend boatloads to fix this.

Any ideas?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2798
Yes, the inverter is going bad, or, less likely, the lighting panel behind the LCD is going bad. Ultimately, you will need new parts.

Username: Divinemushroom

bought a gateway POS (piece of :#@!) for like 150 bucks. Now I am having the black screen too. Thanks for all the suggestions. I did find a site with a pic by pic process or dismantling and replacing the inverter. wish me luck!

Silver Member
Username: Bigsim

Australia

Post Number: 121
Good luck :-)

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3248
Sarah, be aware that when the inverter is bad, you can usually still see things on the screen if you look hard enough, if the screen is absolutely dead black, it might not be the inverter at all.

Username: Divinemushroom

Post Number: 2
Thanx Jexx for the pointer! Too often people do jump at the first explanation of the problem they are having because it sounds so similar to others issues.
I can barely see the welcome message and the little av that I have for 'my account', so from the discussion thus far I am fairly certain that it is the inverter in question.
After reading other forums and reviews of gateways as well as talking to my own company tech head I have learned that my black screen is probably a result of my nb getting too hot ALL THE TIME, the heat issue is a result of inadequate cooling aids (the internal fan) and that the fan is unable to do its job because the internal power supply is also inadequate. UGH. Do all gateways suck or just mine? So provided I can find all the parts that I need to upgrade myself at an efficient cost hopefully my pc will be up to par in NO TIME. YAY!
Thanks again for that pointer. Kinda like a dr's second opinion. Make sure you get the right diagnosis before you start the cure.

Sarah

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3259
Actually, you have fairly common problems. As far as the overheating goes, it is usually caused by dust collecting in the heat sink-no hot air can escape and it just stays vacant inside the laptop. Hold something in the fan, and spray a can or air into there or something similar. Some laptops make it easy to access the fan/heatsink for cleaning by just unscrewing a panel or other simple method.

Anyway, once you get the inverter out, you can type in any numbers you find on the board itself into Google or even ebay. You should be able to find the inverter board this way, and for a good price too. Expect to pay anywhere from $20-160 for a new board, though on mode average, they cost around $60.

Username: Tonysycongle

Jexx,
I have an A105 Toshiba laptop 1 years old. The LCD screen sometimes blinks then goes black..sometimes the screen look good for 5 hours. I could see the mouse cursor and other desktop icons when the screen went black.
How I know for sure it a light bulb or inverter board?
Thanks,

Silver Member
Username: Techme

MIAMI, FL USA

Post Number: 103
on back you should have vga port connect monitor to it if it works you have a bad inverter or possibility lcd cable is loose.

Username: Xsharpknivesx

Sydney, NSW Australia

i have a toshiba laptop. I hibernated it and went away for a couple of hours i opened it back up to turn it back on but it was just back so i held the power button in so it would turn off. I turned it back on and the start up windows logo came on as per usual. THEN it came up with
"the last attemp to restart the system from its previous location failed. Attempt to restart again?

.delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu
or
.continue with system restart"

so i went with continue because i dont want to delete anything and it just went black again!!! I have been advised to go with my gut and not press delete restorantion does anyone have any ideas on what is wrong or what to do?

Username: Crlutes

Louisville, KY United States

I just ran into a similar but not exact problem with my brother-in-law's laptop, an eMachine. The screen would go dark, but not black, so if you looked REAL hard you could see the images there in the darkness.

After I decided that it probably was a hardware, rather than a software issue. I guessed some sort of short or cable/switch going bad. So, the next time it went dark, I lowered the lid nearly all the way and, VOILA, the screen was lit completely again. I was able to repeat this over and over, so while we don't know exactly what it is, it seems like it must be a connection of some sort between the screen and the guts of the laptop.

Any suggestions would help. Also, any of you who haven't tried this, it's worth a try because at least you can be sure it's hardware rather than software related. And be better informed when you take it to a shop for maintenance.

Username: Del85

Hi I have a Toshiba laptop and its starts up and flashes the Toshiba logo and then goes blank i assume when its starting up in windows but it has allowed me to access the setup utility with no problems any ideas???

Username: Viller

The best way to see if its a bad power inverter board to the back light or if its the backlight "bulbs" is to shine a flashlight on the screen with the computer running.

If you can now see the text on the LCD then its a "back light" problem, the power inverter or the bulbs.

If you can not see any text its not the inverter or bulb. Try hooking your laptop to a external monitor. If the montior works that means your video card is good and that you more than likly have a failed LCD.

replacing the Inverter and entire LCD is normaly a pretty easy task.

Once you have figured out which item is bad open up the computer remove the part and search EBAY for the model number ON the ITEM not your computer.

"Laptops can have many different types of screens per Model number"

~Good Luck~

Post Number: 4
Delisiah

If you can enter setup and the the video remains normal then I would say everything is fine with your hardware.

Sounds like there is an issue with windows locking up and never producing the Starting windows screen.

I would suggest trying to reinstall windows to clear this issue.

Post Number: 5
Carl Lutes,

I think your right sounds like a loose connecter to the power inverter for the back light these are normaly located in the bottom of the LCD bezel.

Most laptops will have 4 screws located in the 4 corners of the plastic around the LCD most always located under a small round stickers or under a small rubber circle.

check the connections there if thats not it then you may have to dismantle the base. wich can be a pain for even the most seasoned techs. every laptop comes apart differently.

You can also do a EBAY search for LCD power inverter to see what they look like.

Good luck and remeber to be gental with the lcd if you have to remove it they can brake easly.

Username: Techri

Providence, RI USA

I too have a gateway 3450 with inverter issues. Can someone point me to a site which has a -how to- there?
Thanks
David

Username: Evan904

Hey, I got the same kind problem, Ive got a acer that my dad gave me its almost 2 years old. One day it flicked blacked them back again. it did that a couple times and now its totally black, I can also see faintly the back group apon start up but each time i turn it on it appears to be getting darker, could someone tell me what is probably wrong with it and the cost of what I need to fix it

Username: Wchan

I have a Toshiba M45-S331 laptop. The LCD display screen intermittently goes black. I can see faintly see an image in the background. I am going to attempt to fix it myself but wanted to know "How to tell if it's the inverter or the light bulb that needs replacing?" I dont want to spend money on the wrong replacement part.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
wanyin,

replace the convter 1st, the bulbs are normaly inside the LCD panel its self and very hard to replace with out destorying the screen.

Apperently on that model the inverter is prone to burn up heres a replacment from ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Inverter-for-Toshiba-Satellite-M45-S331-15-4-WXGA_W0QQitemZ3 10014228526QQihZ021QQcategoryZ52478QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQtrksidZp1638.m118.l1 247QQcmdZViewItem

make sure the screen size is the same Good luck!

Viller

Username: Ikenfixit

HS, Michigan

CCFL As Well as Inverter failure is common for anything that utilizes Flat panel technology.. Inverters are easy to change and the CCFL or more commonly known as Backlight is generally located in the bottom of the panel itself. (Some are easy to change others are an Issue if you are not versed in this field).. www.moniserv.com has the CCFL's, Inverters can be repaired as generally the Boost coil or Piezo electric X-former is the component that fails. Weve repaired/replaced too many to list and just though I'd give my 2 cents worth. Good luck!

Username: Davstr7

Have a look at this link , it might be of help
http://www.nylaptopparts.com/blog/blog1.php/2009/08/09/welcome-to-b2evolution

Username: Yellow_creamy

If you have a laptop, what you can try is unplug it, take out the battery, and hold the power button for 20 seconds. Let go then wait for one minute. Plug it in again and put in the battery. Then try and turn it on. I hope this works!

Username: Solrac3

I have similar problem with one Toshiba laptop, after 5 months of use, the screen got black and barely can see a ghost. Extern monitor works fine. I do have two of these laptop so, I put the inverter and the screen from the one that is not working into the one that is working and everthing works fine. So I am sure video card, inverter and screen are good. Now I have no idea where else to looking for the problem!!!?? if any}body has an idea please let me know, thanks.... by the way I already did that thing to take out battery and hold on power button for 60 seconds and} it didn't work for me.

Username: Candypants

Post Number: 8
I once had the same problem,and i solved it by removing the memory and inserting it again,maybe just because it was loose!

Username: Astrid

Had the same problem with HP laptop. No sign of image even with flashlight. Tried Esy's suggestion to unplug, remove battery, hold power button down for 20 seconds, waited a minute, put battery back in and then turned power back on. Worked like a charm Thanks Esy.

Username: Toshu205

I have a similar problem with my Toshiba satellite U205-S5044 which is 5 years old now. The screen is almost black, I could see a shade of an opened window after I read this blog. I am using a spare screen now. Can it be something else beside the converter and the bulb or light pannel? Like a software upgrade for some screen drivers or anything beside a hardware problem?
Thanks!

Username: Rjon

Allen, TX

Jexx,

My Fujitsu laptop has been exhibiting the possible inverter problem or LCD cable problem you mentioned related to a blackened screen that you can barely see is booting up correctly. I started troubleshooting by adding an external display. The external display starts up with the boot screen, followed by the Microsoft Windows logo, then goes black along with the laptop. The laptop does not show the boot screen or the Windows logo and with only a minor flash of light at some point during the boot sequence, it is blackened all the time. Does this sound like the same problem or could it be that my display settings in XP somehow became corrupted? If that's a possibility, do you know how I can try to reset the display settings without messing everything else up?

Silver Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 616
If the external monitor is also dark, the video "board" is toast.

Username: Solrac3

if the lamp is ok, if you conect to extern monitor and works, if the invert is good. Try to check the cable under keyboard. Remove the keyboard and touch every cable specially the screen cable. Mine worked fine after I did that. The cable was loose. The cable that goes to screen. After 6 month I fixed in just 30 minutes. I hope that can help you.

Username: Alfatrazi

Hello to everyone in here,my name is ben and I somehow landed here hoping to find a soultion to an issue I have with my three year old gateway w350I A week ago a vertical yellow line appeared on the right side of the screen, it would turn blue on a black background the next day it had left as it came, but kept reappearing sporadically, today the screen we almost completely dark but I can still see the icons in back, and it does work allright still but its only on black and dark grey screen, tried hooking it to an external monitor but monitor showed "no signal" I am living in peru right now and so far three people who now about computers dont have a clue what it could be, one said the video card, another said the lcd would be toast.. im in despair anyone please help I depend for work on my laptop and cant afford a new one thank you very much to anyone who might help me, my email is alfatrazi at hotmail.com

Silver Member

Post Number: 620
To turn on the video signal to the external display you generally have to tell the laptop to do that. On my Dell, it is the F8 key.

Dear Ieee488 Thank you for the helpful advice, as soon as I get home will try that, thing is, lets say it does show on the monitor what could that mean, or it does not show, what then? I get confused with so many possibilities Any help will be greatly appreciated b

Silver Member

Post Number: 621
If you see an image on the external monitor that means that some part of the LCD assembly is bad. You can replace it.

If you don't see anything, then the motherboard has to be replaced.

Thank you; Ieee488, I will try that for now, see where it leads me unfortuantely I am very illiterate and most people here only will rip you off without really knowing what is wrong any chance of speaking more to you perhaps by email mine is alfatrazi at hotmail .com
thank you

Silver Member
Username: Djsmith

Post Number: 418
if you can see the dos mod , when turning on the pc it's not you monitar...

you can buy a docking system and try to get one that has a plug in for a monitar.

or you may need to reinstall your windows system to fix this. If you have a Windows recovery CD, incert it and follow the instructions.

in the wrost case Ieee488 may be right and you will need to replace the mother board unless, you have a slot for a video card on your mother board and use that one insted of the on board one if that's what you use.

Username: Jerardo

Hi. I have a Toshiba Sat. Laptop M35X-149. My kids broke the screen and I replaced it with a screen I bought on ebay. When I started the laptop it had a white screen and you could barely see the icons. I changed the back ground and now you can see the icon. When I open a program it is still white and you can barely see the letters or numbers. The letters and numbers are partially dispalyed. Can anyone help.

Username: Zanetti77

hi , i have an acer aspire 7520g and the screen was displaying pink, green and red vertical lines so I decided to change the lcd inverter but had no luck, so i changed the back light too and this time I could see my icons but the screen was too dark. I tired to press fn + (an arrow key to increase brightness) and the screen still remained dark. Any suggestions pls?????

Silver Member

Post Number: 649
What you should have done first with the Acer was to verify that the video chip was still good. All you had to do was hook it up to an external monitor.

Now you find out after you've spent all that money only to find out that the video card is BAD.

Username: Zanetti77

I did check it out on an externaL MONITOR and it worked fine so its not the video card. Is it possible that the invertor is not sending enough current to the backlight?

Username: Kechanna

Sullia, Karnataka India

Hi... I have compaq 6715b, yesterday while i browsing, the screen suddenly went black... I think not completely off, because, something different than screen that is completely off... Then i switched it on and then again made it on... But display is now completely off... I mean not becoming on... Nothing appears... All lights on keyboard including power light is becoming on... Whats the problem and what to do? Can anybody help me??

Bronze Member
Username: Kevinwhite

Post Number: 19
I think your monitor has been out of order. You can try to contact the after survice of your notebook.

Username: Bastik

Post Number: 5
hi
i have an HP laptop G62 and been using it for sometime now
but just yesterday i realised the screen just went plain white...
i tried pressing the restart button but keeps doing the same thing... it comes on by itself and it goes off..
can anyone help me ???

Username: Shekar6martha

I have a solution for this problem..... even i got the same problem when i restart my hp laptop.... the solution is " u have to replace a 3 volts battery in your laptop, which is attached to your mother board ". Try this, it may solve your problem... It helped me a lot..... Don't neglect it... That battery has to be replaced for every 2 years...

Silver Member

Post Number: 658
The CMOS battery has nothing whatsoever to do with a dark LCD screen.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us