Back panel USB and firewire lost after installing SP2

Username: Mozzer

Post Number: 2
Hello -- I'm not quite sure if a similar thread has been posted before -- apologies if it has -- but any help would be much appreciated.

I used to be able to use both my front/back panel USB 2.0 ports and firewire on a Win XP Home edition (SP2) machine but since I clean-installed the system to get rid of viruses and upgraded to Win XP Pro (SP2) I lost my 4 back panel USB ports and my firewire. The front panel USBs are working fine.

The Control Panel (Device Manager) tells me that all the USB ports and the IEE1394 card are enabled, they are working properly and that there aren't any conflicts. However, when I try to plug in my Panasonic NVGS11 camcorder or the printer to the back panel USBs or firewire, nothing shows up. Nothing is detected. The front panel, as I said, no problems, camcorder and printer both recognised.. I don't really mind about printing but capturing DV via firewire is a big issue for me. Obviously, for quality reasons, I would prefer capturing footage via firewire rather than USB.

I checked my drivers and they are all up-to-date (at least that's what Microsoft tells me)..I also checked the BIOS, everything fine there too (all USBs enabled). I tried a few times to uninstall and re-install the firewire card, but still no joy. Any ideas ? Does that sound like a software or hardware problem ? A motherboard or Win XP SP2 problem? Or is it that my settings are not set to enable my back USB controllers and firewire ? The frustrating thing is that I don't know the source of the problem because as soon as I clean-installed the system, I installed the SP2 so I haven't got a clue what caused the back USBs and firewire to stop working.. Any help, more than welcome.

Many thanks

Nick

Anonymous

Check this:
http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.aspx?catid=16&threadid=66201&enterthread= y

Anonymous

This is a Microsoft problem with the SP2 and I am 100% sure that SP2 is the cause. I know this because all my USB ports quit working after I installed SP2, and rolling back the system (system restore - Control Panel/System/System Restore) would make the USB ports work again. I have done this 2 times and I am doing it again!

The first time it occurred after I installed SP2. My USB optical mouse and printer were all lost. After trying to fix it for several hours with no success, I decided to roll the system back to the last date before the SP2 installation. All the USB ports came back.

The second time it happened because I forgot the first incidence and enabled automatic Windows update! So I had to roll it back again and then disabled the auto update.

This time I am installing a piece of software that refuse to install without updating Windows. Since I need to use the software only temporarily, I decided to install SP2 and roll the system back again after I finish using the software.

This is really an SP2 problem. It's a shame that SP2 has been out for such a long time and many people have reported this exact problem, but Microsoft has not come up with a solution!

JjB
Unregistered guest
I'm currently having this exact problem. All the controllers show up fine in Device Manager and I can't get it to update the drivers. I even tried flashing my BIOS, but that did nothing.

Unregistered guest
I am using a Canon BJC 4300 - I was using a that printer until I downloaded the latest updates for Microsoft XP. While I've managed to get the printer working it is just throwing out one blank page after another. The printer is making all the 'right noises' as if it were printing, but on inspection of the page, there isn't a mark on them. Can someone please help with this one. As a writer, the printed word is very important to me. Many thanks.

Unregistered guest
i also lost usb with sp2, but was able to fix it by changing the usb drivers in the device manager the following way:

1. Expand "USB Serial Bus Controllers" in device manager
2. Right-click on the USB Host Controller driver (if there is more than 1, then repeat this process for them all) and choose update driver
3. allow windows to search for software
4. choose to install from a specific location
5. choose "dont search. I will choose the driver..."
6. choose "Standard OpenHCD USB Host contoller", or just try whatever driver is listed, starting with the bottom of the list.

My device manager listed 4 usb host drivers, and i regained usb support after changing 2 of the drivers as described above.

LoveToPlayGolf
Unregistered guest
MadCrazyGeorge - A most excellent tip that fixed my suddenly inop mouse after reinstalling sp2. Thanks much!

Headrush
Unregistered guest
MadCrazyGeorge - I have had SP2 on this system before, with no major problems, I also have it on a second system with no issues, so not sure what the trigger is. I had done a Windows repair on this system a while back. I was certain I had reinstalled SP2. My wife uses this machine, and so when I saw that there were updates I ran it. USB Hub, printer, keyboard etc were working. Windows Restore unsuccesful for 3 seperate days (BTW I am a tech and hate Windows Restore because it causes more problems than it fixes) Your advice worked on the first usb device I reinstalled in Device Manager, at 330am, (as a tech, and since this is wife's machine, I cannot sleep when something isnt working right).
SO THANK YOU for saving me some ZZZZ
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us