Calling for computer experts; hardware problems

Bronze Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 55
I have a computer now around 4 years old and I'm having problems with it. My 2 disk drives dont work and when i start up my pc only 1 of the slave drivers is detected. My cd drive will open but doesnt work, my dvd wont even open! Along with this my computer likes to delete hardware like BT broadband. I try to connect to bt broadband and it brings up an error. Previously when I had this problem reinstalling broadband made it work. However now i cant seeing as my drives dont work. Does anyone know how to fix this problem....HELP!!!
Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Edwarl

Melbourne, Victoria Australia.

Post Number: 33
It looks as though your BIOS and CMOS settings in your SET-UP may have got very upset. Maybe your system battery is going !! Is your clock losing time?Going into Settings and then Device Manager,or Winxx equivalent,would tell you but not if you don't know the jargon !! You've got to know what you are doing to go into SET-UP or else it is worse - if it could be! You need a technical friend on the spot, I think.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
Im not totally familiar with all you've mentioned Laurie, but Ive checked my clockspeed and its fine. My pc is 1.11ghz (pretty old but good) and it never goes below 1108mhz. Device manager only recognises my cd drive not my dvd drive. What i didn't tell you was that I've had this drive problem before and it actually fixed itself then broke again many times reoccuringly. It worked for months until now and its really annoying me. I've double checked my bios and is says:
Primary master: (a strange mix of no.s and letters here)

Primary slave : Auto (but it doesnt actually detect anything unlike it used to)

Secondary master : Auto (same as primary slave)

Secondary slave : Auto (same as primary slave)

Does this help for you or anyone to understand what problem I'm having?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
p.s. i forgot to mention that i got home tonight and my internet is working again!!!!??? somehow!?

Bronze Member
Username: Edwarl

Melbourne, Victoria Australia.

Post Number: 34
Ok Jelvis. We MAY get somewhere. And I'm sorry but I meant "real time" clock on your PC.That is an indicator re the condition of your CMOS battery. If the battery is getting tired - but yours should be OK - the clock starts to lose time. But I think that the first thing to do would be,in SET UP get your primary master over to "auto". That could be the cause of all your problems.That's your booting(able)drive ,your C drive most usually.Your BIOS should set it up correctly AUTOMATICALLY during bootup. I could be wrong but that's the first thing I would be trying.It seems that you are familiar with "...hit DEL" during boot up and then working in SET UP. Great caution is necessary but what I have said should be OK. You will SAVE and EXIT on completion. That may affect your i/net too, all to the good. Good luck...L.

Username: Chunky_lazott

Monmouth, Oregon

Post Number: 7
your computer is 4 years old, have you added drives and/or fans and lights, if so, maybe your pulling too much power. you might try a new power supply.

Unregistered guest
my computer tells me primary drive-ATAPI Incompatible.. how do i check the setup when all i can see is press f1 to resume .. i want to check the setup

Unregistered guest
I'm having a somewhat related problem. I just transfered my cd rw drive from one computer to another. I am 99% positive that I have installed it correctly. (wires going where and so on...) But now when I try to set it as my primary slave drive absolutly nothing is detected. I know I did it right. I re-checked the wires 20 times.... I have no idea what the problem is..... I have tried everything I can possibly think of.. So can anybody tell me the very simple and logical solution that should be obvious that I have somehow missed?

CheekyChapster
Unregistered guest
My PC stops in the boot section with "ATAPI incompatible device on secondary slave"

This occurs on machines with DVD/CDRW combo drives when the BIOS is set to AUTO for the device.
Setting the devices on the secondary controller to NOT INSTALLED will solve the problem and also boot the PC faster than previously with no detrimental affect in Windows.
Devices such as Removable Media devices (zips, orbs) and DVD/CD-ROMs should almost always be set to NONE or NOT INSTALLED in the BIOS. AUTO should only be set for fixed hard disk drives.

wacker98
Unregistered guest
PLEASE PLEASE... I cannot get my head round this.
I'm looking to buy a 2nd hand geforce graphics card. Now I wanted to get an AVG one as I understand they are better than PCI ones.
However after looking on the net I see I mightn't have an AVG slot. I opened up my computer, and again from pictures of motherboards I've seen on the net I understand that the AVG slot is a brown slot slightly off align with the PCI slots.
So here eventually I get to my problem I seem to have the AVG slot but ?My modem is plugged into it? Can I be seeing this right or am I mistaken as to what the slot actually is. I tried to take out the card but it wont fit in a PCI slot.
It actually says modem on the card and the phone line comes out the back. So what's going on, it's definatly a brown slot like I've seen in pictures. The net is sending me dizzy PLEASE PLease can anyone help

thanks Wacker98

Silver Member

Post Number: 143
Sounds like you've got yourself very confused. You've almost confused me.
Right, there's pcix (pci normal) which all computers have. Then theres agp 4x and 8x which is better than pcix. Note agp 8x graphics card will still work in agp 4x slots (i think).
Then theres pci express. This is 16x and about 10 times as fast as agp8x. Dont confuse pcx with pciexpress.
About your mobo. It sounds like the slot with your modem card isn't an agp slot. Although I may be wrong but I can't remember if my modem card went in a normal pci or agp since i upgraded to broadband.
Like you mentioned the slot IS out of line with the pci slots. It should be further into your mobo and smaller.
What model is your mobo??
Also, there are 1x and 4x pciexpress slots.

wacker98
Unregistered guest
Jelvis You are a winner... Nice one for helping me out..
Ive no idea what model my mobo is.
I got my P.C off my dad and I got Warcraft off a friend. It's a wicked game but uses loads of processing power when I fought in big battles. Anyway I'm after a graphics card that will let me play it easier. Only want a cheap one with Tv out.
I have Everest home edition which diagnoses my P.C but it has unknown down as mobo.
This is the only info I got under mobo
Field Value
Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID 63-10B1-001169-00101111-071595-WHITNEY$1WHITNEY_A6178O1 V1.3MR 140100
Motherboard Name Unknown

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type Intel GTL+
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 100 MHz
Effective Clock 100 MHz
Bandwidth 800 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties
Bus Type Intel Hub Interface
Bus Width 8-bit

Nice one your a star
Wacker98

wacker98
Unregistered guest
O.k jelvis here's some more info
American Megatrends (BIOS Type)
Intel Whitney 82810 rev 3 (CHIPSET)

Like I said in my original post, If it's not an AGP slot what slot is it? It looks like a brown AGP slot but like it's got my modem in it. Oh my god like it's so hard upgrading your computer. I've had loads of problems with a firewire card as well. Think the comp's going in the bin or out the window.
Any help you have is much apreciated
wacker98

Silver Member

Post Number: 146
Well the brown slot does sound like an AGP. I was trying to overclock my pc last night and I actually have my geforce 2mx card in the agp slot. Its brown, just like you describe yours.
To be totally honest, the motherboard sounds like a very old Intel board, not very good. Asus is what you want to go with. I think its time you got a new computer maybe. So if my graphics card is in my agp slot, then obviously my modem card wasn't in my agp.
There is no doubt that Asus make the best and most reliable motherboards. The things you can do with them are endless.
The information you presented above doesn't really give me any further clues to the make of your motherboard, except for its related to Intel with onboard shared everything.
Like I said, I think it might be time to buy a new computer..
Upgrading a computer should be really easy. One of the best things to do is refer to your mobo manual. I doubt you have it though.
I can only advise other than a new computer is to use a pci slot and buy a graphics card for that. They will be very low cost and easy to install. Note that if your pc isn't adequately powerful, then a decent pci card wont really have much effect. How old is your computer?

Username: Tigerbytes

Oklahoma City Metropol..., Oklahoma United States

Post Number: 1
It sounds to me like the little brown slot your modem is in is an MCA slot. It stands for Micro Channel Architecture. It's not too common any more. This bus was created by IBM. MCA was capable of bus mastering, plus it could look at other devices plugged into it and identify them, leading to automatic configuration. MCA also produced less electrical interference, reducing errors. It wasn't a bad idea, but it didn't catch on well enough, so MCA is history. Don't get it on a motherboard, if you buy another one. Nobody uses it on newer boards, anyway.
If this is what you have been discussing, it should be about half the length of an AGP slot, and it is in approximately the same area of the motherboard as the AGP slot.

Unregistered guest
hello
I have a Targa Visionary Notebook, on boot up it returns Secondary Master Atapi Incompatible. since it is a notebook, there are no jumpers just a conector or an adaptor sort of board attached to the DVD/cd-RW conbo drive from sumsung. which when slotted fits to a port inside.

i tried replacing the rom and yet still it doesnt work. i coppied these information off the adaptor that connect to the DVD/CD-RW drive

N251S1 CD-ROM tranfer DB Rev.A1
P/N:35-ub4030-01A.
could u based on these information given assist. in resolving the problem.
and the rom ejects perfectly, its just not being detected on the system and returns the error on the bios

Unregistered guest
hello
I have a Targa Visionary Notebook, on boot up it returns Secondary Master Atapi Incompatible. since it is a notebook, there are no jumpers just a conector or an adaptor sort of board attached to the DVD/cd-RW conbo drive from sumsung. which when slotted fits to a port inside.

i tried replacing the rom and yet still it doesnt work. i coppied these information off the adaptor that connect to the DVD/CD-RW drive

N251S1 CD-ROM tranfer DB Rev.A1
P/N:35-ub4030-01A.
could u based on these information given assist. in resolving the problem.
and the rom ejects perfectly, its just not being detected on the system and returns the error on the bios

Silver Member
Username: Bassfreak596

Post Number: 112
hey ryan, check the jumpers on the cd rom drive !

Unregistered guest
Hi,

I have a similar issue.

System Specification:

Intel 845GLLY board.
Intel celeron 1.7GHz processor.
Primary master - 40GB Hard disk
Primary Slave - CD ROM drive.

My computer is working great for the past two years. Suddenly When I was working on my PC it restarted and it did not wake up. I did the following test:

1. Disconnected HDD.

With a bootable CD I tried to boot the computer. The computer booted from CD and after some time the same issue.

2. checked with a different memory module (in both slots) - same issue.

3. Changed Power supply - Same issue.

4. Checked with different hard disk - same issue.

5. Replaced the motherboard and processor and I get the error bootup "primary slave drive - atapi is incompatible"

It would of great help if anybody can shed some light on what could be the cause of the issue.

Regards
Lacman

Anonymous

does intel 845GLLY motherboard have an AGP slot for Geforce 4 256MB .... i have intel pent 4,1.7Ghz,256MB ram ...

Bronze Member
Username: Mrmikelazott

Independence, Oregon

Post Number: 59
no,
http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/ly/

anthonybib
Unregistered guest
if u people have not checked yet...the cables!!! IDE cables go bad after a few years...even fewer if around other electronics or ur pulling them out...replace them all for like 5 bux at bestbuy...could solve many problems with optical drives and the such...also those batteries are only waranted to 2 years go and buy anotherbattery while ur replacing ur ide cables...dont do round ones and dont bunch them up or twist them

AntoG
Unregistered guest
Hey there,
Well im having a slight pain of an issue.
Im running a 1.3 ghz Amd Athlon processor with a ABIT KT7A-RAID Motherboard.

Just last night I installed a new geforce fx 5600 (256 MB) in the AGP.
Restarted windows XP, it detected it no probs and I updated the drivers
Then I restarted and since then BOTH my DVD/RW and DVD drive are not detected on startup, in BIOS , NOTHING!!!!!
I even tried putting my old G-Card back in but still my DVD drives are not detected.

I fear that I may have blown something on my motherboard, but power IS going to the drives.
They behave exactly as they should,
Lights indicate on startup.

They just dont seem to be detected anywhere on my PC anymore or the BIOS (not even in device manager)

HELP!!!!!!!!!!
Anto

Unregistered guest
well firstly my problem was with cd rom, that whenever i copied a cd to my hard disk, means whenever there was some data transfer from my cd rom, my processor usage goes full and pc becomes very slow... even it cannot play songs while copying but now this problem has started in my hard disk also whenever there is a data transfer from my hard disk the processor usage goes full. now is this problem due to data cable that connects hard disk and cdrom to motherboard??? or wat is it??

Username: Johnmike

Post Number: 1
hey jelvis/
i've gotta a compaq presario which is drivin me inasane /my graphics driver is intel 82810e n whenevr i play avi videos it gets stuck the whole syrtem recently ive ben tryin to install xp proffesional but the whole system hangs at desktop /xing is the only softwar that im able to use .....help please

Silver Member

Post Number: 266
Sounds like you have a number of problems. I dont see why xp pro would hang during install. If you have less than 128mb of ram then I can see why but I doubt you have an amount that small?
I take it your trying to install xp directly, keeping some of your programs. What you could do is backup all existing files and programs you want to disc/external drive etc then reformat your hard drive and then install XP pro.
Avi files can be tempromental depending on how they've been encoded (what precise video encoding, sound quality etc) and this is a common problem. I have the same problem with some avi files. Other reasons other than the way its encoded could be because the file is damaged somewhere, I doubt your graphics driver is the problem. If you havn't already done so, ugprade to the latest graphics driver you can.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7091
Test

Post Number: 2
hey jelvis im sorry i did'nt giv u da whole picture all avi files get stuck in my system,my system hangs even thought ive partitioned all my drives n formatted them /when i ran the diagnostics prog from xp it said that my intel graphics tech wudnt be compatible with it nuw i really dont know what to do
my chipset is intel 82810e/compaq presario 2000
ive called a lot of system guys n checked it but no one seems to get da problem i see no overheating /when i play certain games it gets stuck /ny xp edition /all avi files n recently wen i did put xp in my sytem my sound goes in to a shriek its like a high volume mike n then it hangs
my sound driver is ess allegro/i got this pc with windows ME /i just dont see da prob plzzzzz help

Silver Member

Post Number: 267
Probably chances are that the intel 82810e is just poor chipset for playing avi but its also onboard graphics right! You want a separate graphics card where the workload is put onto separate chips and also so your system ram isn't being shared!
You've probably already come across http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/810/810e.htm
The soft dvd quality referring to software acceleration in playback of movie files sounds dodgy to me. If theres no hardware acceleration which is usually an option that can be enabled in various programs then lockups can occur! I'd simply suggest that you get a graphics card-btw is this a laptop or desktop?

Post Number: 3
thenks for replyin jelvis,
yep its a desktop nuw yes i did go to the intel page but not sure which version i should download/
shud i update my ess allegro sound driver too coz it conflicts wit xp

Silver Member

Post Number: 268
Update all drivers and see if you can get xp to install. Is xp a copied version/company licensed version or brand new?
You may want to try and disable all other sound if there is any, but im probably right in saying that the ess alegro is the only sound processing on your pc?

Post Number: 4
xp is copied/but jelvis,as u can see, will updating my drivers work .yes,ess allegro is the only sound driver.wud u know which driver version for graphics shud i be lookin 4

Silver Member

Post Number: 269
Driver versions are your responsiblity. Check all the details of the sound and then search around. Its onboard sound so its likely to be a driver 'package' on the intel website. Unless theres an ess alegro site. There could be a separate sound driver on the intel site for your chipset.
http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/cs-009231.htm
Driver for graphics
http://www.esstech.com/techsupp/drivers.shtm
Drivers for your allegro. You'll need to find out what version your sound is then download the correct drivers.

I wouldnt know if updating them would work, but I dont think it will. If xp is copied then that could be the problem!

Username: Lozhkinlev

San Fransisco, CA America

Post Number: 2
I did not read all the replies, but here is what you should do for the guy with secondary/primary slave cd drive properties: the only differences between the two are the pined backings on the back of the cd drives- on the actual cd drives it should have a little diagram which explains codes for primary, primary slave, secondary slave and more usually, you have to put those on correct to each drive and not to the primary, -- little pins with plasic coverings on back.... hope this helped... for jelvis- take off all the drives and everything - cd, dvd, slaves, then look at the plastic pin codes see if they are correct if they are, boot pc, and when already on, then connect slaves and cd and dvd, windows is stupid but it usually would bring up a couple hundred error messages or the install dialog, if you get the last, then simply follow it and install it all via software.

hope this helps,
please dont flame, i only tried to help

Silver Member

Post Number: 270
Thanks Lev but remember I posted that over a year ago! Most people in this forum wont even be bothered to still post here. Good advice I'll remember that for the future if anything goes wrong but the actual problem was one of the cables had gone bad and because the cd drive and dvd drive were connected together in some sequence with the wires if one drive didnt work then both didnt. The dvd drive was the one that had buggered up.
I've got a new pc now..well i got it last july!

Username: Lozhkinlev

San Fransisco, CA America

Post Number: 3
Thank you, I did not notice the date, I'm glad that worked out for you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us