Power Supply Issues

Username: Hollyw00d

Post Number: 1
I've got a compaq 5000 Series pc. 1.6ghz with a gig of SDRam, Radeon 9000 Pro video card. Not too long ago the power supply fan stopped working so I knew it was only a matter of time before the power supply was going to die. I nurtured it along for a bit, but it eventually did die. I looked into getting a replacement only to find my compaq proprietary motherboard has a 24 pin power supply connector. The replacement 235watt power supply from Compaq goes for $80+ so I figured I'd look into my alternatives. I found a 24 pin to 20 pin cable converter at MyPCCase.com and purchased it. I also purchased a new 300watt power supply. With my old, burned up power supply connected to the system, when I press the power everything surges for a second (cpu and case fans) then slowly just stop, and the motherbaord has green lights that are on so its getting SOME power I believe. With the new power supply connected via the converter, Nothing even turns on. The new power supply doesn't even start up(fan) at all and the motherboard has no lights on. I put the old power supply BACK in just to make sure the motherboard wasn't friend and was atleast transfering power from the power button to the power supply, and it was....so I'm thinking its the converter that's messed up somehow, but does anyone else have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks, if you need anymore info feel free to ask.

Shooter
Unregistered guest
Many computer makers, such as Dell for instance, use a "proprietary power supply". The pin (Or wire) configuration is NOT the same as industry standards. So you HAVE to go back to the maker to buy a new PS if yours die.
I found this out when mine croaked on my old Dell 4100 a few years ago. I DID change it to a STANDARD PS, but I had to do a LOT of wire soldering to do so, (ONCE I found a wiring diagram someone had made for doing just that on line.) I am sorry to say I don't have the smarts, or the patience to figure all that out on my own. But using his wiring diagram I was able to convert a NORMAL power supply to work in my POS dell. Now I just build my own computers, mainly to bypass all that proprietary crap they use, not to mention sub par parts.
I hope I am wrong, but you MAY have done in the mother board.
Good luck to you.

Fixoncheap
Unregistered guest
Be great if you can pass on a copy or a link to the "found wiring diagram" if it in fact applies to Mike's problem.
I have a similar "Compaq" situation. The differences beween a regular 24 pin ATX and the Compaq are on pins 11,12,23 and 24.Also pin 8 is not clearly defined.It seems that pin 11 needs a 3.3volt "always on" auxilary source and some fan control sensor inputs. Anybody already had success doing something like this they could pass on any time saving tips .Thanks

Unregistered guest
Me to......... I am in the process of transferring all the bits from a Compaq desk top to tower cases and have the same problem. The Compaq power unit will not fit into the tower case and the power unit which came with the case is an ATX unit. The Compaq has a 24 pin plug, the ATX 20 !!!

Fixoncheap
Unregistered guest
I am in the process of gathering information to modify a regular ATX unit. I will add some internal jumpers and an always on 3.3v source.
That way one can have a "Compaq" or ATX as is required for any particular circumstance.
I shall update this thread with progress periodically,

Fixoncheap
Unregistered guest
A word of caution : DO NOT plug a 24pin ATX supply to your Compaq motherboards. In my case that would put 12 volts on a 3.3volt circuit.I don't know if other Compaq motherboards are similar/same.

nedm
Unregistered guest
For adapter a power supply a PC Compaq, I cut the green cable in atx 20 pin, then connect in the conector power in the mother board, and green wire switch with open/short (ON/OFF) with gnd, this work for me. The pins 21, 22, (3.3V) 23, 24, powered network adapter and power off when windows shutdown the system.

gdl
Unregistered guest
Para adaptar una fuente atx generica a una computadora hice lo siguiente:
1.- Corte el cable gris (power good) que en compaq es fan off
2.- Conectar los pines 3.3V Aux y 3.3V RS (estos
pines son los 2 que siguen del lado derecho del conector, al pin 2 de la fuente.
3.- Para apagar la pc completamente desconectarla de los 120V AC.

Anonymous

See: http://www.formfactors.org/developer%5Cspecs%5Cnlxps11.pdf
-Compliments of, "StarTech' Support staff who sent it to me on request vis. this PS pinout problem. Hope it helps. Happy computing.

Anonymous

If upgrading compaq...can you just add an additional power supply? If not enough room in the case can you make it stand alone or alongside the case? Leave the compaq power supply to power the compaq motherboard...use the new add-on power supply to power your other items...just an idea.

Kevin Childers
Unregistered guest
From Power-on.com

ATX to ATX12V Adapter
Adapter that converts power supply ATX connector to ATX connector plus auxiliary power (6 pin) and P4 (4 pin) connectors.
Availability: Usually ships the same business day
atx-to-atx12v-adapter price: $9

24 to 20 pin ATX Adapter
Converts power supply 24 pin ATX connector to 20 pin ATX connector. Allows use of 24 pin ATX power unit with boards requiring 20 pin ATX. 5.5" length.
24-to-20-pin-atx-adapter price: $10

20 to 24 pin ATX Adapter
Converts power supply 20 pin ATX connector to 24 pin ATX connector. Allows use of 20 pin ATX power unit with boards requiring 24 pin ATX. 5.5" length.
20-to-24-pin-atx-adapter price: $10

ATX24 Extension
Extends the length of a power supply's 24 pin ATX connector. Seven inches long.
atx24-extension price: $10

ATX Extension
Extends the length of a power supply's 20 pin ATX connector. Eight inches long.
atx-extension price: $5

Drive to PCI Express Adapter
New ! Converts two drive connectors to 6 pin PCI Express power connector. 6 pin power connector required by latest generation of PCI Express video cards such as nVidia GeForce 6800 GT. Ten inches long.
drive-to-pci-express-adapter price: $9

Drive to SATA Adapter
Converts single drive connector to Serial ATA (SATA) power connector. Adapter allows a Serial ATA drive to operate from a PC power supply.
drive-to-sata-adapter price: $9

ATX to AT Adapter
Converts power supply 20 pin ATX connector to P8/P9 AT connectors plus P10 auxiliary power connector. Auxiliary connector provides +3.3V required by some hybrid AT boards. If P10 auxiliary connector not required, leave unattached. Allows use of ATX power unit with AT board.
atx-to-at-adapter price: $15

Drive to P4 Adapter
Converts single drive connector to P4 connector. Allows for non-P4 ATX power supply to support P4 motherboard. Space saving design.
drive-to-p4-adapter price: $5

Drive to Drive Y adapter
Converts single drive connector to two drive connectors. Six inches long.
drive-to-drive-y-adapter price: $1.50

Drive to Floppy Y adapter
Converts single drive connector to two floppy connectors. Six inches long.
drive-to-floppy-y-adapter price: $1.50

Drive to Drive/Floppy Y Adapter
Converts single drive connector to floppy connector and one drive connector. Six inches long.
drive-to-drive-floppy-y-adapter price: $1.50

AT Extension
Extends the length of the two connectors for AT motherboards. Sold as a pair, Nine inches long.
at-extension price: $9

Username: Marimol

Post Number: 3
Do you know if there are any adapters to connect a standard ATX power supply to a propietary motherboard, in this case a Compaq motherboard?

Unregistered guest
I have a compaq presario 5000 model 5SPXE1 with a defective power supply P/N HP-U250XC3, the 24 pin PS
and the motherboard P/N 246858.001 does not conform to the ATX specification. I took the PS apart and all the wires (24) going to the internal boards of the PS were labled at the point of termination. I have compiled a list defining wire number, color and function. I have not yet modified a standard 24 pin power supply, because
there are issues with certain functions I have not
been able to cross reference. Maybe others will be able to figure out the PWR-ON and PWR-OK pins.
Pin- color- Signal
1 brown +3V
2 brown +3v
3 black com
4 red +5V
5 black com
6 red +5V
7 gray aux com
8 no connection
9 green +5V aux
10 orange +12V
11 pink +3V aux
12 white/red fan
13 brown +3V
14 blue -12V
15 black com
16 white (on stby)
17 black com
18 black com
19 black com
20 brown +3V
21 red +5v
22 red +5v
23 brown 3VRS (small dia wire)
24 white/blue fan sink

abeza

Unregistered guest
hi all,
my PC died few days back, first there was no display on monitor, and the PC fan was working, CD player was working, so i thought the video card is bad, tried changing that, it did not work. (monitor is good, caz if i remove the monitor cable from PC , it says "No input Signal")
then my next suspect was the Power Supply, btw, the on/off switch on the front of PC did not seem to work either, i had to remove the cable from wall socket to power on/off the PC, after i power it on, nothing used to happen with the on/off switch on the front of CPU.
Ok back to Power supply, i got the ATX tester, and found out I dont have any signal on 20 pin motherboard connector, so got a new power supply(checked that one with the ATX tester, and it was working fine), so connected the new Power supply to the PC , made all the connections, and turned it on !! well NOTHING happened.. this time there was no FAN either !
I just hear some slight humming noise !!
i dont know what is wrong.
one thing to mention that its old Dell dimension XPSR 400 desktop with Pentium 2 processor, and the old Power Suply was 200W , and this one is 250W . will that be a problem ?

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 1393
It sounds like the motherboard went bad or the RAM is loose.

Unregistered guest
Thanks for the quick reply,
RAM is loose ? yes that is a posibility, caz i had removed it , along with Pentium 2 processor, to take it to CompUsa just to find out if they have any mother board which can hold that...
and then i thought i fixed them back properly, well may be not,wil check that possiblity after going home. In the mean time, does anyone know from where i can get a motherboard which can hold that old pentium 2 processor ?

Unregistered guest
How do you check a power suply of a Dll Dimension l 433 it will not turn on Thank you Spikea

Unregistered guest
This thread mentions someone looking for an adapter to go from ATX Power supply to Compaq motherboard, Has anyone actually found one of these?

I have a Compaq W4000 Workstation that the fan has gone out in the power supply, and the replacement that I purchased is a standard ATX12V Power supply, not a specific Compaq unit.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jon

Username: Funster

Downers Grove, Il USA

My HP/Compaq Presario 5425KS, 1.4 GHZ P4, (with a 24 pin power connector) has a dead power supply. Much searching for replacement turned up nothing. A main issue seems to be the physical size and screw mounting of the supply. Would a standard ATX supply (with 24 pin conn.) work in this unit? I am willing to mount the power supply outside the case anyplace for that matter, just to get this PC running again. Is the connector pinout, voltage, current specs for the standard ATX compatible for this Presario mother board? Is it naive to think Compaq would use a standard ATX power supply interface here?
Replys are welcome,
Thanks,
Dick

Unregistered guest
Hi, i got a problem with my 450w power suply, it doesnt work anymore so i went looking for a new one but i only found 24pin PS (mine is a 20pin), does someone know a way to connect it to the motherboard without an adaptator? (a homemade solution) it would mean a lot to me thanks!!!

Unregistered guest
wires off in the inside of computor need diagram of how to put them back

Anonymous

I moved and was setting up my computer compaq 5000. I plugged it in and it would not come on. How do you know if the power supply is gone bad. No fan will run or the power switch light on the front won't come on

Unregistered guest
Just an FYI people...

I have this old compaq system at home I was given, and it had a dead PSU. Unluckily for me, it was also a proprietary 24-pin PSU.

I got thinking about how it's entirely possible to run a NEW 24-pin ATX motherboard on any 20-pin PSU by simply placing the connector 4 pins lower than normal...and figured i'd give it a try.

It worked perfectly, I replaced the 245watt PSU in the Compaq with a 350watt 20-pin and just left the topmost 4 pins empty. The system powers on just fine, and everything works (including the onboard NIC and USB and such.) The only gripe I have is that the Power LED on the front panel blinks every few seconds (obviously due to the missing 4 pins), but I can find no issue at all with the pc and it's totally stable.

So..if anyones daring enough, that might be the way to go.

Unregistered guest
Help! Power Supply Compatibility Issues with Compaq Presario's!

I have a Compaq Presario 5000 and I want to upgrade my power supply as well. It seems that I am having the same problem with my computer because it seem as if Compaq also has many proprietary computer components. Do any of you know of an adapter that will enable me to hook up my new ATX power supply to my old Compaq Presario 5000 (manufactured in 2001). I have both a 24 pin connector on my motherboard and new power supply.

Please Advise.

E-Mail to jettaway213@msn.com

Unregistered guest
Do any of you have a wiring diagram or something similar to what Abeza posted for a 600 Watt ATX 12v 2.01 power supply made by BFG Tech so that I can rewire it to make the power supply compatible with my motherboard on my Compaq Presario 5000 (manufactured in 2001)?

Please Advise.

E-Mail to jettaway213@msn.com

Unregistered guest
I think I fried 3 3rd party power supplies. I have a Compaq Presario 5000. Power supply is 230 or 235, whatever it came with. I've got enough junk in there that I think I corrupted a system file because of too little power. In the famous words of Tim "The Toolman" Taylor, I needed MORE POWER. So I bought a Dynex 350W and 2 others, and none of them worked. I had them put the last two on the bench, and they were fried. Come to find out, almost ALL power supplies will NOT work on the compaq due to the proprietary wiring business. Somewhere on the net is a supplier of 310W for Compaq - still looking. BE CAREFUL out there! If anybody has any help, please e-mail me at v1rot8t@yahoo.com.

Unregistered guest
By the way, the motherboard seems fine, the old power supply still works, and I found this site - http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/power_supplies/selector/hp-compaq.htm that might have a 310W unit that works for the Compaq Presario 5000. Good luck.

Username: Johny_b

I have succesfully started a P4-based Compaq Presario 5330US (with a 24 Pin original PSU 255712-002 or HP-U250XC3) using a 20+4 ATX PSU, by rearranging the wires.

The system works ok, stable for almost a month now, and the only downside is that I haven't figured out how to start the ATX source using the compaq power buton.I just start the computer using my surge protector switch.

I did't cut any wires from the ATX source (in case I want to return it;), I just removed the pins from the connector and rearranged them.While you normally need a tool for this (ATX Molex Female Pin remover), I used some bent pairs of common staples (see picture).
I did remove two orange wires (pins with 3 inches of wire) from the from the old (non working) PSU - I refer to them as "old wire"

The first 20 pins almost remain the same , with some changes:
- remove pin 13 (orange, brown), and put an old wire pin in its place that you connect to pin 1.
- remove pin 8 (gray wire) and seal it with duck tape, remove the white wire next to it (pin 20) and move it into pin 8 position.
- Use an old wire to connect the (now empty) pin 20 to pin 13 (orange).
The last 4 pins change a bit
- remove pin 11 (yellow) and seal it with duct tape
- remove pin 12 (orange) and move it into pin 11 position.
- remove pin 23 (red) and move into pin 12 position.
- in the now-empty pin 23 comes the orange-brown wire removed at step 1.
All the other wires remain the same.

Good luck
application/vnd.ms-excelUpload
PinOut.xls (18.4 k)

Upload

Username: Splog

I have a Compaq Evo W4000 workstation.
I bought a replacement power supply (old was 250 watt, new is 500 watt).
The new one (Antec smart power 2.0) fits into the computer, but the holes do not line up with the back of the CPU case. Is this a problem? Is it ok if I don't attach it, but just let it sit on the floor of the case?
The one I took out had a space underneath, in between the bottom of the power supply and the floor of the cpu case.
Does it need this space for heat dissapation or something?

Username: Cnjar94

I have a Compaq Deskpro EN PIII 866Mhz machine with the proprietary 200W 24 pin power supply. I've been researching to upgrade the video card but the ones I've found require a 250W power supply. After a lot of searching, I found the technical pub complete with the 24 pin power supply specs at http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/UCR/SupportManual/TPM_11mr-1299a-wwen/ TPM_11mr-1299a-wwen.pdf That should give enough information to anyone looking to wire a new power supply to fit the Compaq proprietary mother board power connection. Other manuals for HP / Compaq systems can be found at http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html Hope this helps

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4095
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Hope that helps :-)

Gold Member
Username: Evadelparaiso

Puerto Rico

Post Number: 1743
Do not fit the new in the old psu case? change all the cable etc, and fit into the old.

Username: Avalone

Ok I Have An HP pavillion xt 973 a few weeks ago i had unpluged my computer for the day i came back that night,replugged it back in and nothing worked with it for a few minutes and i got it working, and then last week it got worse,tried pluging it in to my power socket's nothing checked the fan it's still working, but i'm beggining to think that it's either dust in the power supply or my power cord has gone bad, i bought it oct of 2001, ok here's the rest of it turned the power supply from right to left unplugged it turned it back to right plugged it back up and it works but just as long as i don't unplug it any sugestions

Silver Member
Username: Appzalien

Cleveland, Ohio US of A

Post Number: 104
If the wall socket is old, it may not be making good contact with the plug. Alot of plugs have prongs that are formed by folding over the metal part which will allow you to get a very small screwdriver or knive blade between the halves of the prong and ineffect widening the prong. If your plug is this type you can try this to get better contact in the socket. Usually plugs with silver prongs are one piece and prongs that are copper colored can be widened. Replacement cords are not that expensive and can be found at most computer stores.

Username: Wheely

#POST649850

John,
I followed your instructions for customizing a new 410Watt standard power supply for my Compaq Presario 6073 except for moving pin 23 (red) to the pin 12 position. And I also didn't move pin 1 to 13. Pin 20 of my new power supply is empty.

It seems to me that Pin 12 is an outgoing connection from the motherboard to the power supply with a variable voltage to control the speed of the fan. Why do you connect these pins?

Also I don't understand why you exchange pin 13 for pin 1. They are both 3.3V.

By the way i used a voltage regulator (LMS1587CS-3.3) to make an extra 3.3V AUX line from the 5V AUX line that comes from the power supply to Pin 11 at the motherboard. Now some LED's at the motherboard and networkconnector light up when the PC is off. Just as it should be. This way I think the Power Button should work again.

At the moment I still have the problem that the PC doesn't want to start and the Power LED flashes red. Like something is using to much current.

Post Number: 2
Henry,
1.I changed pin 13 for pin 1 because pin 1 is a different +3.3V, it has "remote sensing", a feature allowing the PS to compensate for voltage drops across long connector cables.
That's what R/S stands for in the Compaq pinout of pin 13.
2.As for pin 12, I just put it there because it has the same color as the +5V lines, so it should be the same."Fan Sink" is more problematic, I just left the com line and it does the job, but I suspect it could be more than that.
3.Converting the 5V Aux to 3.3 is a good idea, even though it might create uncertainty of its own ("does it work properly under load?").
Google says that AUX denotes a separate line used by the Wake-On-LAN feature of the NIC, so the network leds should light up.And it could also be related to our Power button :-)
Try doing point 1. and 2. and see what you get.

Hi John,
Thanks for your quick response. I will try out your suggestions.

In my case before I used the voltage regulator all the LED's on the motherboard were dark when I plugged in the power cable (without turning on the PC).

After I added the regulator the LED's light up but it seems that the PC wants to startup as soon as I plug in the power cable and the Power LED starts flashing red.

I hope your suggestions will help me out. I will soon let you know.

John,

I finaly found a method to safely remove pins from the power connector. Now I have modified the standard power supply like in the drawing below.

modified power supply

The regular PS didn't have a white wire on pin 20 and the Compaq PS didn't have anything on pin 8.

When I connect the modified PS to the mainboard and the harddisk of my PC and plug in the powercable, all the LED's on the mainboard light up like they should do but the powerlight flashes red.

According to the Compaq Service Reference Guide this indicates that the power supply cannot deliver enough current.

When I push the on/off-button of the PC it tries to start up but after a second or two it switches off again. Without the extra 3.3V AUX-line the on/off-button didn't work.

I still have to check the current for both the AUX-lines when the PC is in standby and when it is running. However I can't imagine why the PC uses up so much current in standby mode that makes the powerlight flash.

My respects to Henry for the detailed diagram posted above, I'm sure others will find it as usefull as I did.

As my 5330 Compaq (with a similar P4 mainboard) runs stable on a similarly modified ATX PS, except for pin 12 and 11, I can only assume there's a problem with your pin 12 or 11, or the mainboard/power supply are defective.
It could be that two separate AUX lines from a single one result in insufficient amperage on either one, so the mainboard regulators refuse to start.Not knowing how your regulator performs and interfere at startup is another issue.

I suggest you change pin 11 as I did (directly from a 3.3 line), to check that the mainboard isn't dead to begin with, and worry later about the power button.The leds lighting up on the mainboard don't mean much, I think a network PCI card would do the same if you apply proper current to it.
If there's still no response, consider changing pin 12 as well, although I cannot give you better reason except that it works for me.

The power button works for me only in the sense that it can place/wake the system to/from standby, but it cannot start/stop the PS.
Shutdown from windows results in apparent shutdown of devices (the video card sends no signal to the monitor,hard drive parks,external network lights turn to orange),but the PS continues to work, along with all fans (CPU and GPU cooller, system fans).So I suspect that the PS/On wire on pin 16 works differently than in ATX, or the Compaq label is misleading.

Post Number: 4
Another suggestion might be to reset the bios using the mainboard switch.There's a setting in Bios what to do after a power failure: the default response is "Start the system" , but it could have been modified to "Stay off", so you should reset the bios, just in case.

I just tried some of your suggestions.

First of all I need to say that my original PS (and my PC) still work fine. For testing purposes I change all the connectors from one PS to the other. So my mainboard and all components are OK.

The PS I want to modify should be a new one. It's an unused spare part for an old server that was not in use anymore.

That said here are my findings:

First I disconnected pin 11 from the voltage regulator and connected it to pin 23. The result was that the PC did nothing when I plugged in the power cable. No lights on the motherboard and the power LED was dark.

Pushing the power button had no effect at all. Just nothing happened. So how do you switch on your PC?

Then I reconnected the 3.3V AUX via a Multimeter to check the current. After connecting the power cable the amperage was 0.25A at maximum. And when I pushed the power button I didn't change much. For a second or two I heard the harddisk spin then the PC switched off again. All the time the power light kept flashing in red.

In the same way I also checked the current for the 5V AUX. It never exceeded 0.15A.

A regular power supply should be able to deliver 1.5A to the AUX-line. So even combined my two AUX-lines shouldn't be a problem.

After the previous tests I also checked the BIOS setting (what to do after a power failure) you mentioned. It was 'Off'. I changed it to 'On'.

As I see it my main problem is to get a green power light after plugging in the power cable and without doing any else.

Maybe the problem are not the AUX-lines but one of the other pins.

Username: Cgarza

I have one of these and it wont turn on anymore but a red light comes on from the cpu, could this be a bad power supply?

HP/Compaq EVO W4000

Post Number: 5
"A red light comes on from the cpu" sounds you have a HAL 9000 on your hand.
Seriously, I don't think it's the power supply.More likely a key component failure : mainboard or hardrive, like these folks http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Q_21140661.html conclude

Username: Paulpsomiadis

Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom

@Henry - your problem is most likely pin 20.

According to a PDF I found from COMPAQ itself, pin 20 sould be -5V.

I adjusted your diagram to reflect this (I also changed the orientation of the diagram - it is now viewed from the PIN SIDE of the PSU plug).

(Photobucket link incase the attachment doesn't work...)

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s318/paulpsomiadis/ATX_24_to_COMPAQ_rewire.gif

Give it a go...

Upload

Since someone contacted me about this, here's an update with some things fixed and others added - including the custom 'secondary' connector...

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s318/paulpsomiadis/compaq_psu_atx_mod_no2_imp roved.jpg

[IMG]http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s318/paulpsomiadis/compaq_psu_atx_mod_no2_imp roved.jpg[/IMG]

I don't know if the secondary connector is necessary to power-up the mainboard, but I had it plugged in when using the original COMPAQ PSU.

Also, although the voltage regulator circuit seems to have two separate GND wires, they can both be connected to the same 0V GND line.

Username: Ferdasyn

I have a psu problem with a compaq Deskpro EN. I don't know which EN as the pc isn;t mine and Nothing else than Deskpro EN can be found as name.
So the guy who's the owner of this piece of antiquity moved the red switch from the PSU from 230V to 110V and gave a try, of course at 230V... he said some smoke came out of the psu and after one hour he came to me to try to solve the problem.
I never had to do with a Compaq before and it was a big surprise to find out that they use a different way to wire to atx 24 connector.
I found this thread and i did all the changes as described by John Bates in a post above on March 21-st 2006. When i push the power on, the pc starts all the 3 green leds from the mobo are lit but also the red one in front which keeps blinking. I thought it is a rom error but i can;t get rid of it.I cleared the cmos for more than 5 seconds i also removed the battery in my try to clear the cmos. The same problem the blinking red led yet the computer starts but with no any message on the screen.
The psu whose wires i modified in order to change with the faulty one is a junk 400w but it;s combined total output exceeds by far the 200w of the faulty genuine psu.
Any ideas?

Have a read of the "Experts Exchange" link further up in this topic, it might be that not JUST the PSU got fried!

To Descramble the "Experts Exchange" pages do THIS:

1) Download and install Firefox Browser

2) Download and install "Greasemonkey"
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/748

3) Install the Descrambler script
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/8614

Now heres the link from earlier in the thread...
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Q_21140661.html

Hope that helps!

Username: Nextus

Ciao.

I have the same problem with the compaq 24pin power supply. I use a standard power supply with 20 pin. I found a adapter cable form 20 to 24 pin and I have done the changes which Gerasimus Paul Psomiadis have indicated. The led 5Vaux and 3Vaux are green, but nothing works. The fan are trying to start for very short time when I push the power button.
I have try even the Henry's solution. (The changes is the pin nr 20). In this way the fan's are going but nothing more. The computer start without the power button.
Have anyone an idea?
Thanks

Username: Ferdasyn

Thanx Gerasimus for such an unexpected quick reply. Well, I follow the entire thread and i've done my best to try to wire the connector as described in a more accurate way by you. When I noticed that in the process has to be involved a voltage regulator, I simply gave up on my tries and told the guy to find another genuine Compaq PSU, maybe from another Compaq pc. I really had no idea where to dig for that voltage regulator, and my guess is that only the PSU is faulty.
Thanx for your time :-)

@ion petrescu - in any good electronics shop you can buy the voltage regulator. But your friend is better off going to eBay for a genuine COMPAQ PSU.

@nexus bit - bearing in mind that I've never tested this since I have a REAL COMPAQ PSU...so I have no idea if it will work. The info on the board is just a starting point, there have been no definitive tests done yet...sorry, but the only other thing is to find a COMPAQ PSU.

One last thing, did you also add the secondary connector? This is ony available on a Pentium 4 compliant ATX PSU.
(there is a link to an updated picture in the post UNDER the one with my picture, sorry but the new picture will not display on the forum!)

Username: Unclewillie

I have a Compaq Presario SR1010NX. One day I turned of the power via the breaker box to work on some lighting. Afterwards the LEDs ont he front and the power supply of my PC were blinking. I tried all of the things on the HP web page and concluded that the power supply was bad.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph06788&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us& lang=en&product=403786

I bought a new generic ATX power supply which didn't work. Then I read here that Compaq used non standard power supplies. Then I read here that someone was able to get their PC to work by unplugging and reconnecting the power cable to the motherboard while the power supply was plugged in. I tried this and the PC did power on. Not only that, I could power it on and off and no more blinking green light! The problem appears to be fixed at zero cost. How's that for a happy ending?

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 8855
The reason behind what you experienced is because even if you shut down your PC and unplug your power supply the board still stores a tiny bit of power. Next time you have that issue but the power supply switch in the off position if it has a switch or unplug its power cable and hit the turn on button on your case to "purge" whatever power being stored in the board. That fixes some of these issues that you experienced.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us