How do I upgrade my pc with more RAM

Bronze Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 27
Do any experts know how to put/install more ram onto your computer?
More importantly, how do you know which KIND (as in pin) of RAM your computer has or is compatable with?
Currently I have 256mb of it and i would like to buy another 256mb.

Bronze Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 92
well what are the other specs of the computer? if its a P4 its probably DDR RAM if its an older computer its prolly SDRAM. speeds will probably be 133 or 100. hope that helps

Username: Goon

Post Number: 5
also check your motherboard specs. that will tell you what kind of ram is compatibale with it.

Unregistered guest
how can i tell what kind of ram is installed?
I've currently got a motherboard that supports both 133 and the PC2100 kind, but want to upgrade to a new motherboard that only supports PC2100?
thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Lazarus2297

Post Number: 21
you could look in the bios settings when you power your computer on. Mine says the type and amount of RAM in the bios of the computer, or maybe on the RAM itself it might say the speed.

Bronze Member
Username: Videoguy

Post Number: 51
Do you have the manual to your mother board? I think the manual should tell you what kind of RAM your mother board supports. Opening up your system and looking at the RAM that's already installed is probably the most effective way to find out.

Unregistered guest
Currently I am using 128MB SDRAM can i upgrade this with 256MB RAM(i have to use both RAM). If it is possible what are needs that i have to follow when i buy the RAM?

Unregistered guest
Currently I am using 128MB SDRAM can i upgrade this with 256MB RAM(i have to use both RAM). If it is possible what are needs that i have to follow when i buy the RAM?

Unregistered guest

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 922
As long as you have an open slot to put it in. Just buy the same type and speed of memory you already have. You can look on the memory stick to see the type. Don't touch any of the circuitry on the sticks, handle the edge of the boards.

Silver Member
Username: G3nocd3

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 159
I'd reccommend no less than 512 mb of ram. Windows xp is ram intensive compared to me or 2000, so now adays 512 is the min. Id get 2 cards of 256 mb ram, or 1 512 mb card. You have to make sure the pc# is the same. Like my ram is pc3200. Match your specs up with the ones of the ram you are looking for. They dont match they wont work.

Silver Member

Post Number: 124
Thanks for all the info guys but no more is needed. Time has passed, I understand RAM quite a bit now. Im getting a new computer soon which I think will have 768mb of pc3200 ddr400mhz ram (256 normal but upgrading with an extra 512mb). Therefore I dont feel any need to upgrade my pc now, itd just be a waste of money.

Anonymous

i currently have 256 mb ram i want to make it to 1024 mb.i have p4 new one.i want to no the cost for this

Silver Member

Post Number: 126
Depends really on the type of RAM. Say pc3200 400 ram which is second highest on the market (i think), 512mb of it costs about £25. For 1gb of it, its about £50. This is for decent makes too like elixir. If you have 2 free ram slots on your motherboard, then get a 512mb card and a 256mb card. If i was you, I'd just spend the £50 on 1gb so you have about 1256mb of ram! Check out ebay, its the holy godshop of nearly everything ;)

aslll aaaal
Unregistered guest
Hey, i have 512mb ram and would like to have 1024mb ,how do i check what kind of RAM i should buy ??

i have an Intel pentium 4 2.53GHz

Silver Member

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 193
Just take the ram u have in now out and take it to like comp usa or wherever you have around u to buy new ram and they will match it. Or just look on the ram. Normally there is a sticker on it.

Silver Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 933
Yep, works every time!

Silver Member
Username: Bassfreak596

Post Number: 103
download a utility frm www.downloads.com for checking your hardware specs

Silver Member

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 194
Lamo. How bout u just pull the door off your case and look. Dont waste time with lamer programs.

Silver Member

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 195
the reason for this is an incredibly large amount off downloads.com contain false registry scrips, errors, and some even spyware. Its much easier just to look at the ram itself.

Silver Member

Post Number: 170
lol i agree with Tim, just take the case off and look, itll probably take the same amount of time, but still be less hassle.

Silver Member
Username: Bassfreak596

Post Number: 105
dosent happen when u use 'mvpcinfo' tool on downloads.com
its a good utility. use it.

better than buying something thats not compatible with your hardware or something that causes your RAM to run at a slower speed just because you thought that it was 333Mhz while in reality it is 400Mhz.

unless ofcourse you find it thrilling or exciting to pull your case apart for such a detail..
make sure you put the RAM modules in the correct sockets or you might not get the optimum out of them.

And since he is asking a question like,"More importantly, how do you know which KIND (as in pin) of RAM your computer has or is compatable with?".. i am not too sure if he is all-know about the hardware structure. but if u do know then check it in the atx and save the downloading time. be sure to ground yourself to avoid killing your RAM chips with static.

its your call.

sarvan
Unregistered guest
i have 64mb sd ram,pII, intel se440bx2 m/b...
how much and what type of ram can i upgrade.

Silver Member

Post Number: 174
Sarvan. The type of ram is important so open up you case and look for a number on your ram module e.g. 148pin.
This is the type of RAM you will need to buy..thats if you can find some!! The amount of ram you can upgrade to depends on your motherboard, I've had a quick look around for your m/b specs but didnt find much. Its a very old m/b. I would however guess that theres two dimm slots each capable of supporting 128mb of ram.
To be honest I would buy a new computer..I would strongly advise you invest in one. It doens't have to be 'top class', just get a second hand one from somewhere. You'll be able to find them on the internet probably ebay would be worth trying or the selling notice board in your supermarket if there is one.
My old 1.1ghz amd thunderbird with 256mb ram and Asus A7v-e m/b, Im giving away to a friend!! So like I said make sure some dude doesnt rip you off, my old system would probably be worth max £100.
Hope this helps

Silver Member

Post Number: 175
I guess I was wrong, your motherboard can support up to 768mb of ram, with 3 dimm slots. The pin is 168pin.
http://www.baber.com/baber/411/intelse440bx2-audio.htm
That link will tell you the specs of your mb

Silver Member

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 213
Even tho how i earleir said ram was important, like what brand that it (since ram is normally the first thing to cause major problems) But if you have an old board, dont go buy a 150 card of ram. All i say is companies like Kingston, And Corsair. they have a budget line of ram. Its still up to corsair and knigston spec, like quality wise, its just alot slower ram than high end. Soo look at these 2 budget lines, they have all different pins and ram under these lines of product. Look around. Outpost.com is a great place to buy computer parts. Tigerdirect can be too slow shipping sometimes, and hella back orders. Outpost. com (its frys electronics online store)

Silver Member

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 214
Oh also check geil and ocz out. they also have good budget lines. Im using 4 gigs of Geil pc 3200 ram rite now. Only cost me 250$. Thats not bad.

Silver Member

Post Number: 176
Dam Tim American money can buy so much more than our £. For 4 gigs it would cost me £240..whats that about $440.
Infact I got a question..I have an asus A8n-e and on the Asus site it says all the compatable ram. My mb takes 184pin ram, and I can get pc3500 and upwards etc..but will it work with my motherboard even though the Asus specs doesn't say so? Just seems like one of those things that Asus wouldnt bother adding to the specs since ram above pc3200 is newer technology.
Thanks

Silver Member

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 215
Pc3200 is just as new as faster ram. Ive seen pc 4200 on the market for over a few years now. Stick to what your main board specs say. I run 3200 for now also. Intel boards can normally go high compared to amd compatible boards. Id stick to the specs . U could always e mail asus and ask them if it will work, that is the only fer sure way to know there will be no problems whatsoever. Im sure people have done this, i have a few times, but it can end up in a really unstable system, or just not work. So e mail em or stick to 3200, i think 3200 is fine for now. Well until we starty seein 8000+ - 10000+ cpus on the market. Which hey, january looks promising for these to be released. Dual core is wicked, since single core bottle necks too much now with the high end pci-e sli boards on the market.

Username: Nightmusk

Shoreham, Sussex United kingdom

Post Number: 1
i currently have 192 of ram but been advised to get 256 how do i do this and is it easy to do

Silver Member

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 224
Note. 256 is not enough. For todays apps and programs, and if you run windows xp, i reccommend no more than 512. Its cheap enough now that noone should bother with anything less than 512. Yes changing ram is extremely easy. You have to have the matched type of ram tho. Look at this post, we have pretty much covered what you asked.

les
Unregistered guest
how do you know which PC it is e.g (PC3200) how do you find this out?

les
Unregistered guest
how do you know which PC it is e.g (PC3200) how do you find this out?

Silver Member

Post Number: 177
Les
You could take the side of your case off and look at your ram chips. There should be a label giving info on the Ram.
Secondly, you could also download something called Everest. This tells you just about everything you'd need to know about your computer in a really usable interface. Available from www.lavalys.com

Bronze Member
Username: Lacman

India

Post Number: 12
Easily you can find the memory and memory slot details using this web site:

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/

Or you can also download this file and execute it:

http://images.crucial.com/drivers/CrucialScan.exe

Anonymous

hey i am running 256 Mb of ram and a 1.30 GHZ i was wondering what kind of ram do i need my comp is a hp with windows xp. I would greatly apprecate your advice

Gold Member

Post Number: 2104
You need to know the speed of the memory, it should be on the memory stick in your PC.

Unregistered guest
I have 224 mb of Ram but my maximun is 256 how do i put it back at 256? YOu can e-mail me cuz i might no tcheck again.its:s.gnanapragasam@sympatico.ca

Unregistered guest
I have 224 mb of Ram but my maximun is 256 how do i put it back at 256?You can e-mail me cuz i might not checkagain. its:s.gnanapragasam@sympatico.ca

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2483

quote:

You can e-mail me cuz i might not checkagain.

The very weakness of your post. Don't do that.

Also, you're being unintelligent in the first place. Very few to no computers will say they have the exact amount of RAM in them. I don't feel like explaining because of your lack of faith =P Your post is funnier than the person who didn't understand why they didn't have USB 2.0 even though they had WinXP and SP2 installed. haha.

Unregistered guest
i currently have 64mb in my pc now i wanna switch it to 258mb how do i do it and where does it goe

Gold Member

Post Number: 2117
Look on the main PCB, you'll see a small board in a socket with an open socket next to it, it goes there. You need the same type of memory it already has.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2490
David, what are the specs on your system?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2179
The one I'm on now is an AMD Athalon 1800+ 1.53, with 512 megs memory. I don't remember the memory speed, pc2100 I think.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2580
Surprising...I was expecting a monster haha.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2195
More like a dinosaur. It does what I need it to do reliably though.

Unregistered guest
Hey people..i am trying to upgrade my ram..but i dunno which type of RAM do i buy,,,,i need urgent help....replay on tarigogo_business_machine@hotmail.com

Gold Member

Post Number: 2218
Look on the memory stick in the PC.

Brad-J
Unregistered guest
Hey, I have 512mb and want to upgrade it to 1gig, and I need to know what type of ram I have, but am not sure on how to open my computer to check, and dont want to harm it, can anyone please help?

Silver Member

Post Number: 260
Your computer will either have a sidepanel which you can take off by pulling the handle/lever at the top aswell as moving the lock either clockwise or anti-clockwise on the back of your case on the edge.
Second way is that at the back there will be a number of knurled screws, likely some kind of metal which you have to unscrew then this will allow you to take the side panel off.
Just make sure that your pc is off when install the ram chip and when putting the side panel back on that no wires are dangling from it-say from a fan.
Other from that, installing RAM is a piece of cake.

Brad-J
Unregistered guest
Ok, i got that done ... and i think i found the ram chip, though i cant tell where it says what type i need (i also found out that i only have 356mb of ram which is very poor for the game im trying to improve (world of warcraft, a online rpg)) I am running a hp pavalion 512a, with a Nvidia Geforce Fx 5200 128mb ram video card , Celeron CPU 1.7 GHz, the computer came with 128mb of ram.
Would a program like Everest show me the amount of ram chips i can have in my computer, what type i need and the maximum amount i can have? etc.
And after i upgrade the ram, would there be any thing else i should up grade?

Silver Member

Post Number: 262
356-you mean 256?
WOW loves lots of RAM and a good cpu. I would recommend you upgrade to 512mb or even 1gb. Best place to find out about what ram your pc will take is your motherboard manual. Your processor will let your system down a lot, so unless you want some great gameplay from wow, you'll need to upgrade that. More ram will help though. Everest does tell you about what RAM chips you have in your computer and all the information about them.

Brad-J
Unregistered guest
Oh i meant to say 384, at least i think it is =/
http://img108.imageshack.us/my.php?image=systemprop1od.jpg <-- is a link to my system properties ... probably be better than me trying to explain it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 263
So, you'll either have 3x 128mb sticks or a 256mb stick and a 128mb stick.
As i said, your mobo user manual is best place to check how much ram it'll support, what speed and pin aswell as if it will support dual channel ram!

Bronze Member
Username: Mrbockbagok

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 21
what does pc2-3200 mean? does that mean that i could support ddr2? or does it mean that i have 2x 512mb. i want to upgrade my computer by giving it 1gb more of ram. should i look for something like K-Byte 1GB DDR 400MHz PC-3200 168 Pins Memory, or K-Byte 1GB DDR2 400MHz PC-3200 Desktop Memory. thanks for your time

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 6848
Be careful Mike.
If your computer needs DDR2, make sure that you get a DDR2 chip. The pin number is different.

Bronze Member

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 22
ok well i went and got the specs of my computer and found this out "4 GB* (4 x 1 GB) requires the replacement of the installed 512 MB DIMMs" "240 pin, DDR2 SDRAM" so does that mean i have to take out the ones that came with my computer and replace it with the one i want? will i still be able to use the old ones? does that mean i lose my info on those ones? and so then for me i would have to buy 2x 1gb to get what i want? please help a inexperanced but wanting to learn more person thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 6880
You don't lose any info. Open up your PC and check to see if you have any empty slots next to the existing memory chips. If you do, all you do is insert the memory chips in the slots provided without having to remove the older chips. Don't worry, you won't lose any information at all.

What PC do you have?

Bronze Member

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 23
i have the hp a1224n it says i can have up to 4g max and i have 2 more slots available, the first and theird one have 512mb, so i will be able to put in 1gb in correct? this one should work right K-Byte 1GB DDR2 400MHz PC-3200 Desktop Memory .Thanks for your time

Gold Member

Post Number: 6890
Yes you can do that, you can get 2 memory chips of 1 GB each and just leave what is already there. You can upgrade those is want as well.Just make sure that the pin number is correct. As long as you follow the recommendations from HP, you will be fine.

Username: Seanyboy247

Not tellin sry, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 1
ok ppl im sry for buggin u but i need help soooo bad, i need to know, i have a 400MHz Dell Dimension E310, i need to know if i can put the more ram i bought which is a 333MHz 256mb stick, can u put this in my open slot inside my cpu or not? plz plz plz get me back im desperate!!!!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 7282
Unless your memory chips have these specs, then you cannot just put it in the slot of your CPU:

DDR2 SDRAM, PC2-4200 / 533 MHz, Non-ECC, Unbuffered

You are going to need a pair and not just one.

Username: Seanyboy247

Not tellin sry, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 2
ok i have no clue wtf ur talkin bout lol i dont know much bout cpus at all all ik is i have 1 stick of 256mb thats 400Mhz in there now, ill just ask my uncle, he does the cpu stuff for the bradley center so he'll know
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us