Video network for new home

Username: Linoj

Post Number: 1
hi,
I'm designing the networking layout for a new house. Most of the PC's around the house will use a wireless access point. But for digital video applications, like my own TiVo-like server for movies etc wireless doesn't have the bandwidth. I figure I have 2 options for the future:

A. assume a centralized video server with multiple video outputs (to coax) that feed into each TV. Control it from any PC with browser (e.g. select a video to watch)

or
B. assume a centralized video FILE server, but a local box connected to the TV that generates the video for that TV.

Do you think A is practical (e.g. having multiple video outputs from one server), what if more than one video is playing at the same time? etc,

or
will tv's in the future accept ethernet connections anyway (have a pc built-in) so there should be an ethernet jack nearby

linoj

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 3525
A) seems like a good choice but expensive (but prob my choice) the only thing I would be concerned about is making sure I had enough pc power for all that in a worst case senario.

B) is good to keep costs down and you could compress the files and store more per hard drive which I assume is what you were planning on doing but ive found if I was going to do this i wouldnt totally be happy with video quality as compared to a dvd copy that played on a dvd player (pc or house unit) I considered a dvd changer for the pc as a soulution to this then simply burning the movies to disk and using that as my storage and coninually being able to store more and more by simply buying more disks as opposed to the hard drive running out of room or compressing to the point of video quality loss

as for the ethernet to tv im not sure

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 3526
heres an example of the dvd changer but they make larger ones

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=14334 80&sku=I103-4104
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us