Coaxial or Optical...

Sebastian Sobieski
Ive read into the primary differences between the two, or rather in some opinions the lack there of. My question is regarding a different matter, I am not all that interested in SQ difference, but moreso upgradeability. I am debating on whether getting a pc soundcard that supports either coaxial or optical output and while at the moment I do not have a receiver that will make use of this signal, in the near future will I be more likely to find units with the coax or optical inputs?

Also in units themselves is there a price difference between the two inputs; Is one or the other more found on higher end more expensive units, or no? And are cables more expensive for one over the other?
Thanks for the help.

Derek
I wouldn't worry about the connection. Radio Shack sells a two way converter for only $15. With it, you can buy what ever you want and connet it to anything you want.

Hope that helps.

Sebastian Sobieski
O really. Ok thanks. I just have to ask though, using a converter, is there any chance of signal degredation?
Also, so you think there really isnt one more popular format over the other?
Thanks a lot.

Derek
I haven't done any testing on the box but digital conversions by their very nature produce no distortions.

Optical seems to be more popular.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us