New memberUsername: Eileen_wang
Post Number: 2
You can build your own custom acrylic display case for dolls, medals, sports memorabilia and other collectibles. Follow these instructions to build an acrylic display case with a wooden base that stands 25 inches tall and is 24 inches wide and 18 inches deep. You can adjust the size of the acrylic sheets and the wooden base to customize your display.
1. Attach the wood trim around the perimeter of the wood block. Run a bead of wood glue and press the trim into place. Secure it with finishing nails placed every inch or so. Sand the wood block and remove all of the sanding debris with a slightly damp cloth.
2. Stain the wood base for your acrylic display with a color that complements your decor. Wax or gel stains allow the beauty of the wood grain to show through a myriad of colors, or you can select more traditional wood color options. Apply the stain according to the manufacturer's directions.
3. Cut two sections of acrylic sheeting 24-by-24 inches and three sections 18-by-24 inches. Place the acrylic sheeting on a flat surface. Measure and mark the lines where you will make the cuts. Clamp the sheet to the table with the cut lines hanging off of the edge. Cut the acrylic with a coping saw.
4. Lay one of the 24-by-24 pieces of acrylic on a flat work surface. Run a bead of acrylic cement along one of the outside edges. Press the edge of one of the 18-by-24 sheets flush against the glued edge. Repeat this process and attach another 18--by-24 sheet to the other side of the flat acrylic sheet. Brace the sheets until the glue dries.
5. Lay the remaining 24--by-24 piece of acrylic on a flat surface and apply acrylic cement to both side edges. Fit the three-sided acrylic piece you glued in Step 4 over the sheet and press both sides into the glue. You now have a four-sided display box. Brace the sides together until the cement dries.
6. Attach the remaining 18-by-24 sheet to one end of your acrylic box. Brace this piece and let the cement dry. This is the top of your acrylic display.
7. Stand your acrylic display on top of the wooden base.