Client with Difficult Problem in Seattle

Username: Jessmyn

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1
I have a client in seattle who needs to sound proof large openings on a "patio". Let me explain. He has a patio with insulated walls with 5 openings 6'w x 3'3"h half obliques. This maintains it's "patio" status. Now, he needs to soundproof these openings due to an ordinance that states no noise after 10pm. I cannot seem to find a soundproofing solution that isn't too heavy for removal(which must happen every day and night)and temporary installation. If anyone has ideas, please e-mail me. SaiphM42@myway.com

transistoradio
Unregistered guest
ditch the patio!

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 629
May I suggest a thick piece of foam anywhere between 4"-6".

I am talking about the white polyester foam they use to make trim mouldings around windows and doors in california construction. They then cover it with stucco. You know the kind that I am talking about? It is often used for packaging, but in large pieces.

Just go to a foam contractor and ask him to cut you the sizes you need. The foam stock come in 4' X 4' X 10', possibly even bigger. Just go in and ask them for more info.

Getting back to your inquiry. As we all know, foam is indeed a great insulator for temperature but also a great sound deadener.

I am suggesting that you build some pannels that would cover the openings on the inside. Make it bigger than the opening about 6" all the way arround. You would need to install a rubber gasket on the back side of it so that it would make a tight seal. To complete the sealing process may I suggest a pressure type of latch system that would hold the foam up tight against the wall.

Foam may be decorated in many ways and it is extremely light. On the outside you may coat it with stucco as they do in california, or you may choose to seal it with a sealant or paint it. You may even add a certain type of siding to it to match the rest of the house. On the inside you may spray texture on and paint it to match the inside decor. You may even look for artwork that you like and hang it on it. Artwork not being heavy canvass paintings with a heavy frame. Pick out something light such as a fabric with a nice design that will go with the interior decor.

So there you have it.

"FOAM".

This may cost about $75-$200 a pannel, but it will definetly improve or even solve your problem.

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 630
Oh wow, Jessica, I just read your profile and I just found out that you are an interior designer.

Please disregard my interior decoration advice, lol. I am sure that you would have that base covered.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us