Optical Audio to 5.1 Input Converter?

Anonymous

My receiver only has separate 5.1 RCA inputs (6 RCA inputs, one for each speaker), but my DVD player and Xbox have optical audio outs (but not 5.1 RCA outs), so I would like to use that if possible. Is there any adapter or connector that will convert an optical audio signal into 6 separate RCA plugs for a 5.1 input? Thanks.

Matt 734
Unregistered guest
u can look on google or something but really the six differnt outputs is better than the optical and cotixal (i spelled that wrong) but i dont have an answer really for u look on google or some other search place

Anonymous

What are you talking about optical or coaxial digital are the only way to get digital audio the seperate speaker for each channel is still analog audio. Your amplifier will not turn on it's DTS or use the Dolby Pro Logic II with out optical or coaxial digital. And converting a digital signal to an analog one sort of defeats the purpose and wouldn't sound better.

Unregistered guest
Hi! I have a DVD of digital coaxial output and i want to connect it to my creative 5.1 channel speakers..( there is no digital coaxial input to my creative speakers).there are only three bannana type stereo plugs as input.Can you pls help me to find some converters..
Thanks
Glylon

Atp
Unregistered guest
I don't have the same problem, but I need the same things you guys do... Im trying to make a reciver with optical and analog inputs and have analog outputs, (not speaker level out) so if you find some converter please post it so my reciver can have optical in. Thanks

Xerxes3rd
Unregistered guest
What you're looking for is some type of decoder. Commonly, the streams sent over an optical or coaxial audio cable are encoded (Dolby Digital or DTS). Therefore, you'll need a decoder to be able to decode these streams into their respective channels. In other words, you'll probably have to look for a new receiver that has Dolby Digial and DTS decoding built-in.

Anonymous

This is what you need.
Klipsch ProMedia DD-5.1 or a model alike.

Unregistered guest
I have the exact same predicament. I need Optical to RCA converter. I have seen a lot of optical to coax converters, but I don't think that will work. I also don't want to spend a lot, and I don't care too much about the audio quality. I just want all 5 channels for playing games!

Unregistered guest
Hey, same here....Ive just bought the new slim ps2 and it feels great...My only problem is the optical to rca 5.1 input. I understand it wouldn't truly be digital....but im only so much of an audiophile....i want the 5-6 speakers working separatly from each other. And I too do not want to pay for a decoder. PLEASE HELP US

Unregistered guest
OK...Sony is stupid. I see now there is no solution other than to decode the digital signal and then route an analog to the mini-system. The only problem is the ASTRONOMICAL price to do something like this. http://www.av-outlet.com/en-us/dept_382.html the freakin cables themselves cost anywhere from $125 US for a half meter section to whatever price is on that page. Why the hell do i have an optical out on my mini system BUT NO OPTICAL IN?>!>>!>!> Shame on sony....Now ill never get the fidelity i want with my games UNTIL i dish out another thousand on a new "digital" system. 1010100010100101!!!!!! Why in the hell do i even have the analog 5.1 connectors on the mini system when the cable costs more than the system...JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.....The sony audio consultant in charge of the 5.1 crap during the era of obvious stupidity should be given 40 lashes and dumped into salt water...BTW im a big sony fan, just not a fan of people.

Unregistered guest
I've looked into the ProMedia DD5.1 and cannot find it or anything like it for sale on the Internet. If someone could guide me to a place were they sell it or something similair, I would be much obliged.

Unregistered guest
Same problem here. I've been looking for the ProMedia DD5.1, and only found one on e-bay (used just isn't my thing).
As for "Optical Shmoptical". Look into the Logitec z-680's. They have 5.1 surround, a digital decoder, and all for under 300US. If you alreay have the speakers and subwoofer, just get the cheapest decoder you can find and some cheap radioshack cables. Those 125$ mega cables are a rip off.

Username: Hobbitfeet

Post Number: 8
Drama, drama. For anyone who needs to connect 6 RCA analog outputs to headphone connector types (such as on PC surround speaker systems), you don't have to spend a fortune on cables. Buy three RCA to 3.5mm connector leads from Maplin (UK) or Radio Shack (US). This is the sort of thing you are looking for http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=31700&TabID=1&source=15&WorldID=2&d oy=29m11.
You may want to go for something a little more expensive, but don't go over the top. Computer surround speakers are hardly high-end audio.

Post Number: 9
For those looking to decode optical or coax digital to use with a 6 RCA input on an older surround amp...
As Xenosonicus says, getting a surround decoder is probably prohibitively expensive. Just buy a cheapish new surround receiver/amplifier (Denon, Yamaha and Sony all have cheaper models) or plug the device in using stereo RCA connectors and use ProLogic surround.

From what I've read, decoders are aimed at the high end audio market where people want to separate and amplify the surround channels using multiple discrete amplifiers, not really for converting then feeding into an old prologic amplifier or a computer surround speaker system (Creative/Logic 3 etc.).

Post Number: 10
Optical Schmoptical:
Systems often have an optical out to enable digital recording to minidisk in stereo. It sounds like you have a DVD/Receiver/5.1 speaker combi system. These may have no external digital inputs, and if so, can only decode audio from DVDs that they read internally. This enables the vendor to cut down on costs but seriously reduces your future upgrade potential.

All I can say to you is that you should be mindful of future requirements when you buy a system.

You say 6 analog connections wouldn't be 'truly digital' but this shows a misconception. All you want is for each of your speakers to receive a discrete signal. How this signal is transported, or where it is decoded from digital to analog is not particularly important (obviously the quality of the Digital to Analog converters matter). So having a DVD player with an internal decoder then feeding 6 channel audio via 6 RCAs should be the same as providing a digital connection to a receiver which then decodes the audio to those same 6 channels of sound. The only real difference would be the convenience of a single optical or co-axial cable (or the new HDMI connection) as opposed to 6 RCAs.

Back to yor Playstation problem... I don't think I've seen a game that uses 5.1 discrete audio. The presence of an optical out is mostly for those using the PS2 as a DVD player. Whenever I play games, my surround receiver is receiving a stereo feed via the optical cable anyway. This is then upconverted to ProLogic II surround by my processor (something that your receiver will probably do). So all you really need for games is to plug the PS2 in via RCA connectors and set the receiver to use ProLogic surround. I don't know what AV cable comes with your PS2, but I have a Playstation AV to Scart cable that has RCA L/R/Video connectors that allows this (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=23120&TabID=1&source=15&WorldID=&do y=29m11)

Hope that helps.

Unregistered guest
Hey all I have my Xbox running into my Amp and if I don't have it running though "DVD 5.1 channel", the amp is telling me that I can't use a sub (but I can use 5 speakers) is their any thing or way to turn the red and white RCA cable to connect in to the 5.1 channel using all speakers and a sub.

Unregistered guest
hi i have the sony dav-sr4w i want to get surround sound from my pc. the system only has optical input does any1 know of a optical 5.1 output card?

Anonymous

Yeah, mostly the on-board ones... Intel D865PERL's have optical, coaxial and analog (the whole set) and creative has their SB Audigy's which have it, internal or external USB your pick (go with the internal if you like to load your system with USB devices.) Although the good old stand-by SB-Live 5.1's I use have analog and a coaxial output for $40 bucks OEM just about anywhere, then you can get a coaxial SPDIF to optical SPDIF converter for about $15.

charles shaw
Unregistered guest
is it possible to take an audio sound (mp3/wav) in stereo (2 channels) and convert it to 6 channels (5.1 surround) using a computer program?

if that doesnt exist, i am sure there are products on the market that are capable of performing this task. does anyone here know of any?

Bronze Member

ManchesterUK

Post Number: 22
Charles Shaw,

I'm not sure what you are asking here, but it seems that what you are describing is surround processing. I'm not sure about PC software, but I'd assume that at least some (if not most) soundcards with "surround outputs" can do this.

But what seems obvious to me is that this is what you get if you plug a stereo source into a home cinema amp. The simplest processing job of any home cinema system is to convert stereo inputs into a Pro-Logic output (5.1).

My Yamaha amp (DSP-AX630) has many other surround processing modes, one of which is 6 channel stereo, but to be honest I only found this mode better with my old (cheap and small) speakers. Now that I have good front speakers I prefer my music in stereo.

HTH :D

bazil
Unregistered guest
I am trying to set my ps2 up thru a sony surround system but it does not seem to have any where to plug the optical cable into. Is there an adaptor you can buy to use the cable.
Is there much difference between using this optical cable or just the red and white leads into the surround sound receiver.

Bronze Member
Username: Decker

Post Number: 40
Hey original poster, I ran across the same problem. I sold my xbox before I ever did anything, but since I used my computer as my TV and videogame station as well, I decided to buy this soundcard so I could use the optical input. I guess you might just have to get a receiver, or use the Xbox cable with just stereo RCA's.

Bronze Member

ManchesterUK

Post Number: 24
Bazil,

It helps if you mention product numbers. Does the Sony surround system have a digital coaxial input? If so, you need an optical to co-axial digital converter: (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29293&TabID=1&source=14&doy=7m1)

As I said above - the PS2 optical output in my experience is only needed for DVD playback. All games I've played only send a stereo (and pro-logic) signal.

Username: Kennybunkport

Edgwood, Nnm Us

Post Number: 1
I have a 5.1 onkyo digital reciever. Originally I had a denon 5.1 similar specs. the denon had a setting mode which played any audio through all speaker:dedicated channel for each speaker: great sound for me. Trouoble is my onkyo wont do it ive tried all possible connections functions. It ha a built in decoder but also sports 5.1 external channel inputs . IM confused bought it used.

Bronze Member

ManchesterUK

Post Number: 35
Kenneth,

I think Pro-logic should do that. However, the Denon probably had some Denon specific surround decoding modes, your Onkyo may not. My Yamaha certainly has lots of them (Yamaha are famous for it), one of which is 6 channel stereo, which sounds something like what you are talking about.

On the other hand, are you saying that the Onkyo has no Dolby Digital/DTS decoder? I'm not sure, but i think that even if it has an optical in, this may be for a CD PCM signal.

HTH :-)

Anonymous

Hello,

Back to the original posting. I have an older model Yamaha receiver that is labelled "AC-3" compatible. When this early generation home theatre receiver was released, an external decoder was required in order to enjoy 5.1 surround sound. The ProMedia DD5.1 mentioned above is an example of this type of decoder. For a variety of reasons, including cost, the external decoder setup went south, especially after Dolby Digital and DTS decoders became mainstream components on newer model receivers. I have since purchased a newer model receiver and have an entirely new setup.

However, I recently purchased a DVD player with a built in AC-3 decoder. My plan was to once again revive my old receiver and hopefully create a second 5.1 theatre. The DVD player decodes the sound into 5.1 and then sends it to my compatible old receiver. Unfortunately, the DVD player outputs coaxial digital and my receiver accepts 6 discreet RCA channel inputs. Thus the problem.

Is there something that converts the decoded coaxial digital to 6 channel RCA?

Thanks

Anonymous

Actually, just to follow up...

Does it seem weird that a DVD player with a built in decoder would output digital coaxial? I was under the impression that a decoded signal ran on 6 separate channels (usually speaker wire). Isn't this the difference between digital output and decoded output? In other words, isn't digital coaxial a "coded" signal?

Thanks again

Anonymous

Me too.

I have an Onkyo tx-sv545 receiver with dolby 5.1 RCA audio out. No digital out.

Nothing out there that would convert Digital Audio out to analog?

Sure love not to dump the Onkyo

pete

Unregistered guest
HI. This may be of some use. Argos sell a surround sound decoder with speakers for 90 quid. It has an optical in :-) I'm thinking of buying one and putting some proper studio reference monitors on the output from the decoder (M audio BX5/BX8) - if there is a socket for it. Anyway, it's a relatively cheap way to get surround sound on PS2, and maybe other stuff. By the way, need for speed underground allegedly has dolby surround sound.

I also bought a canon lcd projector which will be delivered tomorrow. Can't wait! :-)Bargain at 610 quid from technoworld.com.

Happy gaming and DVDing :-)

Long live fun.

Username: Pieroxy

I think most people in there need a little explanation over what is optical, coax, stereo and 5.1...

1. Stereo sound means two channels. It can be carried over a dual RCA cable (white and red usually) or simply a mini-jack ("headphones") plug. Stereo usually means Left/Right, but you can really carry anything on these cables.
2. 5.1 sound refers to 6 speakers: Front Left, Front Right, Rear Left, Rear Right, Center and Subwoofer. As this is 6 channels, it can be carried over as 3 stereo signals: 6 RCA or 3 jacks.
3. Optical and Coax ARE THE SAME THING, in that they carry the same digital signal. Optical has it looks and coax is just an RCA plug. Keep in mind the quality btw these two will be the same. I call them both S/PDIF.
4. S/PDIF signal can carry from 1 to 8 channels of sound, usually 6 (as in 5.1). This sound is transmitted digitally in the form of a DTS or Dolby Digital stream.

So, if you have a S/PDIF signal as output, and need a 5.1 analog signal (3 jack or 6 RCA), you need what is called a "decoder". This thing will read Dolby Digital (optionnaly dts) and will decode it to 6 channels. These things are expensive (probably well over $100), because they are very rare. Usually, every receiver has a decoder built in, so there is a seldom need for an external decoder.

Now if you have a decoder that has only S/PDIF in as coax and your source is optical, you can buy a little converter for less than $30.

A cheaper alternative for everyone (if you don't care that much about sound quality) is to buy another 5.1 sound card that has 5.1 analog out, so there would be no need for a decoder. A mere SBLive 5.1 should do the work for less than $30.

Anonymous

Hello All,

I recently purchased an SDAT HT-8AS 5.1 speaker system. Now everything I've read says that is digital (which I'm assuming means "includes decoder"). In fact, when I look on the back, the connector labels say "AC3 Inputs".
The problem is that there are 6 RCA connectors. Are these really digital inputs or are they simply analog ones disguising themselves as digital under the pretense of poor translation? I have an SB Live! 7.1 card as a source.
Maybe I should just take this subwoofer apart and see if there is decoder hardware within?

Thanks for the help.

Unregistered guest
Okay,
I have a dedicated room for a home theatre and behind the wall with the screen on it there is a seperate equipment room for our audio amps, sound processers, dvd player, etc. I want to be able to use my High Definition XBox and my computer to hook up to the audio processer. Problem: There is a rather large distance (about 20' or so) between the audio processer and where I will place the Xbox/computer (the video will be directly hooked up into the projector). Both the HD XBox A/V box and my sound card on my computer use an optical audio port and I was curious if there is a loss of quality over larger distances with the optical audio, or if I should convert to 3 stereo signals or S/PDIF and use those extendor cables (keeping cost in mind)
cheers and many thanks.

ScottMayo
Unregistered guest
No particular loss for optical cable, but optical cables of that length are going to be hard to find. If you can get them, great, use them! It's the purest approach. Otherwise, if you can convert from optical to SPDIF coax, that's the next best. Digital on coax can have a long range and can be run on cheap wire without much in the way of problems. But you want to avoid converting to analog and running three wires over 20' - sound quality might suffer.

dtb
Unregistered guest
3. Optical and Coax ARE THE SAME THING, in that they carry the same digital signal. Optical has it looks and coax is just an RCA plug. Keep in mind the quality btw these two will be the same. I call them both S/PDIF.

i find that playing a dvd using coax sounds fine. but when listening to music through the same coax it sounds only half as good. my reciever has dts and what not new.
why would the dvd sound better then a music cd on the same coax (rca)?
hopefully someone can give me some advice on making that better.

Unregistered guest
I want to be able to connect my laptop to a 5.1 surround system. From looking at the ongoings,it looks like my only option is to buy a decoder? Before I shed out some cash... is this my conclusively my only option?

Curtiss
Unregistered guest
For those of you that think connecting a PS2 with the Optical lead will give you 5.1 suround, I tryed it but was disapointed to find that when I did it the signal was stereo but the XBOX most defernatly is not and Halo sounds brilliant, it even has sounds you cant hear in stereo. Im only reading this because Im looking for a converter from Optical to analog because my computer runs off it, but the sounds so much better I dont want to go back to the old style sound card. The cheepest option Ive found is about $200 dollars US but dont waste you money on it! Otherwise its $300 plus. By the way prologic is 4 channels not 5.1 as the rear channel is mono and mono dosent cut it when your playing any game that can use 5.1. Im begining to think that Ill have to spend more than I want.

Anonymous

Please Help!

I - like a recent poster on this site - received an SDAT HT-8AS 5.1 speaker system as a gift.

This powered-subwoofer system has 6 RCA inputs, no optical inputs.

I also have an XBOX, and I am frustrated because I cannot hear my subwoofer.

The Problem:
I am running S-Video and Optical cables from my XBOX into my Pioneer VSX D509S receiver (Dolby Digital and Dolby Pro-Logic and DTS capable). My surround speakers work except for the subwoofer. The surround speakers are the crapola copper wire, and the sub is running off a single rca cable.

The subwoofer cable extends from my "Subwoofer PreOut" on my receiver to the AC3 "Subwoofer In" on the powered subwoofer.

The "technical support" guru from SDAT told me that the signal is too strong from my receiver's subwoofer preout, and that this is the reason I am not hearing anything from my subwoofer.

My apartment is in ruins, cables and speakers everywhere! Please help me get back to my Halo-2 drool!!

thanks
signed,
extremely confused thought-I-knew-enough-about-audio guy

--
Unregistered guest
Hey people,
Here is the solution for most questions above.. If you would like to find a reasonably priced digital decoder that can convert your optical/coaxial digital signals to your 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 analog outputs, try the creative DDTS 100 decoder. Its available on the creative website for 150 USD I think or you may find it cheaper at other places. I do know that most electronic stores don't have it.

Since most people you want a digital decoder, it sould let you do what you precisely want. This decoder is compact hence avaioding the size of receivers and the built in amplifier that most of you do not need since you only require a preout and you can connect it to your 5.1 logitech/creative etc. or any 5.1 audio system with a powerd amp but no digital inputs.

confused dz
Unregistered guest
Extremely Confused here (again),

thanks for the suggestion about decoders, mr. anonymous.

my question, however, is about whether I need a Converter or Decoder at all.

My Pioneer VSX D509S has Dolby decoding built in.
It should do what your DDTS 100 does.
I hear all my speakers except for my subwoofer.

My subwoofer is connected to my Pioneer's "Subwoofer Preout".
My subwoofer is self-powered.

Doesn't this sound like it should work?
It seems like something is broken.
My subwoofer is set to "on" in the Pioneer's menu, and "Large" in the subwoofer settings.

signed
STILL CONFUSED

Anonymous

I just checked out the poineer VSX D5095. It has most of the required decoding facility. So, the relief is that you don't need any converters or decoders. To get your subwoofer working all you need to do is ensure that your connections are good. It could be possible that you may have forgotten one of these..
here is a few points to go through...
1. first check if you have connected your source(DVD etc) through a optical or coaxial input of the pioneer.
2. If it is so, then check if you are playing a 5.1 facilitated DVD etc. Coz, you could be playing a two channel audio source. You would know that it is 5.1 if all your four speakers work just by giving a digital input to the receiver and not enabling any stereo surround functions in the pioneer menu.
3. Also check if the woofer trigger on. That is when the SW pre channel from the receiver is sensed by your woofer then the red led would change to green. So you would know that the woofer is working. If there no trigger then there is no input from the receiver or the receiver is not having a 5.1 source audio.
4. Most of the time it is the audio source that is faultive.

I hope this helped
Laterz...

confuseddz
Unregistered guest
Thanks dude!

that's exactly what I needed to hear.

I got it to work. USER ERROR !
I'll play the fool so others may not have to:

Make sure that BOTH of your subwoofer volume control buttons are turned up, not just one.

sheepishly,
Z

Anonymous

Hey, Guys. I read this thread and realized there are a number of people dealing with a similar problem.

I recently bought an RCA wireless speaker system that allows me to play CDs from my old RCA changer to four wireless powered speakers around my apartment. The input to the wireless transmitter is a 3.5mm mini jack or converted RCA white and red plugs.

I now want to take this a step further and use two of the wireless speakers as the rear surround speakers out of my Sony STR-DE695 6.1 receiver. However, the receiver only has speaker cable outputs and a pre-out which I've connected to my Athena AS-P300 subwoofer.

Questions:

1. Does the pre-out carry an encoded 6.1 signal played from my JVC XV-N44 DVD player? If so, how can I decode it into 6 RCA outputs or 3 mini jack? I'm interested in playing the rear surround L/R channels to the transmitter. I can get the front channels directly from the DVD player's RCA sound outputs, but there are, not surprisingly, no RCA sourround outputs for the rear channel. There are, however, both coaxial and optical digital sound outputs on the back of the DVD player, which brings me to my next question.

2. I'm not sure if the DVD will output sound to both coaxial and optical simultaneously. If it can, I would like to keep the coaxial running to my receiver to output front L/R, center and sub channels to my speakers, and convert the optical to 6 RCA jacks so that I can play the rear channels to the wireless transmitter. This is the second best option in my mind as it seems like a waste of money to buy a decoder just to get at the rear channels wirelessly. However, I don't want to run cable all over my new hardwood. I was too stupid to run speaker cable underneath the floor when I had it installed. DOH!!!! So I thought I was being really clever with the wireless solution for the rear channels, but now it looks like I'm screwed unless I buy a converter.

3. I have a Toshiba 51HX83 TV with an array of RCA outputs on the back, including a pair of two that reads VAR out L/R beside the regular audio out L/R. I'm wondering if the VAR out is the rear channel left and right. I'm currently running no sound directly to the TV, only component video from the DVD player to the TV. The TV only has RCA sound inputs, and there are only two of them, so my guess is that it can only receive the front L/R channels (intended to be played through the built-in speakers). There's a separate center channel input though. There is also a DVI input to the TV. Anyway, I was thinking that if the TV can receive a 6.1 sound signal through the DVI input (I don't know anything about DVI, not even if it carries sound or not -- I assume it does -- but coded or decoded?), and if the VAR left and right are really for the rear channels, that I could run the VAR L/R from the TV to the wireless transmitter. But that would mean I would require a device that could play DVD to DVI output, and run the rear channel only to the wireless transmitter. This seems like a stupidly expensive option.

4. Are there old receivers out there that accept coaxial or optical digital sound and play to six RCA outputs? If so, I think this would be the cheapest option. I'd like to try buying one used. I have a Harmony remote that can turn on both receivers with one activity-based command, so I'd be playing JVC DVD coaxial digital sound to Sony receiver (for front L/R, centre, and sub through speaker cable), component video from JVC DVD to Toshiba TV, and optical digital sound to used receiver (to run the rear RCA outputs to the wireless transmitter).

Ideally, I'd like to keep the wireless transmitter hooked to a receiver instead of direct from the DVD player so that I can switch between using the wireless speakers for playing music in every room and using them only for rears in my living room.

So there are all my components. Can anyone help me straighten this system out on the cheap or recommend a better configuration?

Username: Spence

Cottage grove, Oregon

ok guys i have an x-box, i bought the hookup for 5.1 (opticalout), and an all in one suposed 5.1 system ) : or not. All it has for input is headphone jacks for front rear and center, which are intagrated into the sub and the 5 speakers come out of the sub. i need to find a decoder from optical to 3-6 rca jacks (i dont know what there really called but the red white and yellow cabels). i dont want to spend allot of money and i alredy have the cabels that take the 2 red white cabels, and turn it into a headphone jack. i have been looking around and anything at the store is 100$ but online i can get them for 20-50 $ + shiping, the real question here is will this do what i need? and can you guys help me find somthing that does what i need without having to buy much more? and makeshure it's not a scame. it's alredy hard enough to get my dad to pay for anything online. thanks for anyhelp you can give me.

gwarior
Unregistered guest
Similar situation to Confuseddz

Setup
TB Santa Cruz Sound Card (will upgrade but not needed for my purpose)
Xbox - optical
Yamaha AX-V596 (plenty of bells & whistles to support everything needed)
Klipsch ProMedia 5.1

Months back I attempted throwing the ProMedias onto my receiver for DTS support of my xbox. Worked fine except the sub was soooo weak no matter how I tuned the amp and the klipsch controls for the sub and I believe I didn't have PC sub support but I may be mistaken.

As it stands now I have my pc and xbox wired to the receiver, but no sub connected for the xbox. And nothing is wired the way it SHOULD be.

PC Setup: I have Y-cables going for the front/rears going to the external decorder input of the amp and the sub is wired directly to sub/ctr channel on the soundcard
Result: Desktop control of volume affects 4 speakers and the sub is controlled independantly via the Klipsch controller

Xbox Setup:
Optical Input (support for DTS on receiver)

Speaker Wiring on Receiver
Front/Rear/Center directly wired to the receiver
Sub - Not Connected

Desired Results:
1) Full DTS support via receiver and 5.1 for xbox
2) 4.1 or 5.1 support for my pc via receiver

installdude
Unregistered guest
everybody needs a dvd-audio player, they all have 5.1 analog outputs and most have dd and dts decoding as well as dvd-a decoding builtin.

Paradux
Unregistered guest
I'm having the same old 'I want full 5.1 for Xbox but dont have surround with an optical input, hence need some sort of converter'. Is'nt there some sort of little box that will do this? I mean a cheap one!

Also for PS2 users who want the same thing my advice to you is to not bother. Your 5.1 will have support for Dolby Pro Logic 2 which is simply split from a stero input, which you might aswell keep as most all PS2 games support this and only a few (such as SSX 3) support full 5.1 surround sound.

Anonymous V
Unregistered guest
Um, this is a reply to the post with all those questions. This may sound really stupid, and perhaps I've misunderstood your problem, but:
to get two wireless rear speakers, why not terminate the plain speaker wires from your rear left and rear right speaker outputs into RCA(red for one speaker, white for other) or even stereo jack. These plugs can be bought at very little expense from Maplins, Radioshack etc. Then put the new plugs into the wireless transmitter. Make sure you only power up two of the four speakers (or put two on each side?) and bob's your uncle isn't he? The signal for your two rear speakers is being sent wirelessly, from your receiver/amp to the wireless transmitter to the speakers. I see no reason why this shouldn't work, and it'll cost you almost nothing. Does this solve your problem, or have I misunderstood? Anon V

Mr. T
Unregistered guest
I have an Onkyo 602 receiver. I have connected a MCE as well as a Polk XM Radio Tuner to it using Optical inputs. Everything works great.

I want to attach 2 wireless speakers. Onkyo will not allow the digital inputs to go out via analog outs.

Would it work to connect a digital out to a Creative Decoder and then connect the wireless speaker transmitter to it?

Is there a simpler solution?

boatman
Unregistered guest
thank you for the suggested decoders but they are too expensive. i know many cheap dvd players that have 6 channel output (built in decoder) for under £50 so why are the stand alone decoders so much more?

the problem i have is my kiss DVD(1504) player only has optical and coax output for 5.1 and my surround system only has 6 jacks for input. but i dont wanna change my dvd player as it has network port allowing me to watch movies from any computer on my network. and i dont want to buy a new surround system as i just dont have that much money.

anyways if anybody can recomend a cheaper decoder (sub £50) i would be most greatfull to hear from you.

kind regards
dave

Unregistered guest
i have a dilemma, i have a TV/DVD combo TV, it has the normal AV inputs on the front, on the back it has a normal screw in cable jack and then a digital coaxial output. I have a SOny stereo that is 5.1 capable it also has AV inputs and outputs ont he back of it as well as an optical coax OUTPUT jack, how do i get my TV sound to some out of the Stereo for DVDs with dolby 5.1 surround with just a digital coax output on the back AND are there any adapters i can get to convert it into 5.1

Troz
Unregistered guest
Having same sort of trouble, but wondering if there was a cheaper alternative to the creative ddt-100...

i'v got a dvd player with coaxial out which apparently does the 5.1 but only has stereo analogue outputs not the 5.1... now on the stereo i only got 5.1 in,

[old dvd player had the 5.1 out so didn't bother spending alot of money on a receiver which does coaxial or digital]

any cheap ways to convert the coaxial to 5.1 analogue? been googling but can't seem to find much info.. this site keeps coming up tho (Y)

Username: Alexjholland85

Post Number: 2
Hey guys

1) I got a pioneer DVD system, I asked it to support full surround sound and it doesn't, so those f*ckers are taking it back.

If I get one with an optical input, all my problems are solved yes?

2) I have a single digital audio output on my sky box, can this run into my optical in with a convertor, so I can have at least emulated surround sound?

Would VERY much appreciate those questions answered as I have to know what to demand when I take it back!!

Unregistered guest
I have a top of the range panasonic system and guess what it doesnt have an optical in so i cannot connect my sky+ box to dolby digital, but my panasonic tv has an optical in, i wondered if there was any way to broadcast that signal from the tv through the scart to the dvd/surround decoder, because there are some options on the tv that mention digital out

Username: Jaj_eran

I have 2.1 chanel dvd player it has opticle output.
can i get 5.1 channel through opticle out put
if yes ,how can i get

Username: R0ssc0vich

can i just clear something up, there seem to be alot of people with the same hang up on digital or analog. at the end of the day, no matter what the system is, the signals sent to the speakers are analog. there are a number of reasons for making sound and video transmissions/storage digital.

one is that digital transmissions take up far less bandwidth in transmiting (why we can have hundreds of digital tv channels but are restricted when we use an analog aeriel) and far less memory in storage. the process of sampling an analog source to make a digital file is inherently detructive as it 'samples' the original 'analog' sound at discrete intervals, the shorter these intervals the closer we get to the original sound.

another is that digtal signals are less susceptible to noise or interference. like when playing back and old tape cassette or video, there is usually a hiss or slight distortion of sound/picture quality. digital signals are still affected by interference but built into them are error correction codes which compensate for this. this is why a cd with a slight scratch may playback ok but when the scratch creates too many errors for the correction coding to handle it will start to skip.

another advatage of digital encoding is that the data can be read non-detructively, unlike tapes or lp's which require physical contact with a head or neadle to impart their information. therefore there is no loss in quality over time.

so, most common audio/visual equipment use digital signals nowadays. but your digital cd signals are converted back to analog before being played through your speakers, your dvd/digital tv pictures (unless hdmi - even then in a way) are converted to analog before being reproduced on your screens and your mp3 converts digital back to analog before playing from the headphones.

there is no discernible difference between connecting surround sound with an optical cable or with 5/6 discrete analog jacks. the only difference is in where the digital to anlog decoding takes place. (what piece of equipment)

hope this stops people worrying whether their equipment is digtal or analog.

scott, your best bet is to connect the audio out phonos (red and white) from the back of your sky box to your home theater system phono inputs. this will give you 2.1 surround. in other words, all 6 speakers will work and give the imression of surround sound. most transmissions by sky are in 2.1 anyway, with only a few films supporting the 5.1 dolby digital.

Post Number: 3
alex, yes a home theater system with an optical input will solve all your problems. you'll get 5.1 surround sound from your sky+ but only if you change the optical output mode to dolby d in the sound menu of the sky box. here's how: services, option 4, option 2, then set optical output to dolby d and save new settings( bottom option and press select).

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 400
I know, I didn't read the thread... but I'm going to answer how to convert optical to rca anyway since it's fun to answer.

All you need is like a $50 surround processor specifically designed to decode digital signals. it has optical inputs and coaxial digital inputs. The outputs are then sent out at rca jacks.

You just need to do a simple google search on either surround processors or preamplifers. Cheers!

Username: Penfold

Right here goes nothing, I think I have read all of this thread and understood what I need but I need some clarification on a couple of things!

1)I recently bought a new Samsung flat screen which has Nicam. I have a surround sound system Yamaha H8550 which has 2 RCA inputs and a separate 6 RCA Inputs (Dolby 5.1).

In order to use the 6 RCA inputs in my surround sound system I need a decoder so I can convert the 2 RCA outputs from the TV into Dolby 5.1 and then 6 RCA for the surround sound system ?

2) My playstaion (Old PS2) has an optical out. To plug this into my surround sound system ie optical to 6 RCA plugs will this do http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/XPP04.html or do I need a decoder to ?

Any help would be much appreciated

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12296
Andre,
Where do you get this $50 surround sound processor?

Username: Kev7017

United States

Post Number: 3
I have a onkyo tx sv545 receiver an a technic SH AC-500D sound processor that i want to connect my PC to for 5.1 SS. Can this give me the digital surround sound that i'm looking for?

Username: Mikefromcanmore

i just got 7.1 speakers from radio shack and the only inputs for it is analog
and on my xbox 360 the only outputs are digital via toslink and stereo(red and white)

if im understanding all that ive read i need to get a decoder like the ddts-100 to have the speakers for at least 5.1 surround. Correct me if im wrong at all because i dont want to spend more than $200 more for the speakers to work

Username: Flak714

Hi guys, new here
I've been searching for 2 days now after getting a set of G-51s from logitech. Has anyone tried using there PC as a converter? e.g. plug the Toslink into a creative labs sound card then use the normal outputs for the speakers? please post back if this works

Username: T0tallyl0st

Hi :S

Right... Really new at this and completely and utterly lost. Just bought a Sony Bravia and I wanted to plug my old surround sound into it but I can't. My Surround sound is 5.1ch and has 6 RCA cables that should plug into the back of your DVD player. Now as a deal I got a Sony Blu-Ray player with the TV and of course, it doesnt have what i need to connect my surround sound to it.

What i was wondering is if there is some way i can turn 6 cords into 2? The TV has the normal red and white plugs at the back but at present i would need 6.
Is there a way I can plug the 6 cords into a converter of some kind that would change /convert it to either optical or HDMI so I can plug it directly into the TV??

Please help me!!

Username: Logizziepops

Ohio

Yo Lisa,
I think i understand what you want to know. It sounds like your receiver is pretty old ( I just bought something similar on craigs list for 15 bucks) given that it has 6 RCA plugs for sound signals. B/c i have a similar receiver and wanted to know how to make my DVD player ( with digital output, like your blueray) convert to the 6 plugs, I just finished reading most of the hundred posts above yours. What I learned in summary is you need to buy a decoder for at least 50 bucks, maybe much more ( though I haven't actually searched fo one on the internet ). There's no other way to make your sound come out in surround without it with the receiver you have.

What I would do is buy a new receiver (I presume yours is almost ten years old?) (even a cheap one around $150 will work with your blue ray as long it has a digital coaxial (orange plug usually) or optical input. You could even jump on craigs list and buy almost any receiver for much cheaper. Just verify that it }has a digital audio input (that simply means you only need one plug-in (typically orange plug) instead of all those 6 separate RCA plugs.
Hope that helps. Good luck.

Username: Stanjackos

Lisa.

I do not know if you are sorted out yet but here is some info:

Blue Ray Player
The only way to get full Dolby or DTS HD sound from a Blue Ray player is either via a 1.3c standard HDMI cable into a A V Receiver with HDMI input or via 5.1 phono leads into a Receiver with 5.1 Analogue inputs. You can use a COAX or Optical output from the Player if your Receiver has these digital inputs - but this will only give you normal surround sound not HD. If your TV has onboard decoding it should provide Stereo output from your TV speakers. TV`s do not have surround sound 5.1 or 6.1 speakers built in. Therefore if the TV has stereo outputs you could feed this to your Receiver ( Only Stereo). Some Blue ray players can downsample the HD stream and pass it via HDMI to your TV but once again only in Stereo.

Freeview
If you are located in the uk. Freeview digital transmissions do not carry digital audio (5.1 or 6.1) at the moment, only Nicam Stereo. So a normal twin stereo (Red and White) lead from your Tv to the receiver will give you Nicam Stereo.

SKY
If you are in the UK. SKY broadcast SD and HD programs with Normal Dolby or DTS digital audio. In this instance you would need to take a Digital feed either Optical or COAX from the Satellite receiver to your AV Receiver which would give you full surround sound (Not HD surround sound). Once again if you connected the Stereo out from your TV to the AV Receiver you would get Stereo from your speaker system.

You should also be aware that there is no way that you could get 5.1 or 6.1 Digital surround sound from 2 Analogue phono leads.

I also assume that you have a 5.1 speaker setup from the Amplifier.

Username: Cnu

hi everyone

i have a sony home theatre which has coaxial and optical inputs and i have to connect it through pc...i have creative sound card 5.1 channel but unable to figure out how to cnnect them.....im a novice in this area....does coaxial takes digital input....and if my sound card gives analogue out....can some body give a reasonable way to connect them to get full HD experience

thanks in advance

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 3012
Hello Cnu.

Yes coaxial takes digital input. If your soundcard gives analog out, you will not be able to hook them up without a converter in between.

For the best solution, I would recommend instead buying a sound card that has a coaxial or optical output, connecting that to the Sony system.

Username: Zulugruv

Here's a possible solution for decoding an optical/spdif signal into 6 discrete channels: http://www.hdtvsupply.com/optical-to-6-channel.html

Username: Zeedeefive

Can anyone give me a suggestion on what speaker system should I buy? (or route me to my best option)

I currently have an HD Media Player that is connected to my HD-TV via HDMI. I want to get a speaker system that will output DTS. My Media Player has an S/PDIF out.

Currently, 5.1 speaker system that has S/PDIF in are way too much for my budget, I am looking to get those 5.1's that are cheap but has 6 RCA inputs.

If I purchase the later set (6 RCA in), then get those digital to analog devices (S/PDIF in to RCA out), it will definitely work right? But will the sound be the same as to those 5.1's that are connected directly via S/PDIF (without the decoder)?

(I know "sound" is pretty much subjective)

Thanks!

Topy Manalo

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 15466
Welcome to ecoustics Topy!

You can buy a Yamaha 5.1 home theater without speakers for $200
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001S2RDA4

$350 with speaker and sub:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002UZ9YDM

Very good for the price!

You can wait for the speakers then buy them later in using your own speakers even if you have only a pair!

Username: Zeedeefive

Thanks for the reply and warm welcome Plymouth! Will definitely check on this one, with it's price, It sure looks appealing.

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 15492
Topy

You are Welcome!

Username: Big_steve

Hi all,

erm.... im new to all this, so i'll try and explain to the best of my knowledge...

bassically, i have a technics mini hi fi. I used to have it hooked up to my old samsung plasma using the red and white cable things ( i dont know technical names ). just recently i've got myself a samsung LED tv. It does have the red and white cables but i have the xbox plugged into them... it does have an optical out port but my stereo doesnt have an optical port, only the red and white things. Is there a converter that will fix this for me or will i have to buy a new amp with an optical port? PLEASE HELP!?!?!

i hope i didnt go on too much? lol

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 15554
Welcome to eCoustics Steve!

There is three ways to hook your hardware, you buy 2 "Y" cable splitters, you buy a manual selector switch or you buy a RCA to optical converter.

Try the cheap "Y" splitter solution, keep only the not listened hardware not powered to listen the one you choose.

Username: Wynnie_22

Hi!

I'm new to this aswell... but my brother just bought a blu-ray player without surround sound. I've got a friend who has 5.1 speakers and subwoofer which I was hoping to buy. But will these speakers be able to connect to his new blu-ray player? The Blu-ray has an optical out.
This is meant to be a cheap pressie, so I'm not willing to pay loads for a home cinema receiver or anything, just maybe a little converter? or just rewiring?

Cheers

Silver Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 517
What is the Blu-ray player make and model?

You need more than speakers if you are planning on hearing the sound from the Blu-ray player.

Username: Burn0u7

Here's a question for you all...
I've been searching the net for a device for my situation.

I"m building a car pc. I have 4 analog inputs (FR FL RR RL) and 2 sub inputs. I'm looking for a device that will convert coax or spdif optical to separate channels with the ability to control the sub levels either by software or by tuning knob. (Front, Rear, SUB all separate all able to control the levels)

what i want to do is eliminate the head unit go pc direct with a high quality sound card or some sort of central EQ. I'm more than likely going to buy a mini-itx board or a nvidia ION with at least 1 pci slot or pci 1x. I'm fine with going USB too.

any suggestions?

Username: Sjr

OK, exhausted from reading through the forum. I think this basic question has been asked before, but I'll be specific.

I have two LCD TVs, each with analog audio (red & white) and a digital audio coax output.

I do not want to connect via a DVD player or receiver.

I have two (very) inexpensive 5.1 speaker syetem, a Lenox HT-3917 with left & right RCA inputs (I guess they split the signal internally for the center), and a Genius SW-N5.1 1000 with left, right and center inputs.

As a last resort I'll probably hook the Lenox directly using the analog outputs from one TV. But I am totally at a loss how to go from either the digital or the left-right analog outputs of the TV to the left-right-center inputs of the Genius speakers.

This may have been answered earlier but I missed it.

Gold Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 1098
Merr Christmas Evry1! "

Username: Holytrashcan

What you are looking for is right here:

$60: Sewell Digital to Analog 5.1 Dts/ac-3 Decoder Surround Sound (Toslink/coax to Rca)

http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Digital-Decoder-Surround-Toslink/dp/B005D8YTKQ

If you need pc audio outputs, simply hook up three of these bad boys to the sewell:

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-Stereo-Female-Y-Cable/dp/B0002GUBIS

Username: Zulugruv

I just got this one a couple days ago. It comes from China so it may take a long time to get it, but it's inexpensive and works great so far!
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/hdv-18a-5-1-ch-dolby-digital-dts-ac3-sound-audio-de coder-44701
It has two optical and two coax digital inputs plus a single analog stereo input with Pro Logic decoding, I am using it with my DirecTV receiver and a Media PC into the 6-channel input on my receiver.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us