Silver for positive / copper for return

Username: Dlklkdl

Sedona, Az Usa

Post Number: 1
any thoughts about using silver for the positive and copper for the return in a speaker cable ?

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1425
I have done that with my RCAs, speaker cable I intermingle (twisted) silver with copper on both paths. Try it, see how it works for you. Easier to do that first then if you want you can try it twisted later.

Good luck.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 341
Audio is AC.
No positive or negative, and certainly no return. (deposit optional)
Absolute phase MAY make a difference on some material.
Most people are.....reluctant....to test there ability to hear such differences in a blind fashion. (Not DBT)
Also, I believe design of an IC or speaker cable is more important than materials. Fundamentals First.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3934
If it were DC you'd still be backwards, electricity flows from negative to positive, not the other way around.

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1305
True david, but all electronics schematics and discussions of electricity circuits use the conventions that Ben Franklin and early scientists used when intially discussing electricity. They all believed that positive charges were what were flowing to cause electrical current. We now know its the opposite.

Username: Dlklkdl

Sedona, Az Usa

Post Number: 2
David and Christopher, Thank you for responding. I had no clue that I've been walking backwards, wow! So what your saying is,the direction of the signal is coming from the neg. side[post] and returning from the positive side[post]?

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1306
You are correct in believing that current flows from the positive side. Ben Franklin believed that positive charges were flowing to produce current. He was wrong and we now know that it is negative charges that produce the flow of electricity. Since the science world was using his conventions of drawing electrical circuits we maintain his usage of the positive end as the source of the current. We just now know better that it is the negative charge that flows. So in reality, the "positive" end is actually the negative end since that is the source of electron flow. But as stated previously, an audio signal is AC so it really doesn't matter.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us