Optical to coaxial converter?

does anyone know if there is a device to go from coaxial digital cable to optical digital(toslink) cable? I only have one coaxial input on my yamaha RX-V630 and I have a PC with coaxial out and a cable box. can anyone give me suggestions??

Anonymous
not yet. The problem there is that it's cost prohibitive to convert the signals to optical pulse. Is the output signal on your PCs coaxial jack digital?

Derek
See

Rob Baker
yes the PC is a digital output and my receiver has the coaxial digital input for the CD. My pc's soundcard is a Soundblaster Live card.

Rob Baker
Thanks for the link to Radioshack! that is what I needed, and only $15.00!!!!! This site rules!!

Anonymous
Thank Derek - Solved my problem to

Anonymous
There is one small problem if you want to convert 5.1 sound from your DVD/satellite system to your DD receiver. This device only converts the signal to PCM, which is only stereo. It would have been nice if it said that on the box and not the instruction paper. I tried it out today and it only seems to output a stereo signal.

hey.. I needed it too! this site is fantastic.. just saved me from buying a new audio box!

Derek
This one http://www.smarthome.com/77709.html
and the PAF 820 here http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/audio_toslink_adapters.html#co2 SAY they are Dolby Digital compatable. www,partsexpress.com sells one but it does not mention DD compatablilty.

Anonymous

well heck I might as well plug in my PS2 to the standard Stereo inputs rather than use the RadioShack converter if all it does is output to PCM Stereo.

Unregistered guest
this is another link i hope you find helpful http://www.national-tech.com/specs/10tr-08300.htm

Unregistered guest
this is a converter for 5.1 ch. digital audio. for 39.00 http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=2013&sku=40019

BigAl
Unregistered guest
I have been using an $18 converter for months now, and it working great. Fully DD & DTS compatible:
http://www.audioshowcase.com/specs/10tr-08300.htm
Optical -> Coaxial

They also sell one that is Coaxial -> Optical:
http://www.audioshowcase.com/specs/10tp-08200.htm

Anonymous

yeah, i want to connect my PS2 to my Sony STRDE995 "dvd" input, which only has a coaxial digital input, it can assign the toslink MD in to video 1, but then i wouldnt be able to connect both of my VCRs. I plan to try the radio shack converter because i live really close to radio shack, and if it isnt dolby digital or dts compatible, ill return it and get this one: http://www.audioshowcase.com/specs/10tr-08300.htm

Anonymous

I have a Sony Walkman portable minidisk recorder (MZ-G755). This comes with an optical connection lead which works fine when connected the PS2. However, I would like to be able to download music from my computer, which only has USB connections. Is there such a thing as an optical-to-USB conversion lead, or any other way of getting around this problem?

rfgdgfdr
Unregistered guest
SO, does anyone know if the radio shack one does or does not give 5.1 dolby digital or dts sound?

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 613
only if your source is 5.1 digital.

Unregistered guest
I am going to give the radio shack one a shot. It says something about PCM, but in reality the converter shouldn't know the difference. All it really does it convert light pulses to a square-wave digital-electric type signal. I don't think it understands anything about the format of the data itsself.

Matt Whitesides
Unregistered guest
all of them will put 5.1 sound into it it dosent put it in 2.0 but no matter what u buy the more u change the orignal signal the more the sound gets changed but it dosent make it too bad its a good way to swicth the two and the sound is still good

Unregistered guest
Iam having a home theater with 5.1 channel satellite speaker .I recently bought a DVD player with Coaxial out. But my home theater is not having an Coaxial Input, it is having an 6pin output (For front 2 speakers, Rear 2 speakers,1 surround speaker, 1 center speaker).Can any one suggest to connect 6pin outer to Coaxial Input.

Username: Acegolfer

Post Number: 1
RS 15-1228 does convert DD5.1 coaxial to DD5.1 optical. PCM supports up to 8 discrete channels and is not just a stereo.

My OTA HD STB (SRZ3000) has digital coaxial output, which is connected to my SONY receiver (digital optical input) via RS 15-1228 converter. I watched CBS preseason NFL game (Pats:Panthers) yesterday. Without any decoding, I got 5 discrete audio channels perfectly.

Anonymous

i have a scientific atlanta 8000 dvr and would like to connect the coaxial digital out to my jvc rx778v toslink connection. is this possible yet? and what do i need if it is possible?

perplexed
Unregistered guest
Sorry to bother all of you knowledgable people but I have a somewhat perplexing question. I recently bought a game console which supports DTS and Dolby Digital and the output is mini with a converter to change from mini 3.5mm to Toslink. The problem that I have is that my receiever is located in another room away from the monitor and game console. Originally I had wired the media room with a single gang box with 6 Leviton quick ports to accept RGB and analog left rigt video. I can fish a wire if need be but I would like to know if there is a way that I can still use the 6 port jack to get a digital sound signal. Also forgot to add that all the wires that I ran to the quickports is quadshield RG6.

Unregistered guest
Hi I have a Logitech Z5300 5.1 computer speaker set. I was wondering what the best way to connect it to my ps2 was. As of now I am using an rca cable that plugs into the audio outputs on my TV. It plugs into the speaker system using a computer audio cable, im not sure what those are called. Im not sure if it is getting 5.1 sound or not, but GTA: San Andreas has a Pro Logic II feature and that seems to give it 5.1 sound I believe. The problem is that in the back of the subwoofer there are 3 plug jacks(front,center/sub,rear) but I am only using one of these, and I need to turn on the Matrix feature or switch it to 2 channel sound to get all of the speakers to work. Any suggestions?

Username: Hobbitfeet

Post Number: 2
Joel:
The PS2 only has an optical output for multi-channel surround, this sends encoded digital audio. A decoder is required to utilise this signal. From the sound of it the Logitech speakers do not have a digital decoder and require multiple analog signals such as can be provided by a 5.1 soundcard on a PC (what these speakers are probably designed to be used with). It's sounds as if the speaker system is able to create a Pro-Logic (II?) surround field from the stereo feed that you are giving it. To be honest for games, this is likely to be all that's ever needed. it's only if you are using the PS2 as a DVD player that you will need to decode Dolby Digital or DTS, and for this you will need a surround processor of some description with an optical input.

Unregistered guest
Hi, does anyone know if i can i can get a device that turns optical into 5.1CH??? Can you get a device that turns stereo to 5.1CH??

Julie
Unregistered guest
I just got a new sony home theatre DVD player and am trying to connect it to an older TV via a satellite TV box. The TV has only one connection possibility - which is coaxial. Currently the coax cable from the sat box to the TV works fine. But when I attach the audio/video cables from the home theatre box to the sat box, only the audio works. The picture never hits the TV. I've tried their online support; got nowhere. I've tried changing DVD mode from "progressive" to "normal". Any ideas?

zac
Unregistered guest
hi i got a omni home theater system and it says that it can be connected by a decoder but im lost so can sum1 tell me wat is a decoder and how to connect everthing please

Bronze Member
Username: Hobbitfeet

ManchesterUK

Post Number: 34
zac,

I'm not certain here, but what I see on google when I look up "omni home theater system" is Omni speaker packages.

If that's what you have, and they are self powered (plug into the mains) then to send a surround signal to them, you need something to decode the 5.1 signal found on a DVD - this is a decoder.
PCs can do this and 5.1 sound cards often allow you to connect up 3 sets of connections to the speakers.

There are also lots of hardware decoders available, to use these you send the audio signal from the DVD player (or PC) via a digital link (usually optical or co-axial). The decoder then interprets the 5.1 sound into information to be sent either to the speakers and the subwoofer (if they are powered), or to an amplifier with no decoder.

To further complicate things, some DVD players have built-in decoders. These are able to pass decoded signals to amplifiers with no decoder (like an old pro-logic amp) or to powered speakers (which need no external amp).

Confusing, I know, but without knowing exactly what you have it's difficult to help.
Hope that helps :D

Unregistered guest
i bought a 5.1 altec lansing 3151r, it is connected to my cmi8738 sound card via 3 baby jacks, when a played a dvd movie with dts/prologic feature, it doesnt sound like 5.1, do you know any cheap sound card that really decodes dts/prologic? also im planning to hook up my TV via video card, any suggestion regarding tv out AGP? (btw my tv is a 32" i think its 1994 model sony trinitron"

Unregistered guest
I have an interesting problem. I just bought a new Harman Kardon digital reciever and a new dvd/cd player that has an optical digital output. i was told that this was the highest quality of sound reproduction that I could utilize. So, I bought some Monster optical digital cables. But, if there are extended gaps between songs, when the disc changes or moments of complete quiet in movies...the signal cuts and it picks back up a split second after the next track/cd/or aciton/ dialog begins. Like putting it on pause right when the sound begins and pressing play. Just a fragment of "sound clipping" if you will. The HK manual clearly states that this is normal for optical digital. When the sound drops then no information is coming through. I called every major electronics dealer and they said the same thing. One even said that using optical cables is completely usless unless you are playing SACD/ 5.1 cd.s. I even called Monster Cable and THEY said this was an inherant problem with optical and said coaxial was a better choice. Is this true and does coaxial digital do the same thing?

Bronze Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 81
This is a common occurence with a digital signal Russel. In the bitsteam as read from a CD there are areas of this disk that contain no information,especially between tracks. Most DA converters will briefly drop the signal and then re-lock onto it once the data is present again,sometimes this will result in a abrupt starting of a track on a CD or a missing of the first half second or so of the track. This will happen with a coaxial digital signal as well E.Ramsey

Russell H.
Unregistered guest
Wow, thanks for the quick response eric. Is there no way around this problem? It would seem that there could be some way to "process" an "in between" signal to prevent the drop off. The customer service rep at Monster said no matter how much you spend that even the higher end cables will do the same thing. It's really frustrating to have bit's of info like that clipped out.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 87
No unfortunately Russel: That how it's set up for a brief muting. E.Ramsey

Russell H
Unregistered guest
okay...here is another one. I have the Harman Kardon 435 reciever. I have it hooked up for 5.1. I've done all the sound test's calibrations etc. When watching movies sound comes through all the speakers in DTS or Dolby. The front panel display of the 435 lets you know which speakers are recieving sound via little picture displays of the speaker set up. When they are being used little "brackets" appear and the corresposding letter (i.e. L, R, C, SR etc.) also let's you know that you are getting sound. So says the manual. BUT mine only indicates the L and R letters in the front left and right speakers while the other speakers just have brackets and are void of letters. I have sound in all the speakers. Is the manual wrong, is the reciever faulty, or am I missing something?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 96
How do you have it wired Russell? Do you have the dvd player connected with a fiber optic(toslink) or the coaxial cable or have the 6 channel analog(outputs from your dvd player to the 6 channel analog inputs on the receiver? If you have the digital connection all speakers on the display panel should be lit up if all of the speakers are connected properly. On my HK to use the 6 channel inputs,which I use for DVD audio you have to set the source selector to "6 channel Direct". E.Ramsey

Russell H
Unregistered guest
I have the optical connected. When I switched it to 6 channel all the speakers then displayed the letters. But I don't have the 6 channel referance cables so I get no sound of course. All the speakers seemed to be hooked up properly. Sound is feeding through all of them. I've put a Dolby Digital and DTS movie in, selected them as the sound source via the DVD and reciever but only the L and R letters show up. By the way Is 6/8 channel direct a better way to go? I was told that you can only view movies in DTS or Dolby Digital only through optical or coaxial digital.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 98
Use the optical connector Russell. If the speakers are all connected properly all speakers should be lit up in the display window. Another possibility is that you may not have the digital output set up properly on your DVD player. This was the case when I set up my JVC DVD player. Optical was fine but I decided to go with the coax digital and I had to adjust it because in DolbyD it was fine but in DTS, sound only came throught the front left and right channels. this may be the problem. Don't use the six channel input for surround because the receivers decoder chipset will be by-passed and the chipset in the DVD player will do the decoding if it has a built- in decoder. Unless you have a very good and expensive DVD player chances are that the chipset in the receiver will be superior. Also the tone controls on the receiver will be defeated if you connect this way.E.Ramsey

Russell H
Unregistered guest
BINGO!! that was the problem. I had to set it up from the dvd player like you suggested. didn't even think about it. NOW all the speakers are lit up. thanks again. One other note: Im going to upgrade my DVD player (Sony I think) but have heard a lot of back and forth about single vs. changer. can there be that much of a differance?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 100
It's the same old hat again,single vs. changer. You should buy what offers the greatest convienence to you. E.Ramsey

Anonymous

I just got a Sony MZ-R10 portable MD recorder. It has a line in (Opt)? I want to know what kind of cable do I need to connect my Roland digital recorder/sequencer which has a digital out plug to connect to MZ R10? Also which cable can I use from RCA stereo line on my mixer to line-in on MZ-R10, which has an optical line-in? I am presuming that "opt" means optical? Any advise would be greatly appreicated as the store here have limited products and knowledge. Thank you.

Unregistered guest
Hello, My DVD player has only a Coaxial output )no optical), whereas my receiver has only optical input. How can I convert the Coaxial output to Optical input. Anyone knows to solve this issue please....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us