Component to Composite cable question

Username: Mallett

Post Number: 1
Hi everyone; I'm new to the forum and I'm having a problem with a cable i have just purchased.

I purchased a 'PC VGA to Component' cable because i want to view my HP Pavillion dv6000 laptops' screen contents on my TV.

The problem I am having is that my TV has female COMPOSITE (Red, White and Yellow connectors) and the cable has male COMPONENT ( Red, Blue and Green) connectors!!

I'm not sure which colour goes where!

Also, is there anything else that I might have to do to get this setup up and running?

I hope i have posted enough info...

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

mallett :-)

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1131
Return the cable and get the right one, PC VGA to RCA, you only need the yellow female input connected from you VGA output.

Use a stereo miniplug from the speaker output of your PC, the light green mini jack connector. Run a pair of red and white RCA plugs from the miniplug connector in the the female read and white inputs on your TV.

Print this and bring it with you to Radio Shack or wherever and they will provide you what you need.

The VGA to composite is not going to provide any sound as it is a video output. The VGA to Component was not going to provide any sound to your TV either if your TV could have accecpted that connector.

Post Number: 2
hi,

thanks for the quick reply.

I went back to the site where i brought the cable from and there are quite a few!
Would it be at all possible for you to identify the best one to order:

http://www.dealextreme.com/search.dx/search.PC%20VGA%20to%20RCA

any advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks

mallett

Post Number: 3
also, would you recommend s-video to rca, or vga to rca? my laptop has both ports

mallett

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1132
VGA to RCA is a more secure connector that S-Video to RCA.

You will need these two.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10281

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5143

If they are not long enough you will need to get female / female connectors and run RCAs from there to your TV.

To avoid the next question that would be three of these, bottom left of the page from this link.

http://www.surplussales.com/Connectors/RCA-1.html

Post Number: 4
Thanks ever so much for your help so far Michael,

I was just reading a reply to the first link and there seems to be an issue with it not working?!
Not sure if there were any other alternatives with a good rating (on this site) ??

mallett

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1134
I do not understand what you are trying to do. All three links I posted come up fine for me.

If you are having difficulties navigating the web-site I do not know what to tell you. It is the web site you provided initially.

Try Parts Express if all else fails.

Post Number: 5
My bad!

I mean't that someone who had reviewed the cable says that the cable doesn't work. I was just wondering if there were any other alternatives instead of the cable that has bad feedback.

Thanks

mallett

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1138
Does the merchant have a return policy?

What are you worried about, how much are you spending?

Is there a Frye's or other Computer parts store in your area?

Post Number: 7
Hi Michael,

I'm not too fussed about the cost of $7.00 or returning the cable.
I ordered the two cables today that you suggested though, and I'll be sure to update you when they arrive.

mallett

Post Number: 8
Hi,

Just a quick update to say that I am still waiting for my cables to arrive! i'll update u when they are here :-)

mallett

Post Number: 9
Hi,

I got my cables today (The ones you advised me to get) but i still can't get the setup to work. I have connected both video and audio cables into an AV sender (which has been tested on my desktop PC and works fine.)

The problem is that i can only get the audio to work. NO PICTURE :-(

I have tried various scart sockets on my TV and it just isn't happening.

Here are my setup specifications:

HP Pavillion dv6000 Laptop
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10281
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5143
Geforce Go 6150 Graphics card (in laptop)
1 fully working AV Sender

I just can't seem to find a solution to my problem :-(

Thanks again for your support so far...

mallett
}

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1145
You never mentioned an AV Sender before.

What I recommended to you will work from you laptop directly into your TV. Why would you even need an AV sender with a laptop?

You said you have composite connectors on your TV.

The red and white RCAs go from the mini jack on the laptop into the red and white female RCA plugs on the back of your TV. The video feed goes from the VGA out on your laptop into the yellow female RCA feed on the back of your TV.

Make sure your laptop's properties are set up for dual or external monitors!!!

Post Number: 10
hi,

i tried my AV sender so i can run a test on my tv in the lounge.
When everything is connected (as you outlined in the previous post), i go into my display properties on my laptop, and enable dual display. As i do so, i can hear the audio coming from my laptop fine on my TV. Then when i click to show the image on my TV (from desktop) i can hear a 'click' noise on my TV but no picture is displayed!

i have updated my display drivers and still haven't had any luck?!

This is tricky!

mallett

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1147
Did you change the input to your TV from cable to line in? If not, try that first. If you do not have a an option for line in, older TVs Line In is sometimes channel 01 or 00.

If the above is not applicable, did you try to go direct connect from laptop to TV without using the AV Sender?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
I have selected my scart channel where the wires are connected - is that what you mean?

Also, i am trying to link it direct into the front of my tv now - still without any luck!

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1148
I have no idea what a "scart channel" is.

Just try this. When you have it all connected directly to the front of your TV, switch your input selector to hit every input you have, give each on enough time to turn on before you go on to the next.

If that does not work try your TV menu to see if there are any options there which would work for you.

This should not be this difficult.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
I mean the channel that displays the scart eg: AV1,AV2 etc... I'm in the UK - it may be different here?!

I have clicked my input selector and gone to the correct channel. Like i said i can get sound fine, but there isn't an image at all.

Tried the TV menu, tried every setting.

I've done this before many times but it just isn't working this time round! lol

Any other suggestions Michael?

thanks buddy

mallett

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1149
Not immediately out of hand.

Can you get this configuration to work on any TV at all? If so we may be able to build off of that, otherwise...

Let's hope that Frank A. shows up here or Jan or someone else may have something which you and I overlooked.

Punting...

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1150
mallett,

fake punt, one more try. I used my "Phone a friend" lifeline on this and here is what he offered for me to pass on to you...

"Well, the fact that he's in the UK brings up the question of which TV format is his TV? SECAM, PAL, or NTSC (U.S. formant) If he's SECAM or PAL, then the output may never work because the two formats are different. If his video card supports it that is fine. Secondly, I'd look to see what resolution his 2nd monitor is set for. If it is higher than 1024 x 768, it may be too high for his TV unless it's an HDTV. Please ascertain if it is HDTV or SDTV (normal TV). If he doesn't know what format his TV receives broadcasts in, tell him to look it up on the manufacturer's web page for the model he has. Since he mentioned SCART connections, there are separate adapters for VGA or Svideo to handle SCART. He may need to consult AV people in the UK familiar with his gear.

Thanks,
Garry"

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Thanks for your support Michael.
i'll keep tryin' :-) :-)

mallett
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?