High-Def DVD Player connector?

Username: Emabb

Post Number: 1
Ok, I'm new here and I am close to technologically inept. Here's the deal...

I got an Magnavox HD DVD player from a friend. Unfortunately, my Magnavox television does not have an HDMI IN port. I would really like to be able to access the High-Definition features of my DVD player, but I don't want to go out and buy a brand new television.

As I have said, I am not very tech-savvy, so if anyone could explain to me any solutions that there might be, that would be great! Thanks so much!

Diamond Member
Username: Ecoustics

San Francisco, CA USA

Post Number: 215
I could be wrong, but I don't believe Magnavox makes a HD DVD player (yet). What you likely have is regular DVD player that up-converts regular DVDs to near HD quality, but does not play "HD DVD discs".

With that being said, you'll get the best picture if you connect your DVD player to the TV with one of these connections listed (best to worst).
  1. HDMI or DVI
  2. Component Video
  3. S-Video
  4. Composite
To learn more about cables check out this article.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/products/articles/207261.html

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3660
Unless you have an EDTV or HDTV, you don't say wheather you do or not, you're not going to get anything other than 480i (standard definition) out of the player. Brian is right, it's not an HD-DVD player, just an upconverter. All HDTVs upconvert to their native resolution anyway, so there may or may not be a difference using an upconverting player. It depends on wheather the TV or the player does a better job of upconverting.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us