Interconnect and Speaker Wire Guidance

Username: Tsh

Post Number: 2
Looking for some general guidance on cables for my 2 channel system. I have a NAD C542/C352 CDP/Amp combo with Monitor Audio Silver 6 speakers. I have not invested any money in cabling as yet. Using a pretty generic interconnect and home depot 14 gauge speaker wire into one pair of the binding posts only.

I have had the system for a little more than 2 years, so I have given it a fair workout and think I know what I am looking for.

I have spent a lot of time reading about cables and know that I do not want to start a debate here. But, I am overwhelmed by the info and options. So, let's assume that I know I need to spend some money on cables, say up to $200 total for all cabling - that would be 10% of the original pre-tax purchase price of the entire setup at $2K Cdn. If I dont have to spend all that to get the improvement I want, great - more money for music.

By "improvement", I mean the following: I listen to a wide range of music - jazz, vocal jazz, 80s and 90s alt-rock, acoustic/folk, ambient/club lounge...My system handles most of it pretty well, but there are some challenges. Some female vocals and some electric guitars sound 'bright' and some discs give me fatigue. I recognize that this is a result of the speakers and their metal dome tweeters PLUS some of those early CD recordings.

So, long story short, I would like to soften that aspect of the system without negatively impacting the presentation of what is already sounding great. I need to do this by replacing the CDP to Amp interconnect and the two 10ft runs of speaker wire.

Does that make sense?
Thanks in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 361
Yes, this seems to me the most difficult topic to figure. I still don't know what...

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 14153
Yes it makes sense, but you do not want to overcome your systems' perceived deficiencies with cabling. If you already know that the problem is your speaker, change them.

Cables will not soften the brightness of your metal dome. If you want to overcome the shrillness of the tweeters, turning down the treble or placing foam padding in front your tweeters will affect it more so than changing cables.

If anything, there are self proclaimed "golden eared" audiophiles out there who will claim that generic cables restrict the sound or whatever, being produced by your equipment and that the right cables will open them up and add detail.

Post Number: 3
Want to avoid replacing speakers for now. I know I had read somewhere that there were certain types of cables that were "warmer" than others - since I hadnt invested anything in cables, I figured there may be a small investment I could make to both improve overall performance and tame some brightness.

However, I am more than happy to try some other 'home' remedies first! Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 999
TS, Home remedies. Make sure you read down to Vigne post on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 02:06 pm.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/accessories/342576.html

Worked like a charm for me. I won't even get into how much I had invested in ICs and speaker wire before Jan and I built this (slightly modified).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Wanted to update the loop on this. I had started a home theatre upgrade thread around the same time. Now it looks like I lose my 2 channel room and will have to merge home theate/stereo into one system. Cable decisions will wait until I figure out what the heck to do in the merge.

thanks to all for their input so far - i appreciate it. more to come...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us