Digital Output to RCA

Username: Smittykun

Post Number: 1
I have a HDTV flat panel, its only audio output is a Digital Output with the RCA type plug in, my amp only has RCA inputs... no digi in... do I have any options but to buy a new with digital inputs

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3506
Unless you can get the audio from whatever the source is, you need a new receiver. Using the analog inputs on a receiver doesn't give anywhere near the quality of a digital input. You can't get 5.1 or higher audio through analog inputs. If you want quality audio, get a new receiver.

Username: Smittykun

Post Number: 2
I am not too worried about 5.1 just because all I need it for is watching TV... not DVD's or anything else... is there anything I can do?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3507
Not unless you can get the audio from whatever the source is. There's a fair amont of HDTV programs broadcast in 5.1.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 555
Paul I'm assuming that you want to output the digital audio from the TV to your receiver in order to get the sound from over the air HDTV broadcasts as with an antenna. This is the only purpose of a digital output on a TV is to output a digital audio signal from the built-in HDTV tuner to equipment, rec,pre-pro-amp etc.,that can decode it and turn it into a speaker level signal. There is only one possible solution that may work since the digital output from the TV is either DD 5.1 or 2.0 depending on content. You could go on Ebay or Audiogon and find a stand alone DD processor with analog outputs,I believe Techniques made one in the late 90's. You should be able to find one for about $100 US or so. This will certainly be cheaper than buying a new rec, if you don't have the funds right now. DD is the audio content of HDTV so it will be a 24 bit signal so regular 16 and 18 bit CD based DAC's will not work. You may be able to find one if you look hard enough. This is the only possible solution.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3509
If you go that way you'll just lose out on 5.1 audio. I've seen new receivers with DD and DTS in sale ads for $100 many times. If they sell them for $100 new, you can surely pick one up on ebay or from a pawn shop for $100 or less.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 556
Indeed David he will just end up with a downmixed 2 ch. analog signal. Although you can get a used receiver( low quality) for about the same price, he didn't want a new receiver and is happy with just 2ch. so the suggestion I offered is quite feasable provided he could locate one of these units.

"Using the analog inputs on a receiver doesn't give anywhere the quality of a digital input."

That is quite true with surround sound, but is very arguable with CD. I've often been a strong proponent of using digital inputs for CD but lately after experimenting with both (RCA analog and coax digital- won't use optical too much jitter) I definately hear differences between the two. With analog the noise floor is higher and some faint hiss is detectable but the treble is smoother and not as bright as digital. The digital input is more shrill with some CDs but the bass is a little deeper and tighter than analog. It's truly a trade-off between the two.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us