Do you plug your amp?

Silver Member
Username: Divin11112000

Michigan

Post Number: 121
I have a panamax 5100, and I am now using my receiver as a pre-amp since i recently purchased an amp but i was told i shoudn't run the amp through the conditioner.

My question is does anyone plug their amp into the power conditioner? i was told i may limit the dynamics / dynamic headroom of the amp if it was forced through a power conditioner.

This was advice from the dealer where I bought my amp, and I do trust his advice. However if I don't run the amp through the conditioner, then what was the sense in purchasing the conditioner anyway? I'm not overly worried about the conditioner part, i'm more worried about the surges and power loss.

Currently I am running through the conditioner, but i have not really had the time to check as to if it sounded limited in any way. I also don't typically push the amp too hard due to the size of my house.

I have my receiver in the pre-amp zone (i'm not driving any speakers off of the unit) and the sub and amp in the "amp/sub and receiver" outlets. These appear as if they are higher current outlets.

Thanks for any input

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4435
I no longer use a conditioner and I especially wouldn't run my amp through one...sounds better to me straight out of the wall. If you live where surges happen often you will want to protect more fragile electronics but even if the amp is susceptable I still don't protect it...need it at it's best. I'm sure others will have different ideas.

Bronze Member
Username: Leonski

Post Number: 64
I would urge a critical listening A/B test for this. Try various loudness levels, including well above where you would otherwise normally listen.
The amp meter on my Panamax 5510 hasn't been above about 6 amps. This is with a Rotel RB1070 of 130/side @8ohms going pretty good into some low-efficiency 5ohm speakers. I suspect no current limiting at this level. Other equpment, including a Sony 60"SXRD is also plugged into this unit.
Upon install, several years ago, I immediately noted better sound. The stereo image was enough changed that I had to re-tune my speakers position and distance from the wall....They are ancient Magnapan MG-1's and are quite sensitive to positioning. The sound came from a 'darker' background, is the only way I can put it. Even the TV was improved, with NO static 'blips' even at close inspection. At nite, when turning off the source first, the TV went completely DARK with out any static whatsoever.
For me, the tradeoffs were all positive. I wish I had a good o-scope to see just how messed up the power here is. Word is, a toroidal transformer acts to 'trap' this type of crud, but I wouldn't trade my power conditioner with isolation transformer for ANY other add-on that I am aware.
And, from our 'for what it's worth' department, hi-power electronics....amps....are the least susceptable to such interference. My old amp, a Carver Cube had no built in interference rejection in the form of a Toroid. That may account for the help the conditioner gave my system at that time. I should, for the sake of 'science' plug my new Rotel straight into the mains, and see! (listen, actually) BUT, if you think I'm going to dive into that wiring morass, you are crazier than I am!!!lol
Try it both ways and have good listen...maybe take a few days with each setup?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6787
My amp was stifled through the filter.
Much better into the straight feed.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 344
Agreed, amps to wall socket, everything else to conditioner / regulator / protector. Yes, even if its Monster.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 345
Agreed, amps to wall socket, everything else to conditioner / regulator / protector. Yes, even if its Monster.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us