DIY acoustic treatments?

Username: Biz_dance

Post Number: 5
Hi folks,

Does anybody have good ideas on relatively inexpensive DIY acoustic treatments? I'm finishing my basement from scratch so I have alot of options open to me. My local audio dealer gave me some tips to help the room sound a bit better. A little additional expertise would help me along greatly!

My room is approx: 11' wide x 17' long x 7.5' high.

For starters he said I should use 5/8" drywall instead of 1/2" and double screw it and glue it to make it as solid as possible.

I will have concrete surrounding 3 of 4 walls. The wall not surrounded by concrete he said I should offset by 3 degrees to keep it from being a rectangle.

Finally for acoustic panels he said that I could glue together three pieces of carpet underpad (I'll have 10mm) and place them to prevent direct reflection from the front two loudspeakers as well as directly behind the couch to prevent rear reflections. I'm planning on covering these with white canvas and painting a japanese style cherry blossom branch on them to make it look half decent.

I will have carpet on the floor with 10mm underpad and a subfloor made of a plywood type pressboard to help insulate the room. (I live in Canada) My ceiling will be drywalled and I will insulate it with some kind of special sound insulation from home depot.

I was planning on using regular insulation on the outside concrete walls. Would it be benificial to use the sound insulation on all of the walls?

Do the homemade panels sound like a decent solution considering I won't be purchasing some?

Any DIY tips would be great. I'd like to do as much as possible for my room.

Thanks, Erich

Username: Boyce

Post Number: 6
I did use london series, it work for me.http://www.primacoustic.com/studiokit.htm

Bronze Member
Username: Willieman

PR USA

Post Number: 51

Username: Comfortex

Post Number: 3
Not quite DIY but our 45mm tiles are on offer at very reasonable prices

http://www.acoustic-foam.co.uk/testresults.pdf

www.acoustic-foam.co.uk

Silver Member
Username: Nency

Post Number: 112
Treat room acoustics acoustically, not electronically (unless it's for frequencies below 120 Hz where your brain cannot tell the difference between your loudspeakers and sub woofer and your room).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us