Digital cable and coax question

Username: Alm70

Post Number: 1
I have digital cable and at the moment the way I have the cable box hooked up to the tv is through RF/coaxial from the cable box to the VHF/UHF connection on the tv. The little that I do know about this stuff, wouldnt this hook-up produce the poorest quality picture? Maybe it's the limitations of the cable box, but I can't see any other way to do it.

Jukey
Unregistered guest
that would produce the worst quality. you should connect the cable jack on your wall to the cable unit with coaxial. the cable box to the TV should be the best connector you TV has. or the best one your cable box has. can you list the inputs on your TV and the outputs on your cable box???

Username: Alm70

Post Number: 2
Thanks Jukey. I'm new at all this and just learning. I appreciate yourt taking the time to help me.

The TV is new so it has lots of good inputs and outputs. 1 HDMI (high def. Multi media interface) 2 component inputs, 2 S-video inputs, Audio out, and a VHF/UHF RF input. I have my DVD player hooked up to the 1st component input on the tv and the picture looks great when playing a dvd.

Now for the Cable box. It has...RF output (how I have it hooked to the TV now) S-video, which I tried hooking the box up this way and it was only in black and white and looked awful. Video composite, tried this to the tv and it looked awful. I'm thinking my limitations are due to the cable box? It's kind of a strange box. Here is the link http://www.i3micro.com/templates/i3_ProductPage.aspx?id=262

You would think I would be happy with the s-video, but like I said it is black and white. I've had this box about 3 years. Is it safe to assume it is this box that is holding me back? Would a new box have the HDMI output?

Thanks in advance...

Bronze Member
Username: Beyondtool

Post Number: 16
Black and white S-Video is usually either a fault with the device, a fault with the cable, poor connections or the signal is PAL and the Tv is in NTSC mode or Vice Versa. Try playing with the Tv settings.

Username: Frenchbus

Post Number: 1
Recently I purchased RCA digital cables. They appear to work well with my Yamaha A/V system however the vendor sold RCA Digital audio cables, coaxial digital cable and video/audio digital cable. The prices varied between 20 and 30 dollars for 2 x 6ft.
The audio digital cables I bought are labeled left and right .........leads me to believe that they are not for use as a digital conductor between a DVD and an A/V receiver and I should have bought the coaxial digital cable. Am I reading to much into this?

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3369
You don't need a $30 cable. Any decent coax cable will do. If you do want a digital coax cable, you can get them on ebay for a lot less than $20-30.

Gold Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1821
Robert: let's see if we can sort this out. First, your pair of audio cables are - or should be - analog, not digital, cables. If they're labeled L & R - they're not digital.

Digital cable would one cable - either coax or optical. Most folk I know use coax - your choice here.

I'm more concerned about the quality of cable you're using. Twenty bucks for a pair of 6-ft. long cables is not going to get you quality - and quality you need, especially in the analog cables. Keep your cables as short as possible.

See if you can find a place or salesman where you can get better connects - or even better, go Online and check out Cobalt Cables, Blue Jeans cables and Signal Cables.

As I don't know the details of your rig, it's hard to make more specific recommendations.

Reach out on this Forum to the likes of Jan, MR and Art - see what they recommend - they've all been big help to me.

LR

Username: Frenchbus

Post Number: 2
LR
You touched on the problem. The cables were sold as "audio digital cables" however the box contained 2 cables...L and R.... which leads me to believe that they are analogue. I guess I could ask the vendor however the store where I purchased the item probably wouldn't know the difference.

Gold Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1828
Robert - if the store where you purchased the cables can't tell digital from analogue - well, with all due respect, you need to shop elsewhere, sir!

I still do not know what your rig is, but if I may humbly suggest - go Online to Blue Jeans Cables, and ask them for their recommendations. These people are very knowledgeable, and friendly, too! (grin)

Today, they gave me so much important information that I changed cable-courses in mid-stream, so to speak. I think you'd like these folks - they sell quality cable at very, very good prices!

Let us on the Forum know just what you're running - Jan, Art, Nuck, MR and all are much more informed than I am - and they very readily reach out to help those of us who need it most! (grin)

Respectfully. . .LarryR
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us