New Home (theater prewire) confusion HELP!

Username: Larson619

Roseville, CA USA

Post Number: 3
Help!!! My new home is now done (with the builder recommended home theater prewire- 18 foot ceilings) and i am ready to install my nice 5.1 system, my 2 outdoor speakers and my 2 garage in-walls. To my surprise I am totally lost. I have a junction box with a run of 3 (16/4) cables (right, center, left I assume), 2 runs of Coax (sub and ??), and 2 more runs of 16/4 cables (outdoor or garage?? not sure) for 9 total speakers. (5.1 in the living room, plus 2 outdoor speakers and 2 in walls for the garage.

My lengthy inspection of the attic verifies that each of the 9 speakers seem to be run in series. They are all connnected and I cannot figure out what the hell they did? Am i lost or is there a secrect to the the home theater prewire?

p.s. the runs also include 3 locations for volume control should that make a difference?

WEC
Unregistered guest
>>"My lengthy inspection of the attic verifies that each of the 9 speakers seem to be run in series."<<

I wouldn't think so. You may be seeing a 4 conductor feeding the speakers and it looks like a series wiring.

My initial take on it would be:
1 16/4 - Front L/R
1 16/4 - Rear L/R
1 16/4 - Center
And then a 16/4 to the garage and one to outside.
Each of these locations would have a volume control.
The third VC is probably in the HT room

Coax could be TV feeds and/or sub. Or, quite possibly, the left over pair from the 16/4 going to the center speaker might have been jumped to a sub location.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us