Help with remote extenders?

Username: Ecroskey

Post Number: 1
Hello all,
First visit here and really enjoying the boards.

I have a question about remote extenders. I recently finished up a remodel of my basement and moved everything into the unfinished side with the TV screen coming through the wall. My cable box and HTIB are on the unfinished side on shelves.

I mounted a remote extender (transmitter) in my finished side and the reciever in the unfinished side with very good field of IR vision to both the cable box and the HTIB. Now, the IR extender works flawlessly for the Phillips HTIB, I can do everything I need to. But the Scientific Atlanta (Warner Cable DVR HD) box has problems.

If I am more than three feet from the IR extender, the cable box doesn't respond...at all. Which really sticnks, because it's mounted to the opposite wall from where we sit. So I have to get up and walk over to it and point the remote right at it to make it work.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Anyone have a trick to make it function?

The dumb thing is that I can go into the unfinished portion of my basement and be almost 25 feet from the cable box and it works flawlessly, even with items obstructing the IR.

The IR extender is suppose to pick up the IR signal from the remote, convert it to RF and then deliver the signal back to the receiver where it turns the signal back into IR for the equipment to pick it up. I have tried two sets of the extenders, Jensen and RadioShack, both with the same results.

I would really like an answer if anyone has one.

Thank you.

E

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 757
I had the same problem with my rf extender with the phillips pronto, but putting a .1 sec delay in front of the button helped out. Don't know what type of remote you are using but if it is not programmable, then I don't know.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1402
Moving the antenna around on the receiver can make a big difference. I also found that raising the transmitter height made it work better.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us