Sound quality lost when speakers removed from shelf to stands? WHY??

Bronze Member
Username: Stifa

Post Number: 30
I'm losing my patience here...thinking of selling whole setup and buy whatever...

I have B&W CDM1 SE speakers-bookshelves.
I had them on two different shelves both around 1 meter high, and sound was there...It was all rigt ,but reading DAMN magazines and stuff on the net made me buy stands.

Stands are 55 cm high and speakers are on them.
They are in the same position like before only 50 cm lower on stands.
SOUND became smaller and details cant be heard like before, it seems that bass became boomier anyhow fullnes of instruments is half lost.

WHY? PLEASE!
I'm affraid because I read somewhere that space below speakers must be sound-proofed?! RIGHT?
Now below my speakers/stands is just wood-floor.
I also removed shelves so there is a bit more space around. (just a bit) .Stands are hollow but fairly heavy .

ANY INPUT HELPFUL
thanks

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3784

If the speakers are the same distance from the rear wall, the switch to a stand is probably a matter of how secure the speakers are in space. If the stands wobble or resonate, you will loose performance.

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 514
that's wierd... i would have expected just the opposite. usially speakers sound boomier closer to walls which reenforce bass. if anything, moving away from a wall would make a speaker sound bass shy. the only explaination i can think of is that you positioned the speakers in a standing wave zone that's emphasizing a bass frequency.

just putting speakers on stands is only the start. you need to experiment with positioning to get the best sound. you also need to MEASURE the distance to the back walls as just 1/2" of difference between your speakers can make a big difference. poorly positioned speakers can sound muddy while properly set up speakers will snap into focus nicely.

your front to back distance will mostly affect bass response and left to right width will affect image solidity and proper toe in will further aid in imaging.

like JV said, you could be getting stand resonances. wood speaker stands aren't the best, then add a hollow space and you could be getting alot of resonance. my steel stands sounded alot better once i finally filled them with sand.

mass loading and damping your stands helps.

before you change anything, try experimenting with positioning and make sure to measure your front to back and side to side distances.

it's generally considered bad to have speakers the same distance from both front and side walls.

there are many things with positioning that can be done to ruin your sound as well as improve it. just 1/2 a foot difference in positioning can make a huge difference in sonics.

adjustable feet on stands are nice too. my floors are very uneven. levelling the stands helps too, and dollar store "blue tack" between your speakers and stands is a nice way to couple them.

Bronze Member
Username: Overdoze

Post Number: 14
OK. Try this:-
Get two concrete paving slabs and put them under your stands (industrial looks cool).Add concrete blocks to raise the tweeter level to approximate ear height at your listening position.
Fill stands with kiln dried sand if possible.
Fit spikes to underside of stands.
I'm assuming you are able to do this, ie have metal fillable stands?
This will greatly increase the quality of your speaker sound as they will be much more rigidly coupled to your floor and therefore less affected by external resonances.
The ideal situation is to get your speakers held as still as possible when in use.They need to be rooted solidly to the floor.
Blu-tack will nicely hold your speakers on the stands.

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 628
Think of a speaker as an extention of any given sound. Teach yourself how sound works and behaves.

I am talking about physics here.

Take for instance a quarter. Drop it on a hardwood floor. Stand directly in front of it. Now do the same thing but stand back 3' away from it. Repeat the same thing, but now turn sideways as you listen to it. Now try asking someone to drop the quarter while you lie on your side on the floor and listen as the quater bounces off of the floor.

Is there a difference in sound between each listening position?

Now repaet the same but bounce the quarter off of a piece of sheetrock placed on th efloor.

Is there a difference in sound compared to the first test?

Now set up a hardwood follr sample on your kitchen table and repeat the same processes.

Is there a difference in sound compared to the previous tests?

If not, then do not waste your money on expensive audio equipment or read anymore reviews or take any more advice regarding sound. It will not matter what you have. You need to understand the way sound works and have an ear for it.

Please do not take this as an insult. I am merely trying to help. Asking other peoples opinions on what mught be the problem as to why the sound is different when your speakers are in a different location or height will only get you "opinions". The best sound experts are no book worms or do they have a degree in sound. They learned it the natural way. I hope you will too.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us