Newbie q, what gauge my speaker needs??

Henrico
Unregistered guest
hello,
i'm using yamaha 100watt NX430P. I want to replace for new quality cable..and hope its help. (since i'm still not satisfied listining to audio-music). Still confusing about this gauge-thing.

what gauge do i need for my speaker. And how i should know the different for each gauge, i mean in physicly. Its writen on the cable?.

And oh ya, what gauge on this cable (http://www.qed.co.uk/cables/speaker/silver.html).?? Its QED.
Thank for any advice.

Btw, this is my old thread. Maybe theres a new help-anwser in this Cable Forum-section :-)
-----
i'm a newbie here.. just bought a yamaha rxv450 and also a packed of 6.1 yamaha speaker NSP436.
I;m still using the standard speaker cable from the yamaha. My uncle said (he used 2 be a home theater freak too , told me to change the cable. The sound will tottally difference. Is it??

So i hunting down my city, (i'm in medan indonesia, quite rare for all this hifi thing).
Monster cable is too expensive, i better take it step by step, so i can really know the differences. so i found this two brand, QED(silver anniversary) and SYNERGY.. both with the same price. So any suggestion which is the good one?. both cable are quite thick. the seller said synergy is better couse it has noise canceling inside the wire. Is that true?
And one more thing. Is it really makes a lot difference is i replace my speaker cable.. thanxxx

Bronze Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 22
Henrico, It's sounds to me that your dealer is trying to feed you snakeoil. He is trying to sell you highend cables using the pseudo scientific jargon "noise canceling" in an attempt to get you to buy them. There are only four things that matter in speaker wire. These are guage,capicitance,inductance and resistance. If you are using at least 16awg keep these wires and save your money for something else. If however you feel compelled to go with thicker wire buy some 14 or 12awg "zipcord". I can promise you that zipcord and the cables you mention above will have very similar measurements with respect to capacitance, resistance and inductance, that is assuming the QED an Synergy are snake oil free and adhere to sound engineering design principles. If your dealer or anyone says that they can hear a diffrence between the QED and the Synergy and zipcord of the same guage they are lying. E.Ramsey AAS industrial electronics

Lester
Unregistered guest
Henrico,
The link below should give you a general guide line for speaker wires.
http://www.roger-russell.com/wire.htm

16awg or 14awg wire will be fine, .20 - .35 cents/foot. Some wire has the gauge written on it, some does not.
Look for online wire suppliers.

If you're not happy with the sound of your system, look at the components first... amp, speakers. If you have 24awg speaker wire, then replace it. Check for bad connections. New, big, silver plated, noise canceling speaker wire will not transform your system into anything more then it is.

Henrico
Unregistered guest
u guys mean i dont have to replace my standard cable??. Regarding my small yamaha speaker 100watt NX430P maybe hehe.. How about my subwoofer cable ??.
I'm still using the original cable from the speaker box. The standard black&red-thin cable.

well, if you guys thing if i replace the cable with QED (i quite interest in this one couse of the lots of award-winning haha), it wont make any different. I will cancel it. Couse i'm planning to buy an EQUALIZER. Maybe it helps for make an audio cd's sounds better.. any advice from ht-senior ?? :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
I would replace it if it were smaller than 16 Awg as for the sub replace it with a $20 cable which equates to an Acoustic Research entry model. The speaker wire you had in mind looks much more expensive than zipcord which is all you will need.Silver plating may in fact help conductivity but the skin effect is negligible until about 100KHz which is five times the audio bandwith! How much is this silver wire per foot anyway? E.Ramsey AAS industrial electronics

Henrico
Unregistered guest
well, i'm still not sure what gauge is my current speaker cable. Its a very standard cable, that came from the box. black&red coloured & quite thin.

QED silverwire is IDR 70.000 (around US$7.5). And for a start. Maybe i'll buy 2 meter each. Left, right, center.. How do u guys thing? is it make a big different for the sound?. Or maybe i spend my money for nothing :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
I would not buy that silver wire Henrico. For a bit less than the price of 6 meters of the silver wire you can get a 100' spool of 12Awg Sound King which is thick enough for just about any home theater setup. Check www.partsexpress.com E. Ramsey AAS industrial electronics

Henrico
Unregistered guest
thanx for all advices. finnaly.. i bought 14awg audioquest cable.. its half cheaper than QED.
well.. not bad.. the sounds like more powerfull.. the volume is gaining. i satisfied enough.
i used to listen best-audiphile-voice-vol.2 music cd's. i can listen with max volume with my older cable. but the sound is too crispy. With this new cable, the sound is quite fat haha more gain. but here's come the problem, actually its my problem haha. when i put it very loud, (lauder than i use to listen with my older cable, whether is fine for me). The vocal sound become cracked. haha..
its feel like i cannot reach the maximum power of my amp haha.
i used to be satified for the standard volume yesterday. But now. Its feel like i step-to-another-level of volume. the gaining increase is good.. but makes me want to upgrade for another pair hi-quality 100watt speaker ... Damn, this hobby always cut my wallet all the time.. hahaha
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us