Upgrade or Replace?

Silver Member
Username: Qbenjamin

Florida

Post Number: 164
My computer is running so slow as of late. I have all the spyware crap and Nortons running daily, and nothing seems to be improving. I do a weekly Defragment, and still nothing. I don't really have a lot of Programs on my computer aside from MS office components. I would like to replace or upgrade my computer. I don't even know where to start. My computer is an HP pavillion a287X; 2600 AMD Athlon XP Processor; 80GB ULtra DMA Hard Drive; CD RW drive; DVD-ROM drive; Pro Savage DDR KM266 with 32 MB of shared memory. All suggestions are appereciated.

Silver Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 108
Other than that vid card that's not too bad of a comp at all and it should be pretty quick, meaning things are wrong. Something is sapping your CPU and or/memory. Or you have a worm and or virus that has messed up your registry among other things. A few things to try.

First, run everything you normally do when it slows down and then open up task manager. Click on the processes tab and scan down the CPU column and see if anything is jumping up or using an unusually high %. Then do the same thing down the mem usage column. Norton will be up there, but that's normal. Norton is a notorious resource hog and it is not your best bet on a system like yours.

Then, run msconfig from the start/run menu. When the sys config util opens up click on the startup tab and uncheck every box. Click ok and reboot at the prompt. Now after your comp reboots try to do normal tasks and see if it is faster. Since you won't have any firewall protection or antivirus, only go to one trusted site to check your overall speed. If it isn't still lagging then go back to your msconfig and only check the vital processes, such as the ones I just mentioned. Everything else that isn't needed immediately should NOT start up. Also check to see if you have the windows firewall on. This should always be turned off, especially if you run another wall to avoid conflicts. That, and the windows firewall has never actually done anything for anyone that I know of.

Lastly, go get this program: http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=3155&file=10&evp=3304750663b552982a 8baee6434cfc13
Open it and click on 'do a system scan and save log file'. Then open up that log file and paste the contents of it in a new post. I, and others will take a look at it and see if you have anything strange going on.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us