Connecting Laptop to VCR to Record movie files (Cable/Adapter Question)

Shong
Unregistered guest
Hello,

I've been watching movies from my laptop (Dell 600m) using TV output/input (S-Video) on the laptop and the TV without any problem. Now I tried to record one of my favorite movie clip onto VHS tape by recording it to VCR.

Since my VCR doesn't have an S-Video input, I need some cable/adapter that allows to convert S-Video end to regular (yellow) video input end. Is there a such thing? If there is, where can I find them, and what are they called?

Thanks a Bunch! :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Edwarl

Melbourne, Victoria Australia.

Post Number: 27
Hi. So you are saying that you are watching on your TV, the movie (DVD?) from your laptop - your TV must have a S-Video input socket then, right ??I'm probably generations out of date now - that was my field once ! I wouldn't think your TV would have RCA yellow and white sockets out to go to your VCR.
I don't know of any "converter" apart from another different VCR with S-Video input socket !! Sorry I'm not any help. But I'm very interested in any answers, but that doesn't help you. It would be terrible, but a video camera with RCA type yellow and white plugs "looking at" the TV during replay and feeding it to your VHS tape in your VCR. That's unholy sync/quality fantasy !!. Good luck. Laurie.

lou78887
Unregistered guest
s-video to RCA is available i've seen it on a few websites, but one site claims that the "cheap chinese" copies of these cables will actually give you black and white puctures! so i'm looking for reputable brands/retailers... no luck so far

Anonymous

Hi,

I have an s-video output on my laptop and an S-video input on my tv. I hooked up the laptop to the tv-with an s-video cable and the audio wire (red and white), however, I am only able to hear audio on my tv and no video or picture can be seen. any suggestions? should i be doing something different?

pls advise
P

Anonymous

Hi,

I have an s-video output on my laptop and an S-video input on my tv. I hooked up the laptop to the tv-with an s-video cable and the audio wire (red and white), however, I am only able to hear audio on my tv and no video or picture can be seen. any suggestions? should i be doing something different?

pls advise
Rajesh

Unregistered guest
Is there any way I can transfer movies from VHS to DVD by getting a cable from my Sony VCR to my Sony VAIO Laptop please?

Anonymous

Hi, I have a camcorder (Sony) with an RCA video output and want to use the screen of a gateway 9150 laptop which has an RCA video input. how does one make such a configuragtion work? The OS of the laptop is XP Pro.

Unregistered guest
I have a laptop which has got the SVideo Jack. I need to send the output of my laptop to TV, but my tv does not have svideo jack, so I got the cable with SVideo on one end and RCA Video on other end. I have connected my laptop to TV with this cable. Now all I wanted to know is how do you see the movie on TV that is being played on laptop. I have set the channel to TV/VCR one - DO we need to press any set of key on latop to transfer the output to TV

Anonymous

Rohit, you need to toggle the video output on your laptop so that it sends the video out through the s video out port. On most toshiba latops it is Fn F5. Just hit that once or twice till you get video on the tv input that corresponds to the one you have it connected to. Usually the toggle goes through Laptop Scren only, laptop AND s video out/vga out, or no laptop video (dark screen) and s video out/vga out. Your mileage may vary. Good luck. Would like to see answers posted to these other questions - as that is what brought me here.

Anonymous

What do I do if I don't have an s-video input/output socket on my laptop?
Is there something out there that can convert an s-video cable to, perhaps, a USB cable?

loky
Unregistered guest
What do I do if I don't have an s-video input/output socket on my laptop?
Is there something out there that can convert an s-video cable to, perhaps, a USB cable?

Anonymous

I am unsure if this actually works. It may be a solution. If you try it tell us if it worked.
http://www.svideo.com/svideoscart.html

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2631
It works great if done correctly. The huge problem concerning it and this forum is that most U.S. TVs do not have a SCART input.

Username: Sstg

Post Number: 1
Hi I've got a Compaq presario laptop I've gotten a S video to RCA converter plus a one plug yellow RCA cable but I have no picture on the TV and I have tried the Fn F4 with nothing showing up and the graphic card does not seem to have any setting for it

Hopefully someone can help on this

Bronze Member
Username: Bachatero07

Post Number: 34
not all tv's are capable of accepting this conversion. not all laptops or video cards are capable of this either. if your tv has svideo in and rca video out then connect the laptop to the tv and the tv to the vcr. as for those who dont have any kind of video out on their laptop except for vga, yes, there is a such thing as an external video card which connects via USB. lastly, the best way to record to a DVD from a vcr is to get a vcr-dvd-r recorder. or connect the vcr to a computer which has a tv tuner. then you need to get a DVR type of program. then u need another program which converts the video to dvd standard. lastly you need the dvd-r to record the movie to. hopefully the video you recorded is less then 4 gigs. or you can save all that time and effort and have it done by a professional who has all the right equipment that can transfer the video without a lot of quality loss which will definetly happen if done at home. hope that helped everyone. sorry if i missed n e body.

Username: Tiberius

Hi,
I have a compaq v2000 and I'm trying to output video from my laptop to the TV, using an S-video cable, get perfect picture but no sound? Is there an audio cable that I need. The only audio output I seem to have is the headphone socket???

Silver Member
Username: Bachatero07

Post Number: 107
the s-video cable does not provide any sound. if your only output for sound is the headphone you will have to connect a wire that has a headphone jack on one end and stereo rca (red and white) jacks on the other. connect it to the tv's audio in jack for the s-video. if you are already using the headphone jack then purchase a headphone jack splitter. so that the headphones and the tv will both have the sound. all this should cost you less then 8 or 9 dollars.

Username: Big_valley

I have the same problem as others. Toshiba laptop with a S-video out that I try and use to connect to my Toshiba 72hm195 DLP HDTV. All I get is black and white wavy lines. My desktop computer with a component output shows no picture at all.

I used to connect these two computers to my older rear projection TV with out problem. But the HDTV doesn't work. Seems dumb that a 10 year old TV can work but a $5000 TV won't.

Will Powerstrip fix the problem or should I try some sort of VGA > HDMI or component cable? Are there other options?

On AVSforums.com people have stated they could use a DVI to HDMI cable with this TV but I don't have DVI. This TV does not have a VGA input.

I would prefer to get the laptop working rather than spend $500+ building a new PC with DVI.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us