D70 soft picts

Username: Vfilms

Post Number: 1
I'm looking for some help regarding my D70's inability to shoot crisp photos in low key situations.
ISO 400, F4, shutter at 125, image size large, image quality fine.
Manual and auto focus, optimize image normal, long expose NR off. Light metering is correct.
When the image is placed in Photoshop, (6x8, 300dpi) and increased to 100%, the photo looks like it was shot at ISO 1600. It is grainy and soft. Obviously the lighter areas are cleaner.
Camera problems, camera settings or operator era?
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 8260
Lens???

Post Number: 2
The lens is the Nikkor 18-70 AF-S that came with the kit.
Attached is a section of a photo of a bride's shoulder sitting on a couch at 100% in Photoshop. It is a 6x8 at 300dpi. You may not be able to see what I am talking about because of the size of the image in this post.
Thanks for your help
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 8268
What about the other parts of the picture. I can see the softness but it could also be due to your aperture...not very sharp with that lens.

Post Number: 3
Berny,
Thanks for your interest and help. Because of the constraints of the image size I was not able to post the whole photo. But the entire photo is like this, as is most of what I have recently shot in this lighting scheme. I've been shooting with just a key light and rim light. The light reading on the key allows for a wide open aperature, f4, and a shutter speed of about 125. If I add more light and close down by a couple stops I get a cleaner photo, but I loose the "feel" of what I am trying to do. Shooting in basic daylight gives me a very nice, crisp image. You mentioned lens. Is it possible that this lens does not handle low light well? If so, can you recommend a lens that will.
Thanks,

Gold Member

Post Number: 8278
No, the lens is more of a general purpose carry around lens. Not meant for low key/low light situations, specially with that aperture. If you want really sharp results at low key, you have to shell out some big bucks for a 70-200 f2.8 or the AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G IF-ED...these are very sharp lenses for a premium price. Or you can go for a 50 mm 1.8 for about a hundred bucks...your choice:-)

How long have you been doing wedding photography?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8279
If you can find a used 85mm f2.8 lens, you 'd do good to have one as well.

Another thing you can do is to increase the ISO setting up to 1000 ISO and just clean up the resulting noise if it is not tolerable.

Post Number: 4
Berny,
Thanks, again, for your input. Sharp lenses at a premium price. I knew there was a catch.
I don't do wedding photography - those guys are better men than me. I am actually a documentary filmmaker (and sometime television producer). I've dabbled in photography for a number of years and some of my clients have asked me to photograph them. Then some brides (before and after they get married) - more formal picts in controled situations. Having studied film (motion picture) in my earlier years I know enough about still photography to be dangerous - but I look to people like you for advice when my background is not enough. I also do R&R photography - attached is a CD cover I shot and produced for an Irish group.
Thanks very much for all your help. If you have any ideas on D70 settings, I'd love to hear them as well.
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 8282
Niiice!

Here are the settings that I find very useful when using the kit lens:

Optimize your settings...use sRGB for better skin tones
ia- for portraits
iiia-for landscape
Set sharpening to +2
Tone Comp - Auto
Saturation - enhanced
hue -0
White balance (this is one is a totally personal preference.)
And of course an exposure compensation of +0.3
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us