Need help with 11th hour decision

Username: Mona

Post Number: 1
Leaving Sunday for Costa Rica and would like to purchase a digital camera for a friend there. My budget is $200-$250. 'Seems' to me one of the most important criteria is one that uses standard AA batteries. While I looked at the Canon SD450 and felt my friend would really like its compactness, I am concerned if she needs to replace the lithium-ion battery. She has little money and I have no idea the cost of replacement in Costa Rica. Is this a valid concern?

If so, it brought me to the Canon A540. It appeared like a good all around camera for someone who currently does not have one. Not as compact and slick looking as the SD450, but I gather that is the trade off for AA batteries. I would buy a 512 SD card, re-charger and re-chargable batteries.

Another camera that seemed similar to the Canon A540 and a few dollars less, was the Nikon Coolpix L2.

I would appreciate opinions as what to do. Forget the battery concern and go with the SD450 or similiar that you could recommend? Be concerned with the batteries and go with the A540, L2 or similar that you could recommend? Thanks much.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7994
All excellent cameras. But if the li-ion rechargeable is your biggest concern, then you should be. But don't forget that replacement disposable batteries are going to be more expensive in the long run. Disposable batteries do not last too long in any of those cameras. And they will run out before you use or fill up one memory card. There is much more trade-offs in using disposable than a replacement li-ion battery.

The best thing to do is get 1 or 2 spare batteries and a charger. Make sure that she constantly rotates the batteries and it should last her the better of 5 years.

You cannot go wrong with any of those camera choices.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us