D70 questions

Bronze Member
Username: Impkillin

Post Number: 35
I have about a million questions that sporadically flash through my head about the d70.

First off is care. I want to keep my camera in immaculat condition and was wondring what you guys usually do to take care of your cameras. How and how often do you clean them, and how and how often do you have them serviced.

Also are there any limitations/ quality issues of using a higher iso than the 200? Obviously in the film slr types you get lower quality photos due to larger film grain(well if you are enlarging them at least). Is there any kind of fallout when using dslr?

And thirdly, firmware. What exactly is firmware, where can i download it, and how do i upload it to my d70? Does it make a difference, and is it recommended?

Thanks for taking all the time you have in helping me out!
Your friend,
Jason

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4023
As far as care is concerned, just keep it clean much like any other camera. Try to minimize lens changing to avoid getting dust on the sensor, but it will happen eventually. When changing lenses make sure that the camera is off, a charged sensor WILL attract a lot of dust. Hold the camera with the lens down when changing lenses, keeps the dust from settling in. Check with Nikon USA for servicing schedules, depends on use.

They have the same limitations on ISO. The noise is still acceptable at ISO800 and good at 1000. You could still benefit from noise reduction program.

Firmware are changes done to the internal programming of the camera, if there are known issues, you will be notified if your camera is registered with NikonUSA. With that said you need to register your camera with Nikon USA to get your firmware updates. And yes it makes a difference.

All this information is available at the Nikon USA Website and it will give you precise instructions on how to install firmware changes and they need to be followed precisely.
Have fun with your new camera

If you need to know more about the camera and your are bored with the instruction manual that came with it, get the e-book compiled by THOM HOGAN. He has a website, check it out.

Bronze Member
Username: Impkillin

Post Number: 36
So I have been shooting alot. I am probably going to buy a tripod and sb-600 soon. Then I am going to buy myself an early christmas present. I was looking into possible lenses I would like. I want badly a macro, telephoto, and a fixed 50. I will probably go for the cheap 70-300 nikon for the tele, or maybe a max 200 lense. Not decided as of yet. Also For the macro lense I saw this: http://www.keh.com/shop/SHOWPRODUCT.CFM?CRID=12215478&SKID=NA07999065525N5&SID=n ewused&BID=NA&CID=07&SOID=N&curpic=0&dpsp=0
I am a little amiss as to whether this would fit my d70? And what the quality would be? Any suggestions as to an affordable close up lense? Maybe a fixed length would be better? Zoom is definitely not a must for me in the macro dept. Unless there may be some other reasons for one besides having to move yourself? For the fixed lense I am gonna go with the 50mm 1.8. What do you think? I have also put up some pieces of work at:
http://impkillin.deviantart.com/
These are just me messin around, trying to get the hang of the camera. Let me know what you think ; )

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 218
Wow that must be an old lens. I can't find anything to verify that it will work, but assuming it's a relatively recent Nikkor, I would think it should work. It's rather slow, so you will need goo light to use it. A 50/1.8 prime is an excellent lens--it will end up being equivalent to about a 75mm on a film camera.

For tripods, look to get a good one, preferably with a ball head unless you have specific reasons for anything else. IIRC, Thom has an excellent article on buying tripods.

Good start. That flash will be a very good addition, several of the golf shots could have used fill. The first couple can use more contrast (play with curves in PS & watch those two come alive).

Gold Member

Post Number: 4102
That lens will fit your D70 but I will not be inclined to purchase it as it will not perform any better than your kit lens.

Bronze Member
Username: Vlkers7171

Downers Grove, Illinois Usa

Post Number: 26
berny...is the SB800 flash compatible with D70 or just the SB600 flash?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4105
yes it is compatible.

Bronze Member
Username: Vlkers7171

Downers Grove, Illinois Usa

Post Number: 27
ok...thanks....and tomorrow...I buy 800...WOO HOO

Gold Member

Post Number: 4107
One of the best speedlights you'll ever own for your Nikon. Make sure that you look at the mini manual and the creative lighting system. Brilliant stuff.

Kennith
Unregistered guest
I am going to buy myself 3 things for christmas for my d70. An sb600 a zoom lense, and a macro lense. I am looking for a 200 max mm for the zoom i dont think any more would be necessary for my d70. And I'm not sure what for the macro. I havent done any real macro work before so I'm not sure... probably a fixed mm something simple. For both of these I'd like to go second party... I.e. sigma, tokina,tamron, etc. I have an overall budget for the 2 lenses(not including sb600... I wish i could get all three for that cheap, hehe). Any sugestions? Nikon would of course be alright, but i dont see it happening in my price range, I dont even know if my max is even realistic. I am purely an amateur, so nothing amazing is necessary, but of decent quality is. Any suggestions? Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 4220
What is your budget?
And why do you want to get into macro work?

Unregistered guest
Kennith - I have a sigma 70-300mm D - it can also be used as a macro lens. (200mm is not sufficient for wildlife)

I used the lens to shoot wildlife and flowers in Africa and i got some beautiful shots. i did my best to stay still or find a support when near the 300mm range. But, contrary to my expectation the pictures taken with a steady hand were not blurred (I did not carry a tripod). I did have to retake a few when i checked the LCD and found that I had moved while taking the picture.

The lens is fairly compact and not too heavy for its range. One drawback is the higher aperture required (however, this can compensated somewhat by increasing the ISO to 800). Unless one spends a lot more money to buy a top of the line lens, this is one of the give and take one needs to take in consideration.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4295
Check this out. One of the better offerings from sigma for macro shots.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3253&navigator=5

It is difficult to make recommendations without a budget...

With taronger's recommendation, you now have 2 lenses in one.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us