Setup question

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Post Number: 637
Ok, I might be getting a set of Alpine Type R components. I currently have 4 Pioneer 3 ways powered by just a Pioneer premier HU. The HU has a max draw of 10 amps. I was wondering, if I got the set of components, took out all of the rear speakers and installed a Kicker 100.2 (50rmsX2) amp in my car, if that would be as loud or louder than my current setup while gaining a TON of SQ. I am ALMOST pushing my charging system to the limits, though ,with my Kicker 450.2 amp for my subs but do you think that I could get by with just that amp and not having the HU amp turned on?

Silver Member

Post Number: 638
It has a 15 amp fuse so I think that would be just fine.
So would the SQ improve drasticlly over the HU and would the SPL improve at all?
Also, can you disable the HU's internal amplifier pretty easily?

Bronze Member
Username: Nutty91rs

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 27
Even if you don't get the components get the amp, you won't regret it. It shouldn't draw alot more from your charging system and if it does upgrade it. Speakers ran off the HU SUCK even the more powerful units like that Pioneer.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3976
You'll definitely notice a difference going from the headunit and an amp. Headunits have small internal amps, and aren't really meant to run a good component set.

Silver Member

Post Number: 639
Or I might even get the 150.2

Bronze Member

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 28
If the HU's speaker wires have no load on them they won't draw power.

Silver Member

Post Number: 640
Worth adding a 5 amp more draw to get a cleaner stronger signal? And would it be noticable to run that 100.2 to a set of Alpine components? Would that be a pretty solid setup to compliment my 450.2 and 2 RE12's sealed?

Bronze Member

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 34
absolutly it would be worth it, if you have the money go for it, and if there's not a really big difference in price I say go for the 150.2. As for how well it will compliment the 450.2 on the RE12's I can garuntee it will compliment them better than what you have now, but I can't say how well because I've never heard the RE's.

Silver Member

Post Number: 641
only thing is the 150.2 draws 25 amps compared to 15 from the 100.2. I will consider the 150.2 if possible but here is my situation. Stock alt/battery etc. 4 gauge running from the battery to a the kicker (450rmsX1). It has 2 30 amp fuses on it. My HU has a 10 amp fuse. My alternator is only 85 amps so... If I crank everything to the max the lights dim a decent amount but anything short of max and they hardly do a thing.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3980
Don't crank it untill you can afford a high output alternator - which is what you should have put in before you even got a system. You didn't know then though, so it's not your fault :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 643
I figure adding 5 more amps isn't going to hurt a thing. The voltage doesn't drop dangerously low (as metered by the local audio shop). They said no matter how high I run it with the stuff I have it won't hurt a thing. I sure hope...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us