8" threeway vs. 6x9" threeway car audio speakers

Username: Yogiysh

Sydney, New south wales Australia

Post Number: 1
Can anyone please advise on a choosing between 8" 3ways vs. 6x9 3ways to be installed on the back shelf of my 1972 merc 280se. The car audio dealer is advising to go for the 8" as apparently they give a more superior sound than the 6x9" ...

I can only install two speakers in the back shelf as I'm trying not to ruin a vintage car. They came out with 4" but the previous owner has cut the shelf to accomodate 6" so accomodating 8s or 6x9s doesn't seem to compromise it more to get superior sound.

My strategy is in two stages - install good 3ways with a powerful suitable amp and then test the quality of the sound, keeping in mind of the enormous boot of the Merc.
Then if I'm not getting enough bass then swap the amp into a multichannel one to cater for a sub and box.

The dealer is pushing for a brand that's not known here in OZ - Ultimate.
The speaker is the ps8940 and amp either t3 2160 or t3 4320 or upper range ta2160 or ta4320.

I haven't shopped for a 12" sub and box yet...

I've tried to find reviews on these components but with no luck.

Looking forward to the discission.

Cheers,

Ysmael

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1749
Ultimate isn't that good honestly, and for your situation, if you have front components, you're best off with either 8" subs or 6" midbasses in the package tray, with no midrange or tweeters.

Post Number: 2
Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately to install front components(which I would dearly luv) I'll have to cut into the door panels - which detracts from trying to keep the vintage merc in it's original state. There is no space on the dash and very little space in the footwells but not impossible to install custom built boxes depending on how much space components need.

Should I just keep away from Ultimate and look at other common brands on the market like JBL, Kenwood, Pioneer etc?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1792
Yeah, I suggest you look into better brands, just depends on your budget. Don't recommend Kenwood at all, Pioneer speakers aren't that great either. I believe you can make kicks that will fit at least 5 1/4 components in that Mercedes. I believe this is your car, I found a pic with online of one in with I believe 4" speaks in kick panels, and you can see how much room is still left. Upload I believe you might even be able to do 6.5" if you're willing to custom make some or have them custom made. Much better than trying 3 ways in the back. Then you could also put 8" infinite baffle subs in the rear deck of the car, for a balanced sound and minimal loss of space. Just tossing around ideas. If you want good bass and don't want to do the kick panels and solely want to do rear speakers, then either an 8" 2 way component set (such as the Dynaudio 260) or an 8" 3 way set would work, but it'd be hard to fit. You could also consider putting components in the center console area, although it wouldn't be great for stereo seperation, it would be better than having speakers in the rear, and wouldn't be hard to build at all.

Post Number: 3
Hi Jonathan,

Yep, this exactly is what the interior looks like except mine is burgundy...

Thanks for the great advice, I'll try the custom option first since this will provide the best sound. Having said this I have measured the fit of an 8" 3way on the rear deck and fits with no problems with out the use of spacers(just a little more cutting). Like I mentioned before the previous owners already cut into the panel.
Then my next challenge is to find good speakers and amps here in Sydney. All I have seen are the common brand names I have mentioned.

Thanks again, I'll keep you posted...

Cheers,

ysmael
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us