(OT) Vehicle VIN search??

Gold Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 1344
hopefully this only posts up once...as the 1st thread never popped up.

Anyways,

Me and my girlfriend are looking at buying a used vehicle. We know it has been in once accident but it still has 4yr warranty on it and 22,000km.

Is there any way to get a truley "free" VIN search as I have looked everywhere and most of the sites seem shoddy and I don't want to give out $60 to a bogus site.

Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Gignmofo

Post Number: 31
The really only true one is carfax. However they don't have information if the state doesn't require it, as in Illinois, for many types of damage.

Chances are if you know it has been in a wreck... pass on it. You can find a just a good of deal without the risk.

Peace and Good Luck

Gold Member

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 1345
The vehicle damage was pretty small, as I have the papers in front of me. All prices are listed in Canadain prices, and our cars are still priced stupid high when compared to the US. Most new cars are around $10,000 cheaper in the US....:-(

It's a 2006 Suzuki Aerio with 22,00km on it, 4 yrs warranty or 78,000 clicks left (anythinig goes wrong brand new parts are installed and if there is some huge write off you get MSRP value and not book value) and life time oil, lube and filter changes for free as the lady paid $500 extra for this service.

She is asking $13,000 for the car and I know I can get her down to around $11,500.

The same car in an 04 model with WAY more mileage are prices around $14,000 and the 06's start around $16,000 and finding out the history of those ones will be harder as this lady has been amazinng in telling us everything.

Plus the ride is more for my GF as I have my stereo car allready, lol.

Just some more info on it

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5118
Well what sort of info are you looking for?

Carfax will tell you if it's been in an accident assuming it was reported to police, how many times it has been titled (number of owners since new), stuff like that.

When I was shopping for vehicles I purchased a month of carfax service, it was well worth it.

Gold Member

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 1346
Is it all the same when in Canada versus the States?

I suppose I can just take the car to the dealer and get them to look it over, that's like $100.

Bronze Member
Username: Gignmofo

Post Number: 38
Thats your best bet
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us