Go Video Rave-MP ARC 2.5 Sad Face and Bug

Username: Geishaslave

Post Number: 1
Hello and thanks for reading this.

I have the Go Video Rave-MP ARC 2.5:

-Seagate ST1 model ST625211CF microdrive, firmware version 3.04, 2.5GB.
-Sigmatel STMP3550B controller (same as Apple iPod shuffle).
-Samsung K4S281632F-TC75 flash ROM.

Does anyone know how to upgrade the microdrive from 2.5GB to 5GB?

I have dropped the ARC 2.5 twice since I have owned it. The first
time, it was playing an MP3 and there was no interruption in
playback-- sweet! The second time I dropped it, the unit was not even
powered on. When I tried to use the ARC, it displayed a sad face and a
bug icon on the LCD.

GoVideo tech support told me the battery was dead. So I plugged in the
AC adapter, but still got the sad face and bug. I plugged in the USB
cable, but still got the sad face and bug.

Next I disassembled the unit and removed the Seagate ST1 microdrive. I
plugged the ST1 into a CF card reader and determined that the drive
was damaged. I could not find any 2.5GB Seagate ST1 drives, but there
were plenty of the 5GB size available. I acquired a 5GB Seagate ST1
with the same firmware version, plugged it into the ARC, but still get
the sad face and bug.

Is there damage to components on the IC board? Did GoVideo make it so
that the 2.5GB and 5GB midrodrives can not simply be switched? Go Video Rave-MP also has an ARC 5 model with a 5GB microdrive on board.

TIA

Username: Ac_dc

Hello,
Unfortunately Go-Video never upgraded their firmware on the ARC2.5 and ARC5.0, and has never posted a download to upgrade or reinstall the firmware.
There is only one way to remedy this, you have to image the contents of a good drive from an ARC2.5 or 5.0 to another 'Microdrive'. I have done this many times, as early as this a.m., installed the image to Seagates newest 8gb ST1. I would suggest formatting the new drive FAT32 with a single partition first, not Seagate's standard 4 partition format. Done in dos mode, you need a couple CF/IDE converters and whichever program you are comfortable with to image the new drive. I have never done this in XP or using USB. Good luck, or let me know if you need someone to image the drive for you.

Unregistered guest
I got the sad face and the little bug in my rave too, but no one here have another one (I live in ecuador, south america)
Can you help me sending me the hard drive image? the microdrive is ok, i tested the microdrive using a USB card reader and it works fine..

I hope you can help me, because i dont want to waste the mp3 player.

i will wait for your answer

Unregistered guest
the same thing happened to me and i have a 5GB...
im sorry but i have no idea what you guys are talking about with the ST1 or FAT32, etc.

is there any way for me to at least know the songs i had in my mp3 player even though the player itself is damaged now?

thanks so much

Anonymous

i too have the sad face and a bug on the screen.. my friend plugged-in Rave player via the DC charger on a 240V power socket (in india) insead of a 120V power supply. Ever since, im getting the BUG on my screen.. Does it mean that the player is damanged or can it be fixed?

Please help. "rambrijesh(at)gmail"
-Thanks in advance.

Fingerpir
Unregistered guest
I dropped mine and also got the Bug. Called Go Video and they said it was the battery. They RMA'd it for me and had me send in the unit only no accessories. They then sent me back a brand new unit with all of the accessories plus they sent me a pretty nice set of full size pro style headphones (as a bonus I guess). So ended up with 2 chargers, 2 USB cables, 2 Arm bands etc.. Any way they were very nice and fast with the RMA, took a little under 2 weeks from the day I sent the old unit off. I of course did not tell them that I had dropped the unit. The really nice part is the display was very scratched up as I had been keeping the unit in my pocket (which I will not do again) so it resolved that issue also.

Username: Zwhitr

Terry

or any body else have a good image so I can re image my drive arc 2.5

I'll host an FTP:\----If we agree

z

Post Number: 5
Terry

Any word on the image yet

Post Number: 7
I lost contact with terry

Need good image anyone...

Username: Achueco

Buenos airesArgentina

Post Number: 2
Hi:
Does anybody know which AC/DC Charger use the Rave ARC 5.0? I've lost mine and I need to replace it. Only the generic stuffs Volts & Wattios .Thanks

Buenos airesArgentina

Post Number: 3
Hi:
Does anybody know which AC/DC Charger use the Rave ARC 5.0? I've lost mine and I need to replace it. Only the generic stuffs Volts & Wattios .Thanks

Buenos airesArgentina

Post Number: 4
Hi:

Silver Member
Username: Geeker

Post Number: 113
I have the 5 gb one and the only issue i have had besides sub par audio quality is that the listing of tracks doesn't go straight through an album it jumps to diffrent songs, kinda sucks but oh well, the power adapter is 4.5V DC 600mA the little polarity picture is (-)-(*-(+) the model # on mine is NK41U-4.5-600, i have a car adapter that wasn't working but i am going to look again cause i might have set it to 3.3, if that isn't it then just not enough amps?
good day.

Username: Sina94

Same "error message" here. So, is it the hard drive instead of the battery as GoVideo support suggests? And in that case, would the hard drive need to be replaced, or is it just that the firmware has been corrupted, etc.? And, to top it off... is there any alternative to the original firmware... like Rockbox for the iPod? Thanks...

Username: Schrenia

Texas

I'm trying to find out what kind of charger I need for ours. BOTH of the kids have lost their charger for these. I can pick up a generic at Radio Shack, but need to know what current? 1.5, 3, 4.5, etc? There's nothing on the website OR in the manual about it. (It's the arc2.5 that we have). Is it going to be the same 4.5 mentioned above for the arc5.0?

Yes, it's the same adapter for both the 2.5 and 5.0:

Class 2 Power Supply
Input: 120V AC 60Hz 5W
Output: 4.5V DC 600mA

Texas

okay - so looking at the adapter I have here, it's a 300mA - so that won't work? And for purchasing another one, does the player need a negative or a positive polarity? (it says if it's marked with a minus, then a solid, then a plus to do it one way, or if it's a plus, then a solid, then a minus to do it a different way?) It's NOT supposed to be this complicated ~sigh~

The charger shows a minus, solid, then plus. And as far as it only being 300mA... I don't believe it will hurt anything. The only problems I see there being are... A)It won't charge because there's not enough power, or B) It will take longer to charge because it's not getting enough juice.

Of course... I'm no electronics expert... but that's my honest guess, and I haven't managed to damage anything yet.

I finally broke down and got a new mp3 player to hold me over until I can get what I really want. I got the RCA Lyra 2011. It doesn't have as much space as I'd like (128MB internal, and 512MB external SD card)... but at least it's music.

I would still like to return my Arc 2.5 to working condition if that were possible though. If all else fails, I'll get a CF reader and salvage the hard drive at least (unless that's what's wrong with it).

Texas

I'll give it a go, then (crossing fingers)

We LOVE our RCA Lyra's (we have two different models - one has 128 internal, the other has 512 internal - one of them is cranky with using an SD card and the other is fine with it) - the oldest two kids had those and we passed them down to the younger ones and bought the older two these Arc players. I did purchase the extended warranties through CompUSA, and have taken one back already on the warranty and had it replaced. I'm planning on popping in sometime soon to see if they've sold their stock in them, though, and see about utilizing the replacement warranty towards a different brand.

I use the ilo from wal-mart as MY mp3 player and haven't had any problems with it. It's a full gig internally and will take a gig SD card for expansion. I definitely have nothing but praise for the RCA Lyras and the iLo. The Virgin Pulse we have is okay - it still functions with an 8 year old as its owner, but it's not the simplest player to load, so we tend to just put the music on the memory card and bypass the software issue.

These Rave Arc's just chap my tail, though. I don't know that I'll ever buy another player that needs to be recharged, and I'll CERTAINLY never buy one of these Arc players.

Username: Elcid44

Does anyone have the image of the drive?
Thanks!
Chris

Username: Sam5400

Hi,

I have a ARC5.0 with the same problem, the sad face and the bug. The microdrive is making the typcal noise of a damaged hard drive.
I've tried to put a 128Mb Compact Flash and, of course.. i've got the same error..
The Samsung K4S281632F-TC75 is a SDRAM, not a Flash ROM.
The ARC5.0 have a ATMEL 24C64. It's a 64Kbits (8 Kbytes) Serial EEPROM.
I think that this EEPROM have a small bootloader code that loads all the firmware from the Microdrive.
I've found a way to put the player in Recovery Mode.
First, you have to connect the player to the usb, and then press the RESET, 3 or 4 times very quickly. You will get a black screen on the player and the computer will detect the usb device as a SMTP3500. It's a typical recovery mode of the Sigmatel SMTP3500.
I've tried the recovery software from the RAVE ILO/AMP model but it doesn't works properly. It detects the device, transfers the usbmsc.sb file and then the computer detects a removable drive that is impossible to access...

Username: Preinoso

it seems to be impossible to upload any firmware in the arc 5.0. If somebody can do a image of the microdrive, i think i will help us a los. i somebody send me the image, i can upload it to a server, so we all we can download and use it :-)

Hi,
Terry Ferguson has sent me the images files for both 5.0 and 2.5 version. I've tried with a 128 Mb Compact Flash, and works great!

I've made a little web page with the files and a small tutorial to share the images with everybody. But I Can't find a free server to host it, because each file have a size of 35 Mb. (compressed).
I need a 100 Mb free web hosting with support of large files.
If someone can help me with this, I will publish that page for everybody.. (actually is on my local hard disk)

Post Number: 5
let me see what can i do. 100MB is a whole lot of space lol. I got a server in my office, but the upload bandwidth is not so high (i think its 128kbps) so downloading that file will take forever.

Anyways. if you send me by email the 5.0 image, it will help a lot. if you can, send it to "saohosting at runbox dot com"
how did you put the images on the CF card? using norton ghost or something like that?

Post Number: 6
finally, thanks to santiago, i got the images, copy to the hard drive and the mp3 is playing again :-)
if you want to download them, there are in
http://www.saohosting.com/pato

please dont download all files, only the image that you need, because i have very limited bandwidth in my server, and my work website is running there

Post Number: 8
Here are the files at rapidshare --free hosting up to 100 MB.

Have fun and keep downloading to keep links alive

zwhitr

Your file ravemp25.zip (40025 KB) is now online.
Your Download-Link: http://rapidshare.de/files/28625629/ravemp25.zip.html

Your file ravemp50.zip (35366 KB) is now online.
Your Download-Link: http://rapidshare.de/files/28629755/ravemp50.zip.html

Post Number: 7
I get an 4GB ipod nano, so i give the good old rave arc 5 to my brother... luckly i can revive it if it dies again, and i think i will order a 4GB CF card, to get a long lasting battery

Username: Ansico

Please help. I downloaded the rapidshare mp25 file above. What do I do next. I'm really dumb about this part of things, so I would really appreaciate instruction steps. If you don't want to post it here, you can email me directly at ansico@hotmail.com
Thank you,

Post Number: 8
My webmaster deleted the files because i exceded the monthly bandwidth transfer of my website :S I dont know if santiago can post here the commands to transfer the hard drive image to the microdrive. I did it using ubuntu linux (it can run from a cdrom, without messing up windows files), and using a usb card reader for the microdrive.
My rave is running great, my brother is using it because i buy a 30GB ipod video hehehehe.

Username: Dbenz

I am in the same boat. Got the image, but need to know what next? Windows, Knoppix, etc. instructions would be great. Heck, file types/formats for the images would be a start...

Thanks

Hi everybody! The images files are in "raw" format.
They are a dump of the microdrive generated by de linux 'dd' command.
I'm attaching a .zip files with a tutorial on how to write the images under linux.

Good Luck!

application/x-zip-compressedUpload
rave-tutorial.zip (44.5 k)

Post Number: 9
http://zwhitr.googlepages.com/home
Here is a tutorial with some screen shots I did of a windows based raw image writing program called HxD http://www.mh-nexus.de/

Hello All,
A long time, I was glad to see the image posted and a tutorial. Sorry for the lost contact, Zwhitr... but as Santiago mentioned I was able to dd the image and upload to him. I was pleased to see he followed thru along with help from Zwhitr to post the images.
Are they still active? Sorry, but I have been out of the loop. Happy Holidays to everyone, hope this helped a few revive their ARCs. Cheers, Ter'

Hi again,
I should have checked zwhitr's links. The 2.5 image is still up, the 5.0 is down due to inactivity.
HINT: If you download the 2.5 image to any size larger MD, (at time of post, 8gb is the largest I have tried, the largest available) once you get it configured in your player, you can hook up the player to your pc, and format the drive WHILE IT IS IN THE RAVEMP PLAYER, and you will have full access to the limit of the drive's capacity, and your storage information will show the correct size of the drive you installed. Sorry if this info is in the tutorial, I have not had a chance to read it. Ter'

Username: Ricardo_dawkins

I think this image doesnt work.

I followed zwhitr Windows tutorial. The 3 partitions are created but the OS cant format the FAT32 partitios. It just tries and format the 16MB FAT Partition.

BTW, the image file doesn't activate the FAT32 partition. how i can format the FAT32 partition and activate it ?

Username: Ricardo_dawkins

solved...my situation. Looks like the 2.5 and 5GB version use diferent partition and directory structure.

I have the 5GB Rave ARC. I formated the drive fully. One partition. FAT32 file system.

The 2.5GB image was creating more cylinders than the actual 5GB have after using the dd comand as per tutorial.

I did a fdisk to delete the 3 partitions. Createa a 4.6GB or so one with FAT32 file system

Formate with mkfs.vfat -F 32 /dev/sda -I

All this done under Knoppix Linux version 5

Username: Quatermass

Can anyone host the image file for the Rave MP 2.5 GB
model for a short time? zwhitr's images are no longer there.

Mine just died after 92 days of ownership. I bought it on clearance sale, but I still feel like I got ripped off. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Username: Gnewcomer

Could someone direct me to the 5.0 image?

Username: Ladaubilis

im looking for the 2.5 image thanks

Post Number: 10
Here is the image file

http://rapidshare.com/files/26149216/ravemp25.zip

also I have updated tutorial links

Thanks! Worked like a charm on the 2GB compact flash card I bought.
I did do something incredibly stupid which should serve as a reminder to others to follow directions. I had a thumbdrive plugged into the usb port and the CF card plugged into a reader. Without thinking, pasted the image to "removable drive 1" which was my thumbdrive. I noticed the light on it was flashing and let out a big D'OHH! but alas it was too late. There were a couple of files I got from a customer that I didn't have backed up anywhere else. Live and learn. It's great to have my mp3 player back though.

Thanks to everyone who posted these solutions!

Username: Homer32

Monore, MI USA

Hey zwhitr, thanks for the website and the zip file/Instructions. Unfortunatly, all is not well. I tested the file on a 2 GB flash card...worked perfect! However, since Terry mentioned above it would work with a 8 GB card I bought one and did the exact same thing and get the sad face and bug. I put in the 2 GB and it works fine. Is the file you provide only work with 2 GB or less?

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Any response is appreciated.

Thanks, Paul

Username: Geishaslave

Thanks for all the responses and resources. This is the spirit of the 'net.

FYI:
I successfully replaced a defective Seagate 2.5GB microdrive with a Sandisk Ultra II 2GB type 1 CF.

I used the Windows method at zwhitr's site (see link above).

It may just be my imagination, but it seems to work better with the CF card (the cheapest one I could find). It seems a little more responsive and the resume function actually resumes at the correct spot in very long files, which it never did before. Plus the battery seems to last forever. It seems like CompactFlash would be less prone to failure than a Micro-Hard Drive. I wonder why they didn't use CF in the first place.

Paul: I haven't tried it with anything larger than 2GB, but I might consider expanding the capacity later if I can, so I'm interested in your experience. Terry mentioned that the drive had to be formatted while in the player. Is that what you tried?

MI USA

Hi Chris: I agree with you on the player working better. It seems much more responsive with the CF card.
Not to get overly wordy, here is what I did with the 8 GB card with no success. I first applied the image exactly like the directions zwritr created. Installed the drive, got the sadface/bug. I could not access the drive from the player in this state. I saved the original image from the 8 GB card before copying the ravemp25 image to it(very wise move for those of you that are going to attempt this) the HxD program makes this simple. It takes awhile to do but well worth it. Anyway, I restored the 8GB card back to its original image and was able to make it readable once again (very cool) by the PC.
My next attempt I formatted the drive using Fat 32 first as suggested earlier, then tried to place the image once again. No success, sadface/bug. With the sadface/bug the card is not accessible by the PC even if installed in the rave. In fact, you cannot read it with a card reader in windows, but it is readable by HxD so you can restore it to how it was when received. It may work with the Ravemp50 image, I am not sure. I emailed both Terry and zwhitr for the 5.0 image, but have yet to receive a response.

If anyone else has it please contact me as I would like to try to increase my storage capacity.

Chris, if there is anything else you would like to know let me know.

Thanks to all,
Regards,
Paul

Username: W1jrm

does anyone have a walkthur to redo the image in windows, and if the usb cord will charge the player

zwhitr has a Windows page and downloadable pdf that I used. it's mentioned about 14 posts back, but here is the link:

http://zwhitr.googlepages.com/theravepart2

You'll need to get the free HXD program which is linked on his site.

The USB cord does not charge the player, at least on mine (2.5 GB version).

Username: W1jrm

ok here is a new one, when i turn on my Rave MP ARC 5.0 i get error 257
line 865
is there a way to format the microdisk and put it all back to orig so i can start uploading file to it, i guess i need the 5.0 imagie corret. well someone I hope out there can help me
thanks again

Username: Broome

Hi. Does anyone know what kind of battery to put in the mp3 rave. Mine is giving out. As far as I can figure out an ipod mini battery will work, but they have red, black and white wires while the mp3 rave only has a red and a black. I don't want to blow it up. I really like the player and just want it to work. I alos don't know the amperage of the mp3rave battery.
By the way I can't wait to try putting in a compact flash
thanks Broome Spiro

Username: Ken2400

I too have a Rave mp with 2.5 gigs. Lost power supply. I the center tip + or -.

Thanks
Ken

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
center tip is positive

Username: Ken2400

thanks zwhitr. I have the logo showing up and it makes a wherring noise like the 2.5 gig seagate drive is bad. Can it be replace?

Thanks

MI USA

Ken, yes the drive can be replaced. Please read the posts above and follow the link to zwhitr's site. One thing to note is the card you use. I tried a cheap brand card and had no luck (A-Data). The one that worked perfect was a Sandisk. If you need further help please post your question.

Username: Alan_r

I have replaced the 2.5 with a larger drive. Using a cf card reader & linux. I couldnt do it with the drive in the rave. The command I used was
dd if=ravemp25 of=/dev/sda. This will put the image on the drive, if other than sda adjust for it. Once the image is on the drive, Do not disconnect yet! Use fdisk delete partition 3 and write it to the drive. Then use fdisk again and create a fat 32 partition 3. Write it to the disk and exit fdisk. Do not disconnect yet. Format partition 3 with mkdosfs -F 32 /dev/sda3 After this then disconnect and put the drive into the rave and it should work ok. All you will see with the drive in the player is sda. Which is actually partition 3. Mount it, and add music. I have done this to over 10 players and it works. For some reason when the rave image is written to the drive, the partition 3 is incorrect. This is why you need to use fdisk. Alan

Username: Bubdedoh

I'm looking for the image for the 5.0 gig version. The only links that work are for the 2.5. Does anyone have the 5.0 image?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us