Router help

Silver Member
Username: Vndpatel

Post Number: 214
i have DSL but i am getting cable internet next month. I want to know do i need to buy a cable router or will my existing DSL router work with the cable internet?

Silver Member
Username: Donnie1973

Post Number: 678
have to get a cable modem. where would you plug in the coax cable??

Silver Member
Username: Vndpatel

Post Number: 220
ya true

Silver Member
Username: Wojopro

Summerville, SC

Post Number: 314
Woah, Your talking about different things. Router is the same for both. Modem is the only thing that would different and your IP usually provides it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 689
you know what he was talking about. At least I did. And the router is IN the dsl/cable modem. So, it IS a cable router/dsl router. And yes, your ISP will provide you with a $30 router for $75.

Silver Member

Summerville, SC

Post Number: 316
Wow, Not always true... 90% of the modems out there dont have router capabilities... They are strictly a modem. Yes you can buy a modem with a built in router. A lot of ISP's have package deals which provide a free modem. Some actually require you to use there modem. I agree fully that they are not that great of modems but they will work. For most people they provide is sufficient.

Silver Member

Post Number: 690
I havent seen any that require you to use theirs. They want people to use theirs. either buy or rent. They make more if you rent of course. And most dsl modems are routers. I havent seen one that wasnt in a few years. They most all give out DHCP

Silver Member

Summerville, SC

Post Number: 317
Every DSL one I ever had didn't have a built in router same with cable. Verizon requires you to have specific modems made for them. Yup, All about the cash. Some smaller ISP's also require you to use their modem also. Either by renting or buying it.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7331452&type=product&id=1126591859 340

DSL Modem without router on bestbuy.

Silver Member

Post Number: 691
I looked up my westell 6100 moedem, it doesnt say it is a router either. But it is. Its common.
I have Frontier communications DSL. Very small. 2 miles down the road, they have bell south. They are twice as cheap as mine. They were trying to tell me I needed their modem. I said no way, I will give you the MAC address from it and you can add it. They say OK.

Silver Member

Summerville, SC

Post Number: 318
Thats good they did that for you... I used to live in a really small town and the one ISP they had made it a requirement to use theirs. Didn't ask if I could give the MAC address though. Could of worked. Good idea though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us