Buying new laptop Need help

Bronze Member
Username: Parranda

Post Number: 26
Hey guys. i'm looking for a new laptop. i want to try to get the most i can for about $850. i saw some toshiba's on craigsli_st and on ebay. i also see dell has some good prices lately. Are the Dells good or should i stay away from them. i've heard conflicting reviews. thanks in advance.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 8557
Unless you are a hardcore tester and evaluator of computers and all you do is work with computers all the time, those reviews should be taken with a grain of salt. Dell can provide you with a computer that is useful for what you need it to do.

Username: Nd4spd18

Post Number: 10
I have owned two dell laptops and have never had a problem with either one. If you do decide to buy a dell, be sure to check out this site:

http://www.edealinfo.com/dell/

Gold Member

Post Number: 8605
this article will put Dell in such a bad light.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32550

http://www.nytimes.com/glogin?URI=http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/10/technology/1 0dell.html&OQ=_rQ3D1&OP=c55cc9bQ2F.URQ5C.Q23Q20LiDQ20Q20oQ26.Q26VVb.VQ2F.zV.oRL5 nQ20JQ20Q5Ew.zVQ23RJJ)5oQ27J

Bronze Member
Username: Sjain80

Post Number: 13
wow.. that article is really something..but truth be told too...dell does have good computers and there deals are really good..thanks a lot for the article berny..I guess nothing is perfect..I have to rethink about buying dell even it's for 5 minutes...

Gold Member

Post Number: 8613
LOL! That is some publicity that Dell does not need.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3406
I'm not a fan of Dell either! They use EXTREMELY cheap parts-mostly the motherboards. Horrible customer service and TONS of unnecessary proprietary parts and software.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
what laptop do you recommend? for around 850 to 900

Bronze Member
Username: Scherrman

Post Number: 20
Anyone have any recommendations on a good gaming computer.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8641
Alienware

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3437
Toshiba P105-S921

http://cgi.ebay.com/Toshiba-Satellite-P105-S921-1-83gz-1GB-100GB-17-WXGA_W0QQite mZ280008380551QQihZ018QQcategoryZ80215QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Excessively nice laptop (gaming or not) for a wonderful price.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
yes it sounds like a nice pc, but too deep for my pockets. any others

Username: Samething

Post Number: 1
i recommend AVERATEC, there main competition is sony but there prices are half the price what sony is asking for the same features.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3454
First of all, Sony is pretty bad, Averatec is trash.

Don't expect Averatec to last long, and when it breaks on you, good luck finding parts or a technician willing to work on it. Customer service? Nonexistant. I still don't understand why people buy trashy brands like Averatec, PCLaptops, ARM etc. They're cheap for a reason people! They're trash! When it breaks down, throw it away! It's not worth repairing! They're throwaway computers!

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3455
Parranda, what's your budget? 1100 for a gaming laptop like that is a wonderful price.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
i'm not looking for a gaming laptop. i need it to do some major programing in VB and test retail applications that i build, as well as a lot of graphics and web developing. any suggestion. i would like to get the best i can for $900. thank you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
anyone with any further recommendation, i'm still looking thanks in advance

Gold Member

Post Number: 9217
Not for $900 and the requirements you need. That is quite a tall order.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3843
I think a Toshiba would work nicely...

By the way, Berny, do you have a Mac?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9251
I use it for photo and video editing. I have 5 networked PCs at home and a lone MAC. The only computer that haven't crashed or needs restoring.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3847
What model is it? And it's a desktop or laptop?

Bronze Member
Username: Rtyauch301

Post Number: 11
hp is what iv had the best luck with their great on their warrentys 2 dont get a dell stay away hard 2 upgrade even ram

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
HP Pavilion DV5000 Series
http://www.shopping.hp.com

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
do a custom order you can get 128 mb nvidia graphics 1.60 ghz core 2 duo 1gig of ram and an 80gig hd wireless xp media center edition ofr a little over 900

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4097
You couldn't pay me to use an HP. Ask anyone with experience with extensive experience with laptops and you'll hear something to the effect of "HP is trash." :-)

Poorly built, minimal software, heavy/thick.

Trash.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
my hp has run great for 3 years now no major problems at least it dont catch fire like dells are now

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4101
Dell's have defective batteries and there's no doubt they're waaay below HP in their build quality lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9627
The Dell's battery was manufactured by Sony.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4110
Even better! Most laptops really aren't built well for the price you pay. I think it's ridiculous to pay 500-2000$ for a laptop...they could easily be priced down to 100-900 for how poorly some are made.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
yea but hp is still a good deal if u dont have the money for a lowend falcon NW or voodoo alienware being bought out by dell and all just killed them

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4117
HP is really never a good deal. Toshiba's are about the same price and outperform them in every aspect.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
i guess its just because i knew someone who worked for hp i got about 2 years ago a hp pavilion zx5000 with a 3.00Ghz p4 800MHz fsb 1 gig of ram 128mb ati 9600 and an 80 gig 7200 rpm HD for 1,200.00

Bronze Member
Username: Coolwazabi

Nashville, TN United States

Post Number: 48
get a apple ibook... there fast good HD space and no viruses since its apple... and has enternel eithernet and run about $800 on ebay..

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10128
The Apple/Mac having no viruses is a myth. Don't propagate that assumption. I have a G5 and still use anti-virus, which still needs updates. Granted I have never had a virus attack (knock on wood) it does not mean it is inevitable.

Bronze Member
Username: Jack39

Post Number: 12
I dont like toshiba, I
had a Dell and sony (Notebook) with defective batteries ,But Hp is nice. now sony is better and use better batteries.

for entertainment sony is best. you can find a light notebook in sony too.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4442
Sony laptops aren't built well, though.

Username: Pasqual13

Post Number: 8
i just bought a dell e1505 go with that its 800 i added some stuff to mine so im paying 1350 but my brother has the basic one for 800 and it works great for just about everything

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4535
Come back after you've had it for a year or two :-)

Not trying to be rude, but in order to recommend any product, I believe the recomendee(if that's a word) should have extensive use with the product.

Bronze Member
Username: Elmagico

Post Number: 29
HP DV 8000 ENOUGH SAID!

Username: Dracon

Post Number: 4
I can recomend HP from my experience.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4799
HP is garbage. You need to try all laptops before ever advocating HP.

If you read my last post in this thread:

quote:

in order to recommend any product, I believe the recomendee(if that's a word) should have extensive use with the product.

Bronze Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Post Number: 51
You also say that Dell is trash, how much extensive use have you had with them? I've had a Dimension form 95-97, a Latitude from 98-04, and an Inspiron from 05-present. Number of problems: 0. And they cost less than other brands if you get the right cupons. Thats why I recommend them to people.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4807
Dell IS trash!

They use CRAP motherboards and have CONSTANT problems. They're just like Sony in their proprietary ways! And customer support is hideous! They cost less because the parts they use are pieced together from third-world countries!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
mac ibook or the ibook pro or hp are the best laptops i have used iv used many types of laptops none really showed huge problems except averatech but u should stay away from off brand and dell and you should be ok.

Username: Mahendrarp

Post Number: 2
hi,
I am planning for new laptop. I am i china now. I have as of now decided to buy HP dv2000t laptop- intel core2 duo, nVidia,1.6Ghz, 512 MB RAM 80 GB.
Pl. suggest me. My budget is 900-1000$ & need latest configuration.

Silver Member
Username: Leew

XXXX!!WWWW, Yokosuka, ... SPESNAZ. ...

Post Number: 913
The good laptops it's Toshiba and Systemax!

Username: Luv4losers

Post Number: 8
I am a sales associate and sell laptops. I recomment Toshiba coz i had one which i dropped and broke and now a second one. If u r a heavy gamer no matter wat dont buy Celeron or Sempron. Actually dont buy thm at all, they are garbage. Centrinos and Turion 64 are good and if u get a dual or duo core processors in centrino u r the king. 512 MB is regular memory these days anything less thn that dont waste ur money. Hard drive is upto u depending on how much u want to save onto ur computer u can always buy external harddrives to save file and music. But 80 GB should be fine. Buil in wireless so u can get access to computer anywhere when wireless connection possible. DVD-burner so u can burn movies and as well as music. U can burn music with CD-rw (CD- Rewritable) as well. Put these things in mind and u will find some good deal computer where u wont regret for amount of money u r spending. and yeah get warranty if available and ask if the battery is covered in the warranty coz the battries will die around 2 or 3rd year or sooner depending on use. There are ways to save it. more info mail me or reply back, i ll try my best to reply.

Silver Member
Username: Jumpback

Post Number: 113
I too am interested in a lap top in the same price range.

I saw an HP DV9008 with a 17" screen for $850 at Best Buy and didnt buy it last week. I went back and now it is over a $1,000.

Anyone have any experience with this set up? It looked great to me and if it goes on sale again I am in.....

Silver Member
Username: Sony224422

Deep River, CT US

Post Number: 342
hp is perfectly fine. i have hp 2 laptops. my dell laptop screen died. Oh and the toshiba don't even get me started. The screens been replaced, the keyboard, the motherboard, the ram, the touchpad. i finally just gave it to my sister because i couldn't stand it anymore. The only good thing about it was that it was light.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us