New Hard Drive for laptop

Username: Atlantis_sweet

Post Number: 6
My hard drive on my laptop is old and as well as has less space. So I am trying to get a new hard drive installed. Is there a way that I can mirror or back my hard drive so that I dont loose my installed programs? Thanks in advance for the help.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 385
There is, but unless you can connect both drives to your laptop at once, you need something to mirror/back up your old drive to. A bootable external hard drive would work among other things.

You will also need a utility like Norton Ghost. The last time I mirrored anything I used Maxtors Maxblast utility which works pretty well and is free to download.

Username: Atlantis_sweet

Post Number: 7
What is a bootable external drive. I have an external hard drive, but i am not sure if it is bootable.
thanks for the reply

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 387
Actually thinking about it, it doesn't need to be bootable. However, the utility ala Max Blast or Norton Ghost or what have you needs to be able to see it.

Download MaxBlast ver 4 and install it to a CD. Then boot from the CD and see if it recognizes the external drive. If it does, you're in business and you can copy for main hard drive to that. Be advised that this will wipe the data on your external drive though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us