Turtle beach 5.1 soundcard

Username: Nextra

Ohio

Post Number: 4
i bought a turtle beach 5.1 soundcard i have not gotten it yet,i have a hp/compaq dx2000 with a 2.8ghz 533 bus 478 pin P4 with a intel 865gv chipset.my question is will my new souncard be compatible with my current set up? did i choose a decent soundcard?
thanks for all your help

Bronze Member
Username: Appzalien

Cleveland, Ohio US of A

Post Number: 69
You mention everything about your PC but what kind of sound it has now. You do know that you must disable the motherboards sound and uninstall its drivers before you add a sound card right? The Turtle Beach 5.1 sound card is OK, its not the best or most expensive but its OK. Any time you go from onboard sound to a card you will love the difference especially if you get good speakers too. Onboard sound has problems because of the close proximity of the circuits printed on the motherboard which can interfere with each other. A sound card does not have that problem.

Ohio

Post Number: 5
sorry for that, i do not have sound now. i just got this computer and i plugged in my speakers and nothing so i checked out my sounds in windows xp control panel it told me that there was no device there.so i figured i needed one. i got it for $7.00 shipped brand new i thought it was a good deal but was unsure, i heard turtle beach was supposed to be good so i said what the hell. i did not know that i had to disable and uninstall sound before i upgrade. is that just with onboard stuff or is that with all ?wont xp automaticly take care of that? do i have to do the same thing with video if i buy a new card. thanks for the info

Bronze Member

Cleveland, Ohio US of A

Post Number: 70
Yes, same for video. If your brave enough to go inside and install a card then you might want to look around on the motherboard for a model number. It can usually be found between the pci slots but you never know with a store bought machine. If you can find the model number of the motherboard or can find out using the model number of the computer you may still be able to find a manual for it. That will let you know what it has and doesn't. To begin with, if there is a place to plugin speakers in the back then you have a sound chip on the board at least. Its possible that you need to install drivers for it, to get the sound to work the way it is, but there is also the possibility that something is wrong with the chip and the drivers are there but can't do anything. If thats the case the old drivers could conflict with the new ones for the card. For $7 that can't be a new card or at least it may be a factory reconditioned job if you aren't buying it from ebay from someone anyway. Keep me posted on how your doing.

Oh! by the way, if you go into device manager and look under "Sound, video and game controllers" you might see your sond drivers there, some common ones would be Ac7 or C-Media or even the chipsets name like nVidia or Via or the old standby Creative if its really old or already has a card.

Bronze Member

Cleveland, Ohio US of A

Post Number: 71
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11851_div/11851_div.HTML

Take a look here

It appears its a business model and thats why no sound but it also may not have agp for video so you would have to go with a pci video card and there getting hard to find these days but cheap when you find them.

Ohio

Post Number: 6
hey ken thanks for all the info, you really opened my eyes. it does have a plugs in the back thats how i could make sure i didn't have sound. i looked and even downloaded drivers from hp and it would not finish installing it said no device. it all says no device avaliable. now you say a pci sound card? is that turtle beach 5.1 a pci audio card? i'm not sure i have not gotten it yet exactly what it is. all that i know is its a 5.1 turtle beach sound card he says its a new OEM? whatever that means i do know what oem stands for,i did get it from ebay but what type i dont know, i am new to most of this.now since there is no sound now do i still have to make sure that the onboardsound is disabled ? or will the new card just drop in and xp will make it work without doing anything more? thank you for your time and patience
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us