Adding memory

Username: Computer_las

Post Number: 1
My old computer has stopped working and I did not have it backed up and I had lots of pics on it that are lost now. I bought a new computer last night at best buy and the guy who helped me said they could take the old memory and add it to my new computer and I should get everythign back. Can this be true? The computer I bought has 256mb and my old one has 128mb...Don't they have to be the same size? Or could I install it and get my backup and then take it out without hurting anything? thanks a lot

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2577
The memory you're talking about is RAM, it's temporary memory, there isn't anything stored there after the PC shuts down. If you had anything stored on the PC, it would be on the hard drive. If the HD still works, you can transfer what you want from the old HD to the new one. Your new PCs memory speed is probably faster than the old PC, you wouldn't want to use the old PCs memory if so.

Bronze Member
Username: Boyce

Post Number: 65
Do you know what type the ram you get before, they change alot since new thing come out every week, DDR...etc. If you not sure please leave it alone, beside like David said you can transfer the old HD data to the new one, easy way for the person who don't know too much at computer, for me I will buy a USB HD case, put the old drive in it, and then plug and play. Beside you don't need open the computer case. For VOID warranty etc

Post Number: 2
Hey I got a response :-) thanks

yes this is what I thought...it is saved on the hard drive and not the memory..I searched and read as much as I could today...how could I use the old hard drive to get the things off of it (assuming it is still working) I actually have 2 computers that are no longer working. also I did not think you could use the ram from the old ...doesnt it have to be the same size? and the same kind or you could do damage....I think that kid at best buy was trying to impress me :-)
but if I can get the pics off the hard drive I will do that...do you know how I can? maybe :-) thanks

Post Number: 3
Thanks Boyce :-) ..where can I get a new hd case :-) I am excited now if I can get this done.... I lost a lot of pics and video clips because I did nto have it backed up ....my new search is going to be this now :-)thank you again :-)

Post Number: 4
Oh ps ... I just thought about this and it is a fairly new hard drve so it should still be working....I also did a quick search and can I pick this up at best buy? nd it will just plug in? that simple? what if I do nto get one of these how do you install...thanks

Username: Fishtaco

Post Number: 1
buy a new computer

Gold Member

Post Number: 2580
You can go to westerndigital.com and download Datalife software that will let you transfer files from one HD to another. You'll need to know the file names. If you use slower RAM from another PC, that will slow the new PC down to the speed of the slower memory. They don't have to be the same size, they need to be the same type and speed.

Bronze Member
Username: Boyce

Post Number: 66
I guess you can try this http://www.cablesbyacc.com/products/catalog3lvl.cfm?product=BF-6300&category=USB %20and%20Firewire or try this http://www.cablesbyacc.com/products/catalog3lvl.cfm?product=UDA-200&category=USB %20and%20Firewire
because I don't know where are you live, easy way is google it , it should find them at online store or local computer store. have a great day!

Post Number: 5
Thanks Boyce.....you helped me so much...I have searched it online and its is not very expensive to buy one at all :-)...I am not sure about which size I need but I am sure I will figure it out....I have had 2 computers crashed that were not backed up...(I have learned my lesson) and I have lots of special pics on both...(birthdays, baby being born) I am so excited that this maybe a way to recover all that :-) and some of my programs that I lost :-)...you have a good day as well :-)

David...thanks for that link...I maybe be able to use that in the future :-)

Fish....thanks but that is what I did (bought a new computer )

Gold Member

Post Number: 2589
Most PCs will hold 2 HDs. You should be able to just add the old HD to the new PC, it's not very hard. As long as both have the same OS, you'll be fine. Depebnding on the manufacterer of the new PC, it may or may not void the warranty.

Post Number: 6
Thanks again david..can i ask you what a oc is?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2592
Operating system. If both drives are formatted for XP, then all you have to do is add the other HD to the new PC. There's usually an open slot and an extra plug on the cable. If you do it that way, set the jumper in the back of the drives so that the new drive is master and the old drive is slave. The cable should say master and slave on the connectors too.

Post Number: 7
Yes they are all xp and I should be able to add it...I am sure it is simple and I see where it says master..thank you Yay!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2594
Make sure you set the jumper on the back of the drives to master and slave, if you don't, they won't work. Don't touch the circuit board on the drives, handle them by the sides.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us