Gateway MX-6027 charging problems !!!

Username: Anne_p

Post Number: 6
I own a Gateway MX-6027 notebook, suddenly the battery "died", capacity lower then 25%, the laptop is also not working anymore with the adapter ( with or without the battery installed ) I had the feeling the DC connector on the motherboard could be the problem so I opend the computer completely until I had the motherboard in my hands, I could not find a problem with the DC-plug or whatever. I messured the voltage from the adapter this seems to be correct / DC 19 Volts. After that I opend the housing of the battery and charged the 6 cells with a external charger, I'm 100% sure the cells are fully charged, a 65 Watt 12V car bulb is burning on it and the voltage drops only .2 volts. The battery capacity indicator shows still lower then 25%. I installed the battery back in the laptop, but still the same problem, after 5 seconds it swithes off. Who can give me a good suggestion what to do ??? I contacted gateway but they have no idee.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4820
Bad motherboard. You might have caused further damage when you opened it up...

Post Number: 10
Thanks Jexx, I was hoping for more responce on this forum. I believe the motherboard is good, when I swith the laptop on, it starts the BOIS and I get information on the screen. After a few seconds it shuts off because he ( she ) thinks the battery is empty. I know that the first two connections from the battery are the ground ( negative ), the last two connections are the positive / 12 volt., but what about connection 3, 4 and 5. Could somebody give me information about these reference voltages. Please help.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4826
Yeah, this forum isn't good for computer problems; it's based around audio/video more than anything.

When you tested the DC jack on the motherboard, did you plug in the AC/DC plug and test the voltage using the soldering points on the board with your DMM? It might just be loose/need to be replaced.

Normally, if the laptop starts up to the BIOS and shuts off after that, it isn't a battery problem, especially when it is always after the BIOS comes up--the battery would cause the laptop to shut off at random times.

Also, how do you know the laptop reads the battery as being lower than 25%? Was that before it stopped turning on all the way? If so, maybe a new battery is necessary.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Jexx, thanks for your explination, I'm happy you give it a try to help me.

After I opened the laptop completely I connected the DC plug and messured with a Digital Multi Meter on the motherboard the soldering points, but it was impossible to follow them to the connection for the battery. But the DC-jack is good connected to the motherboard.

The first time when I switch on the laptop, it stays on for about 7 sec. then shuts off. The second time it's about 4 sec. and after several times it's not going on anymore.

The battery has a internal battery condition meter with indications: 25 / 50 / 75 and 100% charged, this meter indicates less then 25% ( flashing led 25% ), but I'm 101% sure the battery is charged, I charged it with a seperate adapter directly connected on the 6 cells.

Personaly I have a feeling there must be a reference voltage on connections 3,4 and 5 from the battery to "tell" the laptop about the condition of the battery. If these reference voltage is not correct the laptop "thinks" the battery is empty and swithes off.

I contacted several times Gateway but those people cannot give me the information I need, they told me to go to Circuit City or Brandsmart, but this is impossible for me I'm living on a little island in the Caribbean and have to solve my own problems..... I'm hoping for new suggestions.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4827
How old is the battery?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Hi Jexx, 2 month, what about my other qeustions ???

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Could somebody PLEASE help me, is there nobody who can give me usefull information ???

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
I want to close this topic, I trow away the notebook, end of story.

Username: Samwelli

Post Number: 1
did you really throw the notebook away? If you are trashing it, send it to me and I will work on it then donate it to a hospital (Bugando Medical Centre) that is in need in Tanzania, east africa
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us