Signs that HD is failing

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1613
Are there warnings that the HD is going to fail? I heard a high pitched whine from one of mine the other day, like bearings maybe. I haven't heard it again since, but the PC seems like it may be a little sluggish, or maybe it's just my imagination. If it's going to go, I'd like to get everything off it before it does.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 1611
Yeah possibly. Just buy an external hard drive and back everything up using software from www.gocyberlink.com The program is called Power Backup.

Username: Lacman

India

Post Number: 9
Mostly all the hard disk has SMART (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology). It is special software that monitors the health status of the hard drive. Its main purpose is to prevent and predict drive failure and save the data that stored on the hard drive. Active SMART is one of the most popular disk monitors. It works in the background while Windows is running, and it constantly checks the health of your hard drive(s) by monitoring their S.M.A.R.T. status (S.M.A.R.T. stands for Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology). S.M.A.R.T. technology was developed by a number of major hard disk drive manufacturers in a concerted effort to increase the reliability of drives. It is a technology that enables the PC to reliably predict approaching failure of hard disk drives. S.M.A.R.T. technology has become an industry standard for hard drive manufacturers. If the hard disk is about to fail it will prompt you a message that the there will be an imminent failure of the hard disk.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us