Ethernet crossover

Username: Bizziatchi

Post Number: 7
can someone tell me how the f to hook up to computers without a hub through the ethernet? i had a straight through ethernet but i converted it to a crossover ethernet so that i can connect the computers directly. now that i have that done, i cant get the computers to recognize each other. one of the computers is a compaq and it has windows millenium. the other is a dell and it has windows xp. i had it hooked up through a hub, but i had a power surge and it fried everything. i have since fixed everything except the hub, so i want to hook the computers up directly. does anyone know how to do this or have any suggestions? any help would be appreciated. thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1150
try setting up an ad hoc network.

Bronze Member
Username: Jessejames

NB, PA USA

Post Number: 69
all you need is one crossover cable and 2 nic cards... the computers are made to be networked, go to your network settings... exactly the same as if you had a hub... just instead of using a straight through... use a cross over cable...

w/o
o
w/g
b
w/b
g
w/b
b
:-)

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 751
also if it doesnt recognize one of the pcs theres a hot key that sometimes works (think its f5 key)

Bronze Member
Username: Elecgenius

La Puente, Ca United States

Post Number: 20
f5 is a refresh button. u need to do the crossover like jesse said. also check that both the computers have tcp-ip and file sharing installed by right clicking on networl neighborhood and going to properties. also, for both u need to set up a network, with the same workgroup name. if that fails try to install netbeui or ipx(preferably ipx) which will work on any game
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us