Buy rebel xt with or without a lens?

Username: Jozu

Post Number: 1
first off, thanks for clicking on my thread. so the story is that a requirement for my school major is that i study abroad for a year, and im going to Japan. I have only point and shoot experience, and my knowledge of cameras is limited (though im eagarly learning).

My question is, should I go with the canon rebel xt and the 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 lens it comes with? or should I buy one without the stock lens and get a different one? if so, which? I would imagine that the enviroment i will be shooting will run the gamut, though my guess would be primarily outside/daylight. any input you could provide would be extremely appreciated. thanks again :-)

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

CA USA

Post Number: 465
It sounds like you have no prior SLR or DSLR experience, so the kit lens is not a bad starting point. No, it's not that great of a lens but in the typical lighting you expect it will work fine stopped down to about f8. Once you get used to the whole SLR concept and have a better idea of what focal lengths and max apertures you need you can start looking at other lenses.

What you could do is get the 50/1.8 for low light situations (and to get some experience with primes. The lens costs about $70, but the optics are among the best available (50mm lenses are simple to make and having been the "kit" lens for years, they have LOTS of practice making them).

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13959
Dan,

Being that you have had no prior experience with any SLRs and limited camera knowledge, it is best that you start off with the kit lens that comes with the camera.

Right now, you have no idea of what you may be missing nor what you are going to need through the photographic road. That is a good thing!

Start with one lens until you learn more about photography and from that experience, you will be able to determine whether or not you will need a different lens or another one for that matter.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us