D70 lens questions

Username: Ibnarabs

Post Number: 1
My D70 and lenses were stolen last weekend. While waiting for insurance claims to go through, I am trying to decide on replacement lenses because I wasn't completely satisfied with the 70-300 the dealer sold me. I generally shoot indoor gymnastics of my daughter where I cannot use a flash. I also have horses, so I shoot them outdoors as well as indoors with low lighting where I can use a flash. My 70-300 4/5.6 G AF didn't do the job with low lighting and no flash. It does okay indoors on the horses with the flash if they are not moving around but not if they are doing more than a walk. I was pleased with the lens in any other situation. I would say I am a serious amateur who only shoots for pleasure, but I am very particular about image quality. I won't be able to afford Nikon's top of the line lenses but do want to stick with Nikon (maybe their medium priced lenses). Any advice I can get here will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Christine

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11185
I am sorry to hear that.

If you can find the 18-200 VR lens, I would highly recommend it for the type of shooting that you do. it ahs a nice reach and the VR will help you with the lowlight situation. The 70-300 was really not meant for any type of indoor shooting as it is a very slow lens and not very sharp on the long end. It is meant for outdoor use with bright sunlight.

If you can afford to go higher on the budget you may want to take a look the 70-200 AF-S VR. Unfortunately low light situations really call for expensive glass unless you can live with boosting the ISO and toleraating noise.

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 388
Like Berny said, low light plus no flash means fast lenses. The choices boil down to primes which can get really fast, or f2.8 zooms--both of which can get very expensive.

I have read that the Sigma 70-200/2.8 is nearly as good as the Canon 70-200 lenses, which are fantastic. Something to look at if you aren't stuck on just considering Nikkor glass.

Post Number: 2
I wasn't aware that there was an 18 - 200 lens. Any drawbacks to that one vs getting a seperate wide-angle and zoom? I notice on most of the 70 - 200 or 300 lenses that they only go to 3.5 instead of 2.8. Would that be fast enough for what I am looking for, or do I really need to shoot for getting a 2.8 lens? I am probably looking at spending roughly $500 - $700 for a zoom. If that is my price range, does anyone have a different suggestion? Also, is there a huge difference in the 70 - 200's and the 70 - 300's? I'm wondering how much I will miss the extra zoom if I go with a 200. Sorry for so many questions, but I want to make the right decision on lenses this time around. Thanks for your input!

Christine

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11252
Christine,

Before we go any further...what is your level of experience when it comes to SLR photography?

Post Number: 3
Berny, the D70 was my first digital camera. I'd had it about 2 years. Before that I had a 20 year old Ricoh SLR that had served me well, but my visual clarity isn't what it used to be, so I found myself having trouble focusing and wanted to go to something with auto-focus. I take lots and lots of pictures, understand the basic ins and outs of lighting, aperture, shutter speed and so on, but I wouldn't consider myself exceedingly knowledgable by any means. I love the D70. It's been wonderful for the situations I take pictures in except for the low light/no flash where I'm going to need more speed. I've never really gotten into the study or use of different lenses and which do what as it's not been an issue for me until now. I'll be perfectly happy to have the same wide-angle lens I had (the 18-70 3.5/4.5 G IF ED DX) but a different zoom.

Christine

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11268
Christine,
Nothing much has changed since then except for the digital part. :-)
I know what you mean regarding the convenience of auto-focus, my eyes just aren't like they were.

My recommendation stands with the 18-200VR lens for the Nikon. As far as the 2.8 glass...look here

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us