Help! iPod altered my Music Folder

Username: Reinman

Post Number: 1
Installed itunes with my new Video 30. Directed Itunes to synch with my music folder (a dedicated folder on my removeable hard drive). The folder had approx. 2,500 individual files, all named properly, with tags. Now all the files have been bundled into sub-folders by artists! I don't want that. How to undo this???

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11261
Unfortunately that is a byproduct of letting iTunes manage your folder and when you neglect to read the installation prompts. The program takes over your music files if you let it run on its own.

You can do a system restore on your PC by going back to the last system back-up before you installed iTunes.

Once you re-install iTunes read the prompts and "DO NOT" manage the folders by using iTunes.

Post Number: 2
Thanks Berny. I guess I missed that. The XP System Restore will not un-install iTunes though, will it? Should I do a complete ("clean and total") uninstall of iTunes? Thanks for you help.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11291
You need to un-install iTunes and do not synch them, ...iTunes will take over management of music files so it needs to be removed.

If you want total control of iTunes and the way you handle your music, manage the music manually.

Post Number: 3
Well, I must say that iTunes is insidious. I tried to uninstall iTunes, even searching for hidden folders for Apple, Quicktime etc. and deleting them. I then tried at least 10 different XP System Restore points and all were rejected. XP problem or Apple? I don't know. And when I re-installed iTunes, it showed up exactly as I left it before I supposedly uninstalled it, including all my music files and even manually inserted album art! I have a feeling you can't completely cleanse your pc of iTunes without wiping the hard drive. So, short of taking my pc to a technician for major service, I'm stuck with the control that iTunes now has over my system. As Berny suggests, proceed with the install very carefully :-(

Post Number: 4
Further to my last post, I am going to try some sort of MP3 re-naming or sorting utility to try "un-folderize" my music files back to where I was before I foolishly let iTunes "manage my music folder". Any ideas on a good utility?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us