Website

Username: Sploosh56

Post Number: 4
Does anybody know how to host a website off a personal computer? I don't want to pay somebody else to have it run from their server. I have cable internet so i should be fine right?

Bronze Member
Username: Dread07

Oshkosh, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 28
You must pay for a domain, and personaly i dont konw how too, but y not just pay the 5 a month for a web site hosted some where else?

Username: Carlo

Dublin, Dublin Ireland

Post Number: 9
It depends
1)what operating system you r using,
2)Who do u want to access your site
3)Do u want to setup a server enviroment i.e. if you want to test your site u can setup your PC to think your site is hosted on a server

Unregistered guest
I'm using windows XP, and i'd like to have people be able to view my site.

It's a simple text and link site with background pictures.

How can you setup your pc to think it's hosting a site on a server ?

Unregistered guest
You could always go to www.tripod.com and set up a free website.

Anonymous

yes

Bronze Member
Username: Wrestlertreece

Post Number: 40
www.freehomepages.com its free there to...

Silver Member
Username: Deathshadow

Post Number: 154
First off setting up a public HTTP server if you don't know what you are doing is a BAD idea especially in conjunction with a windows OS. Apache ran with windows is unstable/not secure to say the least and is EXTREMELY easy to take down. If you truly want to host your own site learn all that you can about it first. To just setup a server on your PC with out the proper precautions is just opening a door for attackers. If you REALLY need FREE space I can offer you up a gig on our company network. I run a hosting company for internet security related sites/corporations/and some small users. Security is VERY tight due to the type of clients we host and you will need to answer a list of questions and submit some information if you would like space. We use Cisco gigabit switches for our backbone and the servers are Unix Apache based. You must agree to allow full logging and observations of all activities and media from both on a human and IDS activity level.

Apache's site is:

http://www.apache.org/

- Damien Roberts, BA Labs Inc.

Silver Member
Username: Elecgenius

La Puente, Ca United States

Post Number: 102
what u can do also is setup your computer trhough virtual pc. its a program that will let u run two or more OS on the same computer. u can install linux and let ur website be based on that. its amazing with apache too. give it a try.... the worst thing that can happen is u would need to format the partition on where the linux is based. if u need a GUI - friendly linux,,, try to go with the newest version of red hat. i think last time i checked it was like 20 bucks or summtn

Damien Rob.
Unregistered guest
Forget Redhat, go with Mandrake, Gentoo, or id actually go with Lycoris (similar to XP) for the *nix n00b. If you want to try Linux with out editing partitions/installing anything download and burn the Knoppix ISO. Knoppix is a Linux distro that boots entirely off CD; just burn it, put it in your CD-ROM drive, restart, and it will boot right up! Knoppix is also great for mounting the NTFS partition and robbing PW hashes! :-) You can download any Linux ISO for FREE at www.linuxiso.org, use the mirrors for the best download speeds.

kevin2akakaz
Unregistered guest
i dont understand, u can install linux ontop of XP? how? some 1 email me and explain

bluedevilx@Gmail.com

kevin2akakaz
Unregistered guest
Also, i want a server that can host other peoples sites

like www.ilikeitlikethat.com (<not>)
or something, i can it can be dun i just need to know how (also email me- bluedevilx@gmail.com)

Silver Member
Username: Deathshadow

Post Number: 223
Well no not on top but kind of off to the side; by taking some space from your hard drive and creating another primary partition you can install a second OS. Then all you do is add a dual boot loader and you now have two OSs to choose from. I hope you don't plan on charging money for this hosting service for a few reasons.

*You can not guarantee anyone's data to be safe since you do not know how to secure a network/server. This may result in people wanting their money back and damages blah blah blah; have a lengthy disclaimer.

*Almost all ISPs WILL ban you from using their internet service ever again if they catch you hosting for cash (sometimes not even cash). This is easier to get away with on Cable because it's faster and the network topology is much more complex.

*Some ISPs block upstream HTTP and port 80 traffic from your IP to begin with.

*Your upstream speed is guaranteed to suck; do NOT host too many hardcore users or you will have a fun time playing online games and using your own connection.

*You can configure apache to host other sites by using apache virtual server; however for the Linux n00bs even installing apache may seem overwhelming.

kevin2akakaz
Unregistered guest
Damien Roberts, Can you email me, and talk to me here please and tell me how to do this with apache ect also will it be like www.w/e.com?

kevin2akakaz
Unregistered guest
Also how can i do the '2 os thing' i have to wait untill i'm back in the us which will be in the summer but i really want to do that so i can host sites in a more secure place instead of XP i could host it on the other half, linux. lol that would be sweet so all the help i can get will be reconized on the completeion ofthe double os Xp/linux and the creation of me hosting my own site and hosting the site of others

Ianbowman
Unregistered guest
Ok go to www.tzo.com and get the program and set it up. then get a sitebuilder or notpad make the website html etc. and then use tzo and locate the html file then hit run server. also when seeting up it will ask you your adrress. and tzo will make you name like www.wateveryouwanthere.tzo.com but still you get as much memory as yourcomputer. well i hope i helped mail me back @ ianrbowman@hotmail.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us