New to the Forums. my HT pics

Username: Loki69

Memphis, Tn Usa

Post Number: 1
Hello everyone. It has been a real treat to learn from everyone here. I finnaly broke my wife down and she gave me more space. Here is a link to my project from start to 90% completion.
a few minor details left. at the bottum of each page you can follow the link to the next series of pics.
thanks and leave any feedback you can. i love to learn from you guys.
http://www.gibsonfamilypage.com/25627/index.html

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 772
Looks really great lamar, love that projector and I also have the red microfiber couch in mine see https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/130158.html

Memphis, Tn Usa

Post Number: 2
Joseph your woodworking is awesome., Did you do all of it yourself?
As for the projector, i have heard many reviews and visited many many HT stores. For the money (under $1000) you cannot beat this unit. It can poroduce 1940x1080 with no issues. I mean a beautiful picture. the light control is the only issue (reason i used black paint) In my research i have found to get the next "level" of projector (better picture, less need for light control ect.) I will be spending over $10,000 So it will be the one i have for a while.
All of the work was done by me and my 10 year old nephew. the total cost for supplies and furniture also including electronics in Rack and speakers is under $6000 so I plan to sell it with my house in 2- 3 years. i hope it will bring an extra 6 grand (then i will have enjoyed several years of great quailty games and movies at no charge )
thanks

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 537
after all that all you could get were sony speakers? looks nice but would have been nicer if you looked for speakers outside of mass market.

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 777
How about giving the man some positive critism Lee, instead of putting the man down on his choice.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 539
he spent all that money and time and he bought $5 speakers. im just being honest. it looks nice but his choice of equipment could have been better.

Memphis, Tn Usa

Post Number: 4
LOL Lee is right.......These speakers are get this hand-me-downs.........LOL i have under $50 invested in these speakers. My budget was consumed by the furniture and a few other details.
However I fully intend on a set of B&W speakers. within the next 6 months. Here is a list of priorities as i see it. Please give me lots of feedback
(keep in mind i am on a budget. I have around $500 per quarter to blow.)
1 Belkin PF40 Power center $250 within 30 days
2 XBOX 360 $249-449 who knows. in November
3 Onkyo reciver $500 Christmas-mid January
4 B&W 600 (i think the set is $1500 for two towers and center) March (year end bonus)

So the only thing im not sure of is the importance of the order. the power center first or the reciver.
let me know what you think.
Joseph i appreciate the defense, but i want to make this a great HTS (under$10000) over the next 2 years, So be brutle thats how i learn. thnks guys
please add any other must if you think i should get.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 541
haha. i personally meant no offense but glad to hear that you want to get B&Ws. i have series 1 601s and like them alot. you will be pretty happy with them. joe, next time i wont try to be sooo honest. you should also try looking at marantz and HK for a reciever. you might like their equipment more. i have heard mixed things about getting expensive power centers and cable/interconnects. i guess be reasonable. if your current power distribution is decent i would go for the reciever first. goodluck with your setup. again it looks good and im sure will be even better with the eventual upgrades.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1765
Lamar,
Great job on the room!! How did you get your wife to part with the disney stuff?? Maybe I'll give you my fathers phone number so you can offer advice because my mother has turned 2 bedrooms of my childhood home into a mass of disney(my brothers old room), and non-disney dolls and stuffed teddy bears in my old room.

HEH

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 384
Lamar,
Is that a JVC RX-888VBK receiver in your rack?

Upload

I just retired one of these (still working). I got very good service from this JVC for five years, and it was OK on my new speakers. Personally, I would upgrade your speakers first and then worry about matching the electronics to them later. Better speakers are going to give you the biggest immediate improvement in your new HT.

Congratulations, by the way--nice work.

Also, a $500-600 Onkyo is pretty much a lateral move on your part, except for updates: 6/7.1, DPL II, etc.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1774
"I would upgrade your speakers first and then worry about matching the electronics to them later. Better speakers are going to give you the biggest immediate improvement in your new HT."
-----------------------

I couldnt have said it better.
Some will argue otherwise, but they 'DO NOT' know what they speak.

Memphis, Tn Usa

Post Number: 6
You guys are like the 50th (and 51st persons to tell me that. OKOK I can take a hint..lol
I would like the advice for my price range it is between the
B&W 603 USED $450-$700
B&W 604 new $1100
Infinity Beta 50 New $600
Yamaha NS-777 new $350
Klipsch RF 5 new $900

Where would you guys put YOUR money.
This is a wide varity, but will allow me to see some logic. ie save a few hundred on the 603 and put it elsewhere.

thanks

As for your question Paul. I broke down the ROI (return on investment) and if you can show a woman that it is possible to make a few extra grand at the selling point. THen you at least have a fighting chance.
Plus I told her I would quit asking for so much sex. lol JK

Bronze Member
Username: Javmo200

Michigan

Post Number: 56
Lamar
Great Job--This is the beuty of Home theater--the upgrading is never over. I do have a B&W subwoofer and I like it a lot. Your choice of equipment is good--again the sky is the limit and it does not matter what we think --If you like the sound that is all you need.

PANASONIC TH-50PX25U/P
ROTEL 1067 7:1 RECEIVER
KLIPSCH RB 75 FRONT SPEAKERS
KLIPSCH RC 3 CENTER CHANNEL
KLIPSCH RS 35 SURROUND REAL
B&W ASW 750 SUB
MONSTER HTS5100
ORION MX 850 UNIV. REMOTE
Rotel 1060 DVD player
Motorola Cable/HD/DVR

Username: Ns158

New Haven , Ct Usa

Post Number: 5
I have a set of Yamaha NS-777's. I am 100% happy w/ them. I am currently researching recivers to power them. Denon 3805 or Yamaha 2500.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 1847
I didn't know tanning beds looked like coffins...too bad you had to keep it in the room. Maybe you can say that's what happened to the last person that turned up the stereo full volume...

Silver Member
Username: Camaro823

British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 238
Wow, that must have taken some work, looks great.

Bronze Member
Username: Mystro

Post Number: 66
Lamar, The room turned out great. I have one idea for your room. I am not crazy and before you say no think about this.
If you have to keep the tanning bed in your room.......Ready for this?
Paint the StarTrek Enterprise logo on it. It already looks exactly like the pod they shot Spock out into space in. It would look sooooo cool. I am not a Sci-fi geek but rent the movie "Search for Spock" and paint the exact logo on the tanning bed.

Bronze Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 60
Glad someone mentioned the tanning bed. IF the Spock Torpedo bit doeen't work out perhaps you can advertise " Tanning with a movie" salon and raise some cash for speakers and equipment.

Bronze Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 36
Or, he could rent tanning time and movie time at the same time.

I am partial to horn loaded speakers so bear that in mind. Klipsch do buy you something that is invaluable for someone on a budget. They are very sensitive and would allow you to use a receiver to good effect until you decide you need separate amplification.

I love the colors and the furniture. I too have the Lazy Boy furniture. The warranty on the fabric for five years with the treatment was the deciding factor.

I can understand how your budget can disappear before you know it. Sealing in the window was brilliant! Low cost and very effective.

Seasons Greetings.

Bronze Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 53
great work, what an escape! Look into NHTs for great sounding theater at very affordable price. Older models are better IMO than the newer ones, but they have recieved pretty good reviews as well. LOOKS AWESOME.

Bronze Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 54
And BenQ for projector. Wait for newest models to come out as you can get better deals on later models, that still perform outstanding. InFocus is another worth looking at.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us