Not the best, but the best I have ever had.

Username: Ecroskey

Post Number: 2
I did a little remodelling of the basement. Since my house is a ranch with a half finished basement, floor space is at a premium. I decided to move the tv and stereo equipment to the back side of the wall and have a real clean minimalist look to the installation. I think I achieved my goal.

Upload
Upload

On a side note, I posted yesterday about problems using remote extenders with my Sciantific Atlanta 8000HD DVR. The thing I discovered is that using cheap solutions never gets me where I want to go. I have to work on a budget, but I have now decided to spend my money wisely. I ended up purchasing a hardwired Speaker Craft IR emitter setup for about $160.00. Tagged each of the components with an emitter and it works flawlessly now. Very happy with the end result. I am planning out my future purchases now, looking for a new receiver and amp, and looking for a 1080i DVD player. Speakers will follow.

I do have to say, that working on a limited budget, I am extremely happy with the Phillips HTIB I purchased about a year and a half ago.

Username: Mysterio

Post Number: 4
Looks good - you fooled me with the first picture - didn't realize you had room behind the wall.

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 773
Yeah , me too . I thought you had the worlds thinnest plasma, looks great though.

Username: Saaketham

Post Number: 9
Excellent, I love the clean, simple look and the ample space behind, in the room behind the wall, where you can comfortably change connections, etc. I envision something like this for my future home, where the front looks thin and clean, while a small "control-room" behind the entertainment center will make it easy to add or take away components, game consoles, etc. Good job.

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the compliments! I'm a little bummed about the sound now. I think it's just my poor choice of HTIB. Anyone have recommendations on good sounding, mid-cost equipment? I don't mind staying with the HTIB concept for now, but I would like to have a little more control over the surround settings. I'm getting almost nothing in the rear speakers and the center channel is just blarring.

Thanks again.

Username: Loki69

Memphis, Tn Usa

Post Number: 5
If i may add. I have a Sony Dream system form my living room (700 watts) and i LOVE it. the old model you can get at best buy or CC (maybe even a floor model like i got for around $250 the newer version runs around $400+
GL

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1766
Eric,
Doesnt your HTIB allow for adjusting your channel levels??

Bronze Member
Username: Saaketham

Post Number: 11
I have an Onkyo HTS-780, which is a 1000 W, 7.1 channel system. I have only set up the front 2 and center channels + subwoofer so far, since I don't yet have speakers stands for the surround ones. Even so, playing DVDs on it - the bass rumbles deep and rich, if you play around with the settings and I can feel the bass on the other side of the house. Its a nice system, for $ 450 at CC.

Post Number: 4
Paul, it does, but to a very limited extent. One of the biggest problems I am having it really the sound quality that is delivered through Time Warner Cable. Some channels hiss, some are way too loud, some are so quite I have to crank the volume and then it is distorted. I never should have gotten rid of DirecTV.

Lamar, thanks for the info. I will look into the Sony.

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 781
Most cable channels (includes cable channels on a dish) have terrible sound. HBO, Discovery and some other quality channels have decent sound, but I'm betting that would not change with DefuncTV. Are you connecting the cable box via rca's or digital (either coax or optical)??

Post Number: 5
Coax from the splitter TWC put in (cable/roadrunner) and component cable from Scientific Atlanta DVR to the TV/AMP.

Actually Discovery and HBO are two of the channels that are extreme low volume as they come through.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1770
The only channels that should really have 'good' sound are your HD programs broadcast in 5.1. If they dont sound good, I'd ditch your cable company immediately. The rest are only 2 channel & lowdef anyway so it doesnt really matter. I rarely watch any programming anymore that isnt in HD. Sometimes I'll watch the history channel and some of those channels, but sound quality isnt a big issue with those programs......much like watching the news.

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 791
Eric , I meant for sound, how is it connected to the HTIB???

Post Number: 6
Hi Joseph, sorry. They are RCA attached from the cable box.

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 797
Ok , then yes it's most definitely not the cable comapny, it's the source sound from those channels. They just are no good. If you do upgrade ,I would suggest getting separate components though. You have the room and the difference in quality is huge.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 385
Eric,
With the present hookup, your only alternative for surround sound is Dolby Pro Logic, which would explain why there's little from the rears and a bunch from the center speaker. I seriously doubt if your DVR is passing any basic analog surround encoding that may be present on the cable through to your HTIB receiver.

Your Scientific Atlanta DVR should have a digital audio output, either coax or optical or both. In order for you to hear any digital audio, your HTIB receiver must be fed that signal. RCA phono interconnects cannot do that as they carry only the analog audio signal.

I have not used TWC for over a year now, but when I did, all channels above 99 were in Dolby Digital, either 2.0 or 5.1. These days almost everything on the primary HBO channel (and HBO HD) is DD 5.1.

So try the digital output from your DVR. Warner may be different in your area--it could be that all channels are digital now. There shouldn't be that much difference between the digital audio channels in volume level (except maybe when you switch from a 2.0 to a 5.1 channel).

Your setup's nice and clean, congratulations.

Username: Rocker

Post Number: 1
If you have an reciever, look into a bose acoustic mass system, only the speakers and sub in this package. Great job on the T.V setup. email me if you have any questions ; )

Bronze Member
Username: Mystro

Post Number: 49
Great system. I am a big believer of hiding the gear. I tell people in my my media room "Its what you dont see is whats cool".
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us