Hdfm

Username: Cgrndwazoo

Daytona beach , Fl Usa

Post Number: 4
any thoughts about this new format. i have a Radiosophy hdfm radio on order any chat would be great.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4242
Clay,

How is it?

There is a thread under "Home Audio > Tuners" HD Tuner?.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 8247
more high definition stuff??? wow!

Username: J_strazz

Post Number: 3
HD Radio may keep conventional radio alive for a while, however, I think satellite radio will win the radio war. It's coast to coast and has commercial free stations.

Silver Member
Username: Rick_ross

Post Number: 360
yo

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4332
John, that would be nice, but after that I personally think satellite radio providers would boost their subscription price and allow for more commercials.

Though, yeah, conventional radio is HORRIBLE.

Post Number: 8
Jexx, you may be right about that. XM already has a few of their channels running commercials. However, my theory on that is that it may, at some point, offer free commercial channels while continuing to charge a subscription fee for commercial free channels. They would sell more radios and perhaps entice more people to subscribe to the premium services. Either way, I think both forms of radio will co-exist for quite some time.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10411
Isn't the point of paying for satellite radio is to have freedom from commercials?

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4421
Yep, that was the same case with cable for the house, no commercials on TV, yet they started adding in commercials soon enough...

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1197
Hey guys. I too was looking into HD, but after reading this, I think I will stay with a regular HU. Anyone else have personal views on HD?

http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/007853.html

Silver Member
Username: Durski

Post Number: 110
i still hear commercials on satellite radio, both sirius and XM, why pay?

Post Number: 10
As I said on an earlier post, satellite radio has a few channels with commercials while most of them are commercial free. I still think, at some point, that you will be able to receive free satellite channels without paying a subscription fee.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Apparently Jeremy Zawodny either has bad hearing or he lives across the street from an FM transmitter. When I listen to FM stereo radio, I hear background noise most of the time. It is most noticeable in my home stereo. My car FM radio has circuitry that narrows the stereo image, thus making it sound less like stereo. The fact is, FM stereo has a coverage area of about half that of FM mono (when you switch to mono the noise goes away or is less noticeable). HD Radio, being digital, will eliminate that problem along with the need for dynamic range suppression which is used by FM broadcasters to help reduce the aforementioned noise.

Just like the switch to digital television, we will all eventually need to buy new equipment to hear radio as the FCC has long range plans to eliminate analog broadcast radio so that those frequencies may be re-allocated for other applications. I don't think it is going to happen very soon, but it IS going to happen.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA

Post Number: 18642
how is the quality on hd radio? is it better xm or sirius?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15189
Heard it...pretty good, sounds like a direct CD output. Don't know if it is any better than XM or Sirius, though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us