Metal Heads

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3155
i highly recommend getting the new Parkway Drive album. i recently got into them and absolutely love the music they create. just sounds so raw and powerful.

while were at it, anybody have some suggestions on similar bands? i'm in a music search mood.

Gold Member
Username: Freezeman_7

FOR SALE, BNIB RD AUDI... USA

Post Number: 2573
I love august burns red, as well as as i lay dying.

emmure
suicide silence
white chapel
attack attack
he is legend
inhale exhale
mortal treason
of mice and men
oh sleeper
number one gun
sky eats airplane

just to name a few of my faves

Gold Member

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3156
funny i was just watching Composure on youtube haha. i'm a big fan of AILD too. but thanks, i'll have to check out some of those when i get the time.

also just found out Parkway Drive will be at warped tour in Dallas :D

Gold Member
Username: Pitbullguy

The Chicago area

Post Number: 4515
What is the appeal of the screaming? Can you understand what they're saying?

Serious questions, no sarcasm intended.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5762
It's power Ehren... you either get it or you don't. Alot of times you don't want to know what they are saying... especially the type bands that I like the most. Most of these bands above, are what I consider to be prog-pop-metal bands. The only ones I can really stomach are Beneath The Buried And Me, who are awesome, and maybe The Black Dahlia Murder and Mastodon. Chase and I have been over this 100 times.

Anyways, bands that are similar to (but IMO better than) PD are:

Arch Enemy
DevilDriver
Strapping Young Lad (and anything Devin Townsend)
Biomechanical
Symphony X
In Flames
Norther

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 902
I'm really big into Winds of Plague. If you've heard them before then you already know Here is one of my favorite songs by them. Its off their first album, which is good, but their second album is AWESOME!

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 903
I understand what Ehren is asking about. The screaming does take getting used to, and the more you listen to this genre of music the more you understand it and learn it. For me, the vocalist makes it or breaks it. I've heard a lot of great bands but when the singer starts singing, it ruins it for me. The screaming has to fit the music theyre singing to or it just doesnt flow well for me. The screaming is a release of pain, energy, whatever that to the same degree matches the raw energy of the music theyre singing to. When you think about it, what other type of singing could you really do to some heavy, raw music? I'm more into melodic type metal bands that have a lot of emotion and feeling in both the lyrics and music being played. I'm a huge fan of deftones and of bands like the used, whose both newest albums are great.

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 904
From Autumn to Ashes, Bullet for my Valentine, Atreyu, Hawthorne Heights, Dead Poetic, Underoath, Gojira, Bloodjinn.. just to name a few. Some bands I don't know to much about but are getting some hype is Black Veil Brides and Bless the Fall.

Gold Member
Username: Freezeman_7

FOR SALE, BNIB RD AUDI... USA

Post Number: 2574
Winds of Plague is awesome, i saw them in OKC. and yes Parkway will be in Dallas on July 3rd! Cant wait to go to Warped for my 4th straight year!!!

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 905
Parkway Drive to me sounds a lot like Shadows Fall. If you havn't listened to them, they're the same style.

Gold Member
Username: Rideredder

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1859
^Kinda like Machine Head too. I like them.

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 915
I was thinking and a good song for Ehren to check out, that could introduce them to screaming with emotion, would be "meeting again for the first time" by Poison the Well. Great song. I couldn't find a youtube video of it that wasn't live. My favrite song by them comes from their second album. Years ago when I was 18-19 all I listened to was Deftones and this band. It was a luck of fate that I got to see them play together at the Norva one summer. I'd honestly say PTW put on a little better show than Deftones. If you're curious, 'poisoning the well' means to influence someone's thoughts before they have a chance to make their own. I was in a psychology class years back in college and the teacher was talking about poisoning the well and I was like, so thats what it means.

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTION, La. Lake Charles...

Post Number: 4480

bad azz cover

Pit:
There is no way to put it into words(about screaming- vocals in medal) what makes it appealing. My advice if you are seriously curious-- Go see a Top notch band live. You'll know almost instantly if it is for you. Metal is a way of life 99% of the important things in my life revolve around Metal.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4481

Gold Member

Post Number: 4482
^^^ probably favorite band out atm....

Well fu<k. If I don't stop this road I'm traveling down (fav bands) This would be the longest post ever. sooo... I'l leave it at that.

and Tool

and clutch. FU<K!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4483
Quadruple Post FTW!!!

Brad, I will send you a DL link of a few tracks from a buddys band.... Let me know what you think or if you are interested. later

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 4544
I like this song a lot. I'm guessing it's not hardcore enough for you guys.

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 3042
My favorite metal band would have to be DevilDriver. They are just plain awesome! IMO their best album is "The Last Kind Words" but their newest album "Pray For Villains" is pretty good too. The drummer is just insane!

The Last Kind Words
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZB1YJABB

Pray For Villains
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=X1PP5EFS

There ya go,check em out!

Gold Member
Username: Mrskullz1

New York

Post Number: 1726
Wow - never thought I would say this but that song by Machine Head is pretty dam good.
Never listed to this crazy metal stuff but these days my taste buds have been changing and im actually starting to like some of this stuff. Some of this stuff is pretty deep lol

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 4546
I really like some of the metal I've heard, just not most of the stuff listed in this thread I guess. I absolutely get the power and emotion behind it, but the screaming just doesn't do it for me. I like some of the more melodic, or even theatrical stuff. I like Dethklok, Lordi, that kinda stuff. I don't know if you guys think they suck or if they're kind of in a different sub-category in the metal world or what. Metalocalypse is good sh!t.

Brad is going to murder me for this comparison, but the real heavy stuff reminds me a lot of hip hop in some ways. People either get it or they don't. A lot of people who don't "get" metal would say "anyone can just scream into a microphone or wail on drums or a guitar". But a true fan can tell the good from the bad a mile away. Same for rap music. Some people think anyone can rap, or anyone can produce a good track, but again, a saavy listener can spot the trash.

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 945
I can agree with the rap and metal comparison. I like the really hard, gangster type rap. Just like I enjoy the heavier type metal/hard rock. Both are just full of energy and really up beat. Dethklok is pretty awesome, I would also agree. They have a lot of good songs and its all produced by one guy. Pretty amazing that one man can produce music that in some cases is better than "real" bands.

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 3049
Ehren you would probably like the band Dope or the band Flaw. They are metal,kinda, but also have a lot of softer stuff. Look up

Dope-"sing"
Dope-"another day goes by"
Flaw-"best i am"

Really anything by Dope f*ckin rocks tho!

Silver Member
Username: Finish22

Post Number: 238

Gold Member

Post Number: 4484
Brad and whoever is interested

http://www.sendspace.com/file/t71r3h

Here are about 10 tracks from my friends Band. After you DL, you will need to unzip.. Read the text file 1st.

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5778
Seems like the guy is talented Mark, and he has some good ideas, but the production (I know it was done in a bedroom but it could have been much better with what he had tracked) needs to be tweaked. The guitars and bass and keys kind of glob together in the middle because they aren't EQ'd or panned correctly. Then other songs the guitar is super bright and has that cheesy "plugged through a metal distortion pedal straight to the board" sound. Good drum-machine programming and EQ on most songs.

But overall, for what it is, I can dig it.... Kind of like Korn meets Parliament meets Pink Floyd.

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5779
Oh and SKD, it was actually two guys but close enough.

The beast Gene Hoglan did all the drums.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 8176
Dear god....THIS IS METAL NOW DAYS????
wow, i is become sad.
Just I'm just used to the old days of REAL METAL.
I weep for the resident Screamo's here on E.

Ok, well here is 'a song'.
And I will continue to post 'a song' until someone else posts 'a song' I like.

Open season my friends.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 23196
Try again.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4485

If these ol' trusty stand-by's don'tdo It for ya, well You have issues. lol

Gold Member

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1876
I know someone is going to give me sh!t but Bullet For My Valentine is one of my favorite bands. Call it Nu metal, Emo, whatever, I love it.

Gold Member

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1877
But my favorite band is and always be Mudvayne. The first time I saw the video for Dig I was hooked. Not to mention that they originated form a town not an hour from where I live.

Gold Member

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1878
I love this video too.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4486
I was at the" Thanks Peoria" Concert That Mudvayne put on for free a while back... I was layed over in Morton Il for work.. Was a sick azz show. Free too.

Gold Member

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1879
Hell yeah, they always put on an awesome show. I've seen them three times in Peoria and four times in Milwaukee. The crowd is insane when the play in Peoria. It's their home town. The last time I seen them the lineup was Sevendust, 10 Years and American Head Charge. Two days after that concert the guitarist of American Head Charge died of a accidental overdose of cold medicine, or so they say.

Anyway, this is my favorite AHC song.

Gold Member

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1880
My brother was at this concert.

Gold Member

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3168
i wouldn't mind seeing them with Portnoy

Gold Member

Post Number: 4487
I will be going to the UPROAR Festival.. Can't wait.
Jagermeister STAGE
Local Jagermeister-Sponsored Opening Band 3:35
Hail The Villain 4:05
New Medicine 4:40
Airbourne 5:20
Hellyeah 6:00

ROCKSTAR MAIN STAGE
Halestorm 6:40
Stone Sour 7:30
Avenged Sevenfold 8:35
Disturbed 9:55

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 634
NO lamb of god fans???

Killswitch Engaged?

Mushroomhead?

Chimaira? No vid,but i love this song!!

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 635

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 636

r.i.p. dimebag

Gold Member

Post Number: 4488
LOG is up there. Saw em withShadows Fall a few years back. Before the Sacrament album. L.O.G. Killadelphia is a great DVD..

Korn is one of the best out there with the exception of a couple albums.. .Seen em live about 6 times..

Already mentioned Mushroomhead and Killswitch..

Not a fan of Megadeath although I respect their massive following and body of work.. Not a fan of Dave's Vocals. Reminds me of Axel Rose. Sounds like they are choking on a dIck..

one of the first bands (before Korn) whio startedthe new Metal/rap style of metal.

A perfect circle
Tool
Sevendust
Spineshank -Strictly Diesel (great album)
Children Of Bodom
OPETH
OTEP
Slipknot
Coal Chamber
DevilDriver
White Zombie
Rage against The Machine

few more to look into

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 956
Holy shiznit I havnt heard old KoRn in a long time. I used to LOOOOOVE some korn, thats for sure. Even had long hair in high school and keep it in braids like Head. Their first album is their best by far. I've also been a huge fan of deftones for the longest time. afanofdeftones is my user name most everywhere online.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 637
lol I understand what you mean about dave,but my first concert was white zombie,pantera an megadeath an ever since then i was hooked. Love,korn,rage,slipknot,tool all that stuff as well. Its been a couple years since ive been to a show,but ive seen just about every band possible. Alice in chains was the one i regret never seeing. I remember seeing the deftones in this little pavilon at are local comunity college back in 92 or 93. Maybe earlier than that,loved them ever since. Im more of a fan of older stuff,well earlier stuff i should say. Some newer stuff i can get into ,some not so much. Log killadelphia is sick! Love those guys.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 638
Couple others i like-

murderdolls
slayer
meshuggah
bleeding through
mastodon
black dahlia
arch enemy
walls of jericho
as i lay dying
10 years
old sod
and how can i forget hatebreed!

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 639
I totally agree with you skd,there first album was bad azz. Theres only 1 or 2 albums that i didnt care for. I acually just heard a new song from them on the radio,wasnt to bad. Looks like they got a new drummer?

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 957
I agree, the new korn does sound pretty good. I think I've heard two singles and both sounded ok. I definitely want to pick up their first album again. I might get their new one. Also about the other post, I like the first 2 albums from bullet for my Valentine. I got their new album and IMO it sucks hardcore.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4489
The new Korn single sucks azz... I hope the ulbum has better sh
t that that.. Yall are the 1st people that I have heard say that they liked it.

Gold Member

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1881
I downloaded the new KoRn album a couple weeks ago. I don't listen to the radio that much but the only song they played was the first song. I didn't think it was that bad. The rest of the album, ehh...

^^As good as it gets IMO.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 642
^^Your right,that is as good as it gets. I was simply saying the new song wasnt bad,but by no means is it like there old stuff.

And i love what Jonathan Davis did for te Queen of the damned soundtrack too.

Gold Member

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1884
A couple more of my favorite KoRn songs.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 658
Nice! Life is peachy... great album!
Did you like follow the leader?
Two of my favorite Korn songs

Gold Member

Post Number: 4490
somehing I discovered a long time ago.

Play the video "I'm just a Girl" with no sound while listening to " Ball Tongue" audio only. Pretty cool and funny..

Helps to be higher than giraffe Pas-sy! lol

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 659
lol Do i wanna know how you figured that one out? Cant be as cool as playing dark side of the moon to the wizard of oz. lol I'll have to try it out though.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 660
I just dl the new Acacia strain "Wormwood"
Pretty sick album

Gold Member

Post Number: 4491
you were asking about Korn's new drummer..... Well here is a preview..

Gold Member

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1886
Damn. How does he not get wore out after the first song?

Anyways, Neil Peart. Best drummer EVER!!

He seems so calm when he plays while most other people look like they're going to die half way through the set.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4492

much more impressive

saved the best for last.. watch entire vid!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4493

if you liked that last one... I know it's not Metal..

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4743365714080843515&hl=en#

another great show- 007

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 661
Danny Carey all the way!

One of the best ever,imo

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 995
Downloaded the first KoRn album last night, hadn't heard a lot of these songs in years. Such a GREAT album.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 676
^Yes it is! One of my all time favorites. Id say there first 4 albums were pretty dam good. After that... not so much.

Gold Member

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3194
so... please, no more vids lol. text is enough

going back to the origin on this.. i decided to go into depth on Parkway Drive and see what their sound started like. no lie, i enjoy their first album more so than any of the main releases. i implore you to give it a listen. just has such pure, natural, unadulterated sound to it not smothered by a studio. i almost shed a tear. wish more albums sounded like it.

it's widely available through torrent sites. a quick PD search in nowtorrents will yield results. album is titled "Don't Close Your Eyes" (probably find the special edition). and of course if you enjoy it i ask you support them financially on their endeavor to rock your f*cking socks off.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 729
Ok....one last vid. lol
I heard this today for the fist time in like 10years. Thought i would share

Gold Member

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3199
holy sh!t i remember that video! i was very young lol, i'm glad you posted that Sean.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us