Helping people

Silver Member
Username: Semperfi

Post Number: 230
ok so I've alays liked helping people when they NEED it, donating blood, and plasma, has anyone donated bone marrow before? im interested in doing this and wondering what i would be getting into? i have a O- blood (very crappy blood to have you can only take O- if you need blood) can anyone help with my questions?

Gold Member
Username: Pitbullguy

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3827
Good for you, your heart is in a good place. To donate marrow is a much bigger deal than blood, you have to go through a surgical procedure. Hope this helps.

http://www.wikihow.com/Donate-Bone-Marrow

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6482
I belive it is supposed to be painful.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 20265
^^^I believe so too. Don't let that stop you though. That's a VERY noble thing to do that could save a life.

Silver Member

Post Number: 232
pit that helped, but i clicked on the US link at the bottom and it said link could not be found?

Silver Member
Username: Wickedbass

Nashville, Tn

Post Number: 522
Believe it or not man I actually have. Wasn't too long ago either, around the end of this past summer. They used the "peripheral" (sp?) method. The one where they don't drill into your hip. I got a shot every morning for a week before going to donate on the fifth day. The actual donating process wasn't TOO bad. It was fairly painless but I had too lay still for about 6 1/2 hours which got old really quick. The worst part for me (which still wasn't all that bad) was the daily shots. They make you kinda tired and achy.

I looked around a bit and this link pretty well sums up my experience.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bone-marrow/CA00047

Any other questions you have man please let me know. I will help as much as I can.

Silver Member

Post Number: 233
where should i go to get this done? do i go to a hospital? since im in the corps, do you think i'll still be able to do it? im going to ask my COC tomorrow but yea.

Silver Member

Nashville, Tn

Post Number: 525
Are you already on the donor registry? Is there a patient out there waiting for a transplant? I think its a little different than donating blood where they can keep it for a while (im pretty sure, but not 100% on the ends and outs of the process).

When I was in high school a good friend of mine was diagnosed with leukemia. I got tested to see if I could potentially donate marrow to him. The test results were then put into the national registry. Three years later I came up as a match for someone. Thats how I ended up donating.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4770
Did you just watch 7 Pounds?

Seriously?

Anyway, Thats nice of you to do.

Silver Member

Nashville, Tn

Post Number: 531
^Never seen it. Heard it was good though.

Silver Member

Post Number: 234
no why? is it a good movie?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us