Campers and trailers

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 17565
Alright fellow Ecoustic asylum members. Throw some good suggestions out there at me. My family has pressured me over and over to go camping/rv'ing the last few years and they're bought me so much gear over the last few years for Xmas and b-days that I'm all out of excuses. I used to go to Canada every year when I was younger and loved it. I didn't mind roughing it. I have two young kids today though, and a bro-in-law who thinks roughing it is for the stone age.

So I've been pricing campers and trailers. I wanted to start with a pop-up trailer since they are the cheapest entry level solution. You get your kitchen and even heat and ac. Problem is the tent like feel you get in them and the bathroom is the farthest thing from a room. More like an oversized bucket you sit in to bathe and use the toilet. Not attractive or private.

Then there are the tow behinds. More expensive but basically a home on wheels. Full bathrooms and kitchens with all the extras like full size fridge and freezer, seperate rooms for living/sleeping, big attached awnings ect.....

Then there are the third wheel campers. Waaay out of my price range (even used) so this is where it ends for them lol.

Here are some examples of what I have been looking at. Anyone have any experiences/suggestions they would like to offer? I wouldn't be investing in this for a one shot deal seeing as I love the outdoor life and want to expose my kids more to it in the future. I think everyone today needs more of it.

First is the entry level pop-up type. Cheap but useful.

http://www.whitehorserv.com/inventory_item.asp?id=520700

You can see the "bathroom". Not good enough for me.

Then a few tow behinds. Used but not too worn. Great shape actually. Everything you need/want.

http://www.whitehorserv.com/inventory_item.asp?id=506284

Then one even cheaper but a little older. Still very nice on the inside.

http://www.whitehorserv.com/inventory_item.asp?id=525209

I'm not looking to break the bank but I'd like my family to be comfortable when needed.

Any thoughts?

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6322
i used to do alot of camping havnt latly just been so busy, never done the rv thing. had a friend bring a pop up once and i didnt care for it and wouldnt suggest spending the money on one.

get a tow behind that your truck will handel, its not how fast you can go just how fast you can stop.

iv been in some tow behinds and there are some nice ones that would fit you and your kids that should be resonable priced used, i dont know but i would think these also have a better resale value then a pop up.

i have no idea as to what brands and stuff like that though hopefully someone else will.

Gold Member

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6323
oh another huge advantage of the tow behind is you can store your stuff in it and youll have more room in the truck.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17568
Yeah the more I think about it the tow behinds are much more suited for families. Not to mention the one above isn't much more than the pop up. With my truck's engine it's supposed to be rated for 12,000+ lbs in towing capacity. More than enough for either of those two. My folks have a few acres so storing it there is convenient. X2 on the storage.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4154
How about just renting one for the week? If your not a big camper, it may be an option. RV USA rents them. kinda a Uhaul thing.

Or just rent a uhaul, get insurance on it, Cut a hole in the floor, and install a regular toilet. Then just pop a piece of sheet metal over it and return it. Also, sawzall a few "windows" in the side, and silicone screen over it. Maybe a sky light or two as well. Then on the way back to return it, roll it on an offramp and destoy all evidence.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17574
Don't forget about the hole in the roof so the smoke from the campfire won't suffocate my kids and I.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17580
Oh I just HAVE to post this vid. I guess it makes sense to KNOW THE HEIGHT OF ANYTHING YOU TOW!!! Nobody died, thank god.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4156
wow, thats crazy. how they walked away, or lived is a miricle.

Gold Member

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6328
holyshit

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2509

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17844
Took the dive today fellas. Got a great deal too. I have to install a special fifth wheel hitch on my truck but check her out. Kitchen is in fantastic shape and so is the rest of her. I have some upgrading to do, especially the sound system but I'm happy with it. And I got it substantially below the listing price. It pays to be straight forward sometimes.

I get her on Tuesday.

http://www.whitehorserv.com/inventory_item.asp?id=509126

Gold Member

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6336
that looks you and your kids will have a good time.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17848
Yuuuuuup.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4203
Wow, Thats a nice camper. The kids wont want to leave it when you go camping. They will sit inside in the ac playing vid games, lol.

Start planning your next summer trip?
You could go visit everyone on the forum. lol.
Have fun.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17849
The family wants to go to Lake George up in NY state next year. I'm debating on if I want to haul it that far. Ocean city, Poconos, the shore, ect....all much closer. It will get used. I grew up camping at KOA almost every year. My grandparents took us. Awesome times. That's what I want for my kids.

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 4474
lake george is always a good time and a good history lesson at the same time lol

im going camping columbus day wknd in the white mountains up in NH its gonna be cold

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17852
You must be familiar with it being as close as you are Charlie. We're thinking summer next year. My sister and her husband are going to rent a cabin. $1600/week.

Ouch. Must be VERY good up there lol.

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 4476
paul its about 6 hrs from were i lie but ive been there twice it is very nice though good times

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17856
Sounds great. Everyone's looking forward to it. My sister is spending waaay too much time in planning everything. She wants it to be perfect for everyone.

Personally I'm happy out in the middle of nowhere (almost) with nobody to bother but ourselves. Fishing during the day, cards and beer drinking at night. Simple but sweet. I tell you food cooked outdoors just has a primal grab on me.

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 4477
lol im with u my fav is the campfire and booze

Gold Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 2643
lake george is cool if u have a boat .. if not kinda boring IMO

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17891
Well when I went to Thousand Islands to fish for two weeks we rented house boats to do it in. Fantastic idea. We hopped from island to island, each one having something different to offer. The problem with fishing in Lake George from the way I see it is it's too commercialized. Water skiers, paddle boats, recreational boaters, ect...

I've never been there so I'm speculating but still.

Before I ever saw Niagra falls I pictured this majestic natural wonder in all her glory. Then when I got there I couldn't get a picture without some dumb billboard or plane towing a sign diluting it. Still worth seeing but not what I expected.

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 4480
ive always wanted to theer paul never got the chance maybe this year ill take a wknd trip or something lol

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17916
Just came back from my walk through. Ac blows cold, all appliances work great, they filled both my 30lb lp tanks, new deep cycle marine battery, new waste dump hose, replaced all burned out lamp bulbs, showed me how everything works. They were going to deliver it tonight but they had a problem with their tow vehicle. It will be in my driveway when I get home from work tomorrow.

No pun intended, I'm a happy camper lol.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 18072
Here's a little follow up on that vid. Still amazing lol.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us